Just off the Star Princess and likely a Princess Convert (formerly a Disney cruiser)

tinybiny

I've only sailed Disney prior to this cruise. We just got back from a 4 night on the Star princess and it was spectacular. I don't have pictures to share (only took pics of my stateroom and a couple at the ports). I do, however, have many comparisons between Star Princess and Disney Wonder. I've been on Disney Wonder 4 times and Disney Dream once. At this point, I can barely remember Disney Dream.

Overall, Disney ships are much cleaner. I never saw a dirty window on the Wonder, but don't think I ever saw a clean window on the Star. The ones that weren't exactly dirty were scratched.

I could easily go hungry on a Disney cruise. I could easily overeat and gain a ton of weight on the Star Princess. The food was spectacular and there was never any end to the food. Most of the desserts on Wonder look pretty, but don't taste like anything. The desserts on the Star taste #^@^!^ delicious.

The servers are excellent on both Disney Wonder and the Star. The servers are much more relaxed on the Star, which made me much more relaxed. My husband said maybe the servers on Disney are in constant fear of losing their jobs. There is a huge difference in how they come across. Disney servers give a speech about wanting excellent ratings. I never heard anything like that on the Star.

I've always had excellent cabin stewards. I usually don't make special requests, but this time we asked our Star steward to bring us robes and ice. We had our items immediately.

There are a million more places for adults only on the Star than on the Wonder. We used the Thermal Spa and the Sanctuary on the Star. They were both very good.

I could easily become a Princess convert. The only things that are keeping me sailing with Disney in the near future is that it sails out of my home port and if I travel with my daughter, she eats chicken strips every day. I didn't see any chicken strips on the Star. They may have been around somewhere, but I wasn't looking for them and they didn't jump out at me. My husband thinks I am crazy that I would pay Disney prices for chicken strips. Since my daughter is an adult, she pays her fare. If she wants chicken strips, she can pay for those.

The Disney ships look cleaner and that gives off an overall cleaner feel. It's a strange thing to describe. The public restrooms on Disney are fancy and well maintained. I didn't find any like that on the Star. I actually found the public restrooms to be what I'd consider "yucky" on the Star. She is getting a makeover soon, so maybe that will change. Often the toilets had out of order signs on them.

A more detailed review for those who like to sit around and read....

Boarding the ship: First off, the port in San Pedro is very easy to deal with. We drove around to the porters to drop off our luggage. A man ran up to us right away and offered to help us. I don't know if they are all the good, or if it was because I was holding some dollar bills in my hand. He took all our stuff and told us how to drive around to park. Very friendly and fast service. I was very impressed. We don't have that kind of service at the San Diego port.

After I parked, we walked in and only had a couple people ahead of us in line. Check in was very fast and easy. Boarding the ship was easy. They had us board in the rear of the ship on deck 7. On Disney, we always board in the central atrium and they make a big deal, announcing us when we board. It wasn't like that here. We were directed to elevators. They had elevator stewards for this part. Our was annoyed that we didn't know which floor we were on. We told our deck name and room number and he told us we were on deck 9, but never seemed to get over the annoyance that we didn't know which deck we were on when he first asked.

Score one for Disney for the actual boarding (walking into the ship).

Stateroom: We had an aft balcony. It is hard to compare rooms from Disney to Princess. There aren't any comparable rooms from what I can tell. Perhaps a Princess mini suite would compare to a Disney balcony cabin. I have only stayed in ocean view rooms on Disney. It seems like the Disney ocean view rooms are bigger than the Princess balcony rooms. Disney ocean view has a fold down couch (that becomes a bed) and a center table that we didn't have on Princess. Disney also has a split bathroom which is like 2 bathrooms. So, one person can shower while the other uses the toilet. There are bathtubs in the Disney ocean view rooms, making the shower a lot larger. Star Princess has a large walk in type closet.

I will say I was disappointed walking into my stateroom on the Star. I am used to the look of Disney and their rooms have a very neat and clean appearance. It must be the colors or something. I was worried about the bathroom on the Star, but it turned out fine once I got used to it. On Disney, I've always had the one very large, very clean window. On the Star, I had the aft balcony, which was spacious and awesome. I learned that I actually don't spend much time in my room and room size actually doesn't matter to me, especially on Princess with the food everywhere all the time. On Disney, we've been stuck ordering room service a few times because of the lack of anytime food. I think the couch and table are more necessary on Disney if we continue to eat at off times.

More to come later.

Ok, here is the deal. First, thanks for the comparison and glad you enjoyed your Star cruise. Maybe you should ask for things. If you don't see chicken strips; ask for them. They will most likely get you some. Disney ships are built for families; by that; they are built to have larger staterooms to accommodate families. they don't want the family to feel crowded in stateroom. So in order to do this; they charge more. Their fares include a larger stateroom; sodas, and you name announced when you board. I booked Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas out of Port Canaveral for seven days with an owners suite; plus three inside cabins for my family of 10. I paid $2000 less for a seven day trip than what Disney wanted to charge for 4 night cruise and without any owners suite. So for me; and I am only speaking for me; when I am footing entire bill; 7 night verses 4 night for way less money on a ship that has everything for kids of all ages; no brainer.

Excellent comparison review. Looking forward to the rest.

Glad you are enjoying it. I feel like I need to hurry and post the rest before I forget, lol.

Ok, here is the deal. First, thanks for the comparison and glad you enjoyed your Star cruise. Maybe you should ask for things. If you don't see chicken strips; ask for them.

My daughter wasn't on this cruise. If she was, we would have asked about chicken strips for sure. I didn't even look at the room service menu - it could have been there like it is on the Disney room service menu. I also never asked for the child's dinner menu (might be on there), but I did request a child's dessert one night. I told my server I read about a Love Boat dessert and he explained 2 versions to me. I asked for the volcano one (read about it on here) and he brought it. It was crazy good and I could only eat about half of it. Tips from reading here gave me a huge edge on this cruise.

Now to try to post as much as I can before I forget everything that I wanted to post. :p

Spa Tour: We went to the spa as I read on here that if we wanted the Thermal Spa, we needed to secure that right away. I asked if we could look at it, they offered us a tour of the entire spa. I have never done a tour of the Disney Spas, but did get stuff done on Disney before. I do believe Disney offers spa tours on the first day, I just never go there on the first day. The spa tour on Star was great. I met lots of the people who work there and heard all about their treatments and offerings. There was no hard sell. If I showed an interest in anything, they did offer to book an appointment, but weren't pushy when I said I wanted to think for a while. I get a monthly massage or facial at home and therefore had no interest in doing one of those on board. We saw a gentleman getting a facial treatment and it looked like it would be good for my husband. We asked about it. It included a shave, facial, neck, scalp, arm and hand massage for $95. We felt that was comparable to what we'd pay near home and my husband would never book that for himself at home, so we decided to book it for him that same night. I opted to get my hair colored at the same time. Ridiculous as it sounds, I've been meaning to get color in my hair for several months, but never take the time to do it. I had my hair colored and washed\/blow dried while he had his facial. I didn't have a hard sell for any products. I did have a hard sell for products all 3 times I had spa treatments on Disney Wonder. It was truly relaxing to not have to say no several times at the end of the treatment. I looked at pricing for some of their other treatments and found everything on par with what is charged near me in San Diego. Disney pricing is generally much higher than what I'd pay for similar treatments near home.

We saw the thermal spa and decided to book it. $69./each for unlimited for the 4 night cruise. I think we used it 3 times. I won't book it again in the future. While it is nice, I'd rather pay per use, which wasn't offered at the time. However, a couple days into the cruise, I saw someone touring it. So, maybe if they don't sell out on the first day, I could have purchased a pass for the remaining days. The thermal spa package comes with a scrub that you can use in one of the steam rooms. There are 2 steam rooms, one tiled sauna, and four heated tile loungers. The heated tile loungers were very comfortable. There is a sign that says not to use them for more 20 minutes at a time so others can use them, but they were never full when we were there. Overall, it was nice, but unless you plan to use it every day, I don't see the value. When I saw there was a free sauna and steamroom in the women's locker room, I knew I wouldn't be in a hurry to book the thermal spa in the future. The benefit to the thermal spa is that it is co-ed if you want to use those things with travel partner of the opposite sex. I believe some of the Disney ships offer something like this, but I've never looked into it.

The Sanctuary: WOW. All ships needs this. I read on here that you need to hit the Sanctuary right away to pick your lounger (thanks PaminCA who I actually sat by). After the spa tour, we went to the Sanctuary. They were letting people book by the day and not making anyone book the entire cruise. We chose 2 afternoons, our sea day and our Ensenada day since we had a morning excursion on Ensenada day. I know it depends greatly on how you like to cruise, but for those of us who want to sit quietly and read a book or take a nap or just feel like we have our own secret place, the Sanctuary is the place to be. Disney has absolutely nothing like this. The sanctuary sits up high in the front of the ship. I had an almost center front row lounger. There is afternoon tea service. I think they came around with it around 4:00pm. First they bring you coffee or tea. Then, they came around with a bunch of cookies. I decided to try a couple of them. Then, they came around with scones with clotted cream and jam - okay, I had to try one of those. Then, they came by again, this time with a plate of pastries. I wasn't expecting that much. On my second day, I was sure to pace to myself and was prepared for all the treats coming my way.

I will book the sanctuary again. Spoiler alert (didn't update my signature yet), I canceled my July 2018 Disney Alaska cruise and booked one on Island Princess instead. If they have the sanctuary like the one on the Star, I'll book it for every sea and glacier day for sure.

Leaving Ensenada, I was looking forward to sitting on my lounger and feeling like I was driving out of the port, but we had 3 people who were late getting back to the ship and the ship set sail later and my time in the Sanctuary expired just before we were sailing out of port. Ironically, the captain had several comments about the late people. I recommend that you never be late. Their names and stateroom # were called over the loud speaker many times. When they were finally found on shore, the captain announced that they finally figured out where the ship was and they were running as fast as they could to get back to the ship. Even from the sanctuary, I could hear the rest of the ship hollering and clapping when the late people finally got back.

Muster Drill/Safety: On the Star they referred to this a safety instruction, which was a good description because there was a lot more information than just the muster drill. I was seated in the Vista Lounge so the experience was easy and pleasant. I've had both indoor seating and outdoor standing on Disney. Disney's is shorter because it is literally a muster drill and nothing else. We don't even bring our life jackets to it. Although, the last Disney cruise I was on, a family was missing for a long time and we all had to stand outside in our lines for a long time while the entire ship was searched for them.

Cruise Critic Meet and Greet: We had a meet and greet set up by Paristravel. It was nice to meet everyone who attended. I was able to ask a lot of the experienced Princess cruisers lots of questions about how things are done and also about future itineraries, etc. Overall, I would say that Princess loyalists seem like a satisfied bunch. Before I booked this cruise, I had looked into Celebrity, Carnival and Norweigen. Those, along with Disney regulars seem to be unsatisfied with all the cut backs, upcharges, etc. I do read some of that in the Princess forum, but much less than all the other forums.

Dinner: I ended up booking early MDR. Originally, I had chosen anytime dining, something that Disney needs desperately. Anytime I mention on any Disney board that I don't like their dining, a bunch of people post about how great it is and that there is so much food for me to chose from. After 5 Disney cruises, I am 100% sure that their overall food doesn't work for me. It works great for my daughter, who can get chicken strips any time of day. When I saw I could choose anytime dining on Princess, I thought it was going to be love at first bite. As my cruise got closer, I read a few threads on here about people having to wait a long time if they ate before 7:30 and my husband has a gluten intolerance and I thought it would be easier to have the same wait staff every night.

Our cruise was sold out and early dining was full, but I put us on the wait list. We were #81 on the wait list, but a few days before take off, I noticed we were confirmed for 5:30 dining. I requested 6:00, but we were confirmed for 5:30, so I planned on that. When I got my cruise card, it said 5:15. It kept getting earlier, but it didn't really matter. Our table had seating for 9, but 2 didn't show up. Our servers were exactly what I would have requested if we could pick exactly what we wanted. First off, I noted my husband's gluten intolerance online before the cruise. At dinner, they gave him a gluten free bread basket and said they would be taking his order a night early every night to make sure he got whatever he wanted and that it would be gluten free. Aside from that, my husband seems to always decide he wants a glass of wine after they've already done drink orders and removed the wine glasses. They never batted an eye and got him his wine quickly, even though they had to do things out of order for him.

Disney makes a big deal about their dinners. I never care for the loudness of the places and servers are very uncomfortable if we don't order much food. They also give a speech about how they want everything to be excellent. My head server on my last Disney cruise told me the theme of the restaurant, the food and the service all needed to be excellent. Well, what can she possible do if I think the theme isn't any good? If I put on my comment card that I don't think animator's palate lighting and walls, it comes off of the server's reviews. it's ridiculous. They are a bundle of nerves and generally don't leave us alone because they want their excellent marks. I often avoid the MDRs on Disney because I like to relax when I eat and not have someone constantly asking if I need anything and if everything is excellent. I don't hold it against the servers. It does make me annoyed with Disney the company, though.

My Star Princess dinners were very relaxed. I could tell my server was eaves dropping while we were eating, but he wasn't being invasive. He was just listening to see if we wanted anything else or more and was very quick when we did. He was absolutely perfect in his non invasive approach. I filled out a comment card about him and the assistant server (as well as a server at the International Cafe). I've never taken the time to fill out one on a Disney cruise, but felt that these guys deserved special recognition. No idea if they will get any, but they made our cruise dining experience excellent. I also like sitting at the same table in the same restaurant every night. They don't do that on Disney.

More later if I can remember, lol.

Pretty sure the chicken tenders(aka "CHICK-CHICK-CHICKEN FINGERS - A hands-down favorite at Princess Cruises dipped in BBQ sauce or ranch dressing") are still on the MDR kids menu, along with several other kid(and adult) friendly items. Some nights, I just order the kid's spaghetti and meatballs as my entrée, with a salad and dessert off the adult menu. The waiter has never skipped a beat when I do so. Even if you are over 12, you can order off the kids menu without any problem.

If you like banana splits, ask for the Volcano one night in the MDR. You will be the envy of the entire table.

GI didn't even look at the room service menu - it could have been there like it is on the Disney room service menu. I also never asked for the child's dinner menu (might be on there), but I did request a child's dessert one night. I asked for the volcano one (read about it on here) and he brought it. It was crazy good and I could only eat about half of it. Tips from reading here gave me a huge edge on this cruise.

Chicken strips are on the child's menu and as you found out (Volcano sundae), anyone can order from it.

Thanks for the review and the comparison with Disney. Funny about the MDR servers. On our first cruise together which was on Carnival in 2000 my wife remarked about how uptight the wait staff in the dinning room always seemed. Our next cruise was in 2002 on Princess and my wife remarked how much more relaxed the wait staff in the dinning room seemed. As was your feeling, the Princess dinning experience was more pleasant for us because of the difference in the wait staff not projecting a feeling of tension. Looking forward to any more observations.

Thanks for your review. Although I don't indulge in the spa or the Sanctuary, reading the rest of it made me long to be back onboard ANY Princess ship SOON, because I love the way Princess staff and crew make me feel whenever I'm on a cruise. It's sort of like a "coming home" feeling just walking up the gangway.

Great comparison/review - thank you for taking the time to write it! I am a loyal Princess cruiser but have been experimenting with other lines to compare. I had much the same experience with Disney - some aspects were wonderful, others just no comparison and just not worth the extra $$$ in my opinion!

Thank you! We're cruising the Emerald Princess this May after being priced out of Disney. I've tried NCL and Royal, but they haven't been the right fit. You've given me hope that we may have found our new go-to line!

I've only sailed Disney prior to this cruise. We just got back from a 4 night on the Star princess and it was spectacular.
Welcome to Princess! We were DCL cruisers before our first Princess cruise...also on the Star.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

thanks very much,i very much enjoyed your review... we just got back from our first disney cruise,( 4 days).

As a long time princess cruiser i shared my thoughts here on this board and my observations were VERY similar to yours. It reaffirmed for us the dollar for dollar princess is a good value.

I'm glad people are enjoying the review/comparison. Since I don't have pictures, I wasn't sure anyone would read it.

Thanks for all the info on the chicken strips, too. That may come in handy some day.

I am going to post now specific things that stood out one way or another. I probably won't be going in order of what we did on which days, but will do my best to answer anything that anyone asks about stuff like that.

Coffee: I read that the coffee in the buffet wasn't any good and that we needed a coffee card. My husband bought a coffee card at a table near the pool on the first day. That table also sold beverage packages, soda packages, etc. I had already learned everything I needed to know about the coffee from this forum. Disney doesn't offer a prepaid coffee card. They do have a frequent buyer card that gives you a free coffee/espresso/tea after you purchase a certain number of coffees/teas. Both Princess and Disney had help yourself free coffee and tea 24 hours/day by the buffet. Both have terrible coffee by the buffet.

International Cafe was where my husband got his brewed coffee. The people working there were very friendly and remembered us each day. There is a lot of free food at the coffee bar on the Star. On Disney, there is a small selection of stuff, sometimes veggies and meat/cheese with crackers. Other times, Disney puts out some desserts. There is no comparison between the food at Disney's Cove Cafe and Princess International Cafe. International Cafe has a huge variety of snacks, desserts and stuff you can make a meal out of pretty much all day. I had a croissant once and some beet salad and pudding on my return from port one day. My last night on the ship, I had a couple of the desserts. Okay, this is the hard part - the food is so good that I could easily eat too much and get really fat. I don't have that problem on Disney. It's a strange plus and minus, I guess. While the food is good, it's also nice to not be tempted constantly.

The coffee itself and the espresso drinks were very good. On Disney, they are also good and my cappuccinos on Disney come with a Mickey Mouse head of cinnamon. I have to admit, I like the Mickey Mouse head on my cappuccino.

The Cove Cafe on Disney is for 18 + only, while International Cafe on Star is right out there in the open for everyone. The 18 + thing is kind of strange on Disney. For one, people carry in their babies/toddlers to get their drinks to go. Another issue is that they card people who are hanging out. Last year, my daughter and I were in there (she was 19) and a server asked her how old she was. She said 19 and then he asked to see her cruise card to make sure. Personally, I found it offensive to ask her and then ask for the card as if she was lying. It would have been better to ask for the card. Meanwhile, there were plenty of times when kids who looked under age 10 were in there looking for their parents. They should just make it for all ages.

At one point, my husband lost his coffee card. We found out they won't replace it. They said if it had our name/room number on it, it would be returned to us. Otherwise, it was like cash and they wouldn't give us a new one. My husband was very annoyed by that. We retraced our steps, checked lost and found, asked pretty much everywhere we were the day before and eventually found it at the spa. We used thermal spa the night before and I figured he may have dropped it when pulling out his cruise card. He wrote his room # on the card after that.

We used it a couple times at dinner. Once they marked the card, the other time they didn't mark the card, but didn't charge us for our drinks, either. A couple times at International Cafe, my husband got brewed coffee and I got brewed decaf and they didn't punch my decaf, they just said they saw the card and we were fine. I don't know if they normally do that or if they felt sorry for us for losing the card earlier. At any rate, I usually gave them an extra $1. They were so quick to clean up after us when we sat anywhere around there. There was one server who checked with us every day, asking what did on the cruise, what our plans for the day were, etc. He was so friendly that I ended up filling out a comment card about him.

Water: I drink a lot of water. I drink nearly a gallon per day. When I cruise, I order water bottles because I want to drink water easily. Drinking water on the Star is a billion times better than on Disney. The price of water bottles is reasonable on Star (I do read people complaining that it is too expensive here, but it's much more on Disney). In addition to that, there is water available to drink everywhere all the time. There were pitchers of ice water near the pools, by the buffet, in the spa, in the sanctuary... I am not sure where else, but I never had to look for water. Servers were constantly filling me up, too. One time I was eating a slice of pizza near the pool and anytime my water glass was low a server came up and asked if I wanted a refill. When I'd eat at the buffet - same thing - they were constantly refilling my water glass. I don't know if that is normal on other cruise lines, but it is not normal on Disney.

Soda: I don't drink soda normally and I didn't on this cruise. I may have never had soda on a cruise - I can't remember. Disney has help yourself soda stations with coke, diet coke and sprite and then some ice tea, I think and maybe a powerade? It's a big selling point for their cruise line. Free soda and ice cream (meanwhile I learned the free ice cream also exists on Princess). Since I am not a soda person, this does nothing for me. My husband was surprised that he wasn't going to get free soda on Princess. I explained the price difference and he still couldn't believe that there wasn't any free soda. I asked him if he will ever drink $1,000 worth of soda and why would he when it would make him fat. I don't think he ever drank any soda on this cruise.

When I got back, my daughter asked me if they had free soda. I honestly believe that soda drinkers would like to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for "free" soda. I am perplexed, but I would probably do the same thing if one offered free water and the other didn't.

In the past, in addition to the free soda pitch that people say about why Disney is worth more money, they do talk about the unlimited tea and coffee and hot chocolate. I didn't see if there was free hot chocolate on Princess (not a fan of it), but they did have coffee and tea out 25 hours/day. I am not sure if they always had the lemonade and ice tea, but I did see it out often.

Soft Serve Ice Cream: There are pluses and minuses to both cruise lines with this. On Disney, it's serve yourself and it is always messy looking (even though it is constantly being cleaned) and there are dripping wet kids from the pool cutting the line constantly. The sight of it is gross to me being out in the open with grubby hands everywhere and dripping wet kids shoving in front of me. So, when I saw on the Star that you don't help yourself, they serve it to you, I was very happy. It looks cleaner and more sanitary that way with a counter keeping people away from the machines. However, the consistency was blech. On the Star, it was clearly ice milk and didn't have a feel of soft serve ice cream at all. On Disney, it's like a frostie, a true soft serve ice cream. So, I like the serving better on Star, but the ice cream better on Disney. Of course, I don't need the calories and I'm better off avoiding the whole area on both cruises.

The Star also had a sign by the soft serve that said you could get a milkshake for $2.50. They don't have that by the soft serve on Disney, but you can get a shake made at Cove Cafe (18+) and at another place indoors on the ship. I think $2.50 is a reasonable price. I don't remember how much the charge on Disney.

Breakfast: I had one sit down breakfast and ate at the buffet the other mornings. I found the sit down breakfast to be excellent. We shared a table of 6. I enjoyed the service and talking to the other cruisers. After that first breakfast, my husband wanted to look at the buffet and he said he would rather have buffet because there were so many choices. I would have stuck it out with the sit down breakfast in the restaurant because I was enjoying the service. He was right, though. The buffet had so many choices and I was able to get a yogurt parfait and a salad along with my eggs and cheese, etc. I felt they had a lot of very healthy choices as well as lots of sweets if we wanted to go that route.

On Disney, I tend to do the breakfast buffet, but there are far less choices. I am thinking there's about 1/3 of the choices on Disney compared to what the Star buffet offers. It's completely tolerable on Disney, but I think I just got spoiled with choices on Princess. When I have a sit down breakfast on Disney, it's a very formal feeling event. Again, the servers seemed more stressed out on Disney. They are helpful and willing to get whatever we want, but there's a feeling of trying to too hard. It disrupts my meal in a way.

Pizza: I've had cheese pizza near the pool on Disney a few times. It's not particularly tasty, but it is convenient to get when I am super hungry coming in from an excursion. The hours are limited and more often than not, it isn't open when I am looking for something to eat.

I wasn't going to eat Pizza by the pool on the Star, but someone said it was knee buckling good and I didn't believe them, so I decided to try it out. It's a good thing I was sitting down when I ate it. I had a four cheese, all white pizza slice. If I wasn't sitting down, my knees would have buckled and I would have dropped the pizza on the ground. I was sitting alone, yet speaking out loud about how good it was. I was near all the drunk people at the pool and there was live music, so I don't think I looked too insane, but I was talking out loud to myself about how good it was. I suppose a server was aware of that since she was refilling my water so often.