Leaving 15 yr old on ship whilst in port

hi all.

Sorry if this has been answered before but I can't find a similar thread using the search function. We are taking our 15 year old (nearly 16) on a cruise this summer on Navigator. The trouble is that he is very lazy and is happy to sit, eat, browse the Internet etc all day whereas we enjoy walking around and exploring the ports. Are we able to leave him on the ship for a couple of hours alone? I know there are clubs but knowing him, he won't want to join in with any activities. Thanks in advance. XXXX

You probably can and I personally would have no problems with it at that age, but you are probably about to open a firestorm of differing opinions about your lack of parenting skills..Haha. You know your kid, we don't.

Go for it and enjoy. He'll be fine I'm sure.

Has he cruised before? Most likely if he stays in the cabin or walks around the public areas, he'll be fine. Make sure his ship sign and sail card can purchase food at specialty dining areas or the ice cream shop. Otherwise, I don't see any reason why he couldn't stay on board. Not like he's 5 or 10 years younger.

What will you do if you miss the ship out of curiosity ?

I was thinking about that also. We were in Cozumel one day, and after watching another ship

leaving the port, a couple came running up the pier. They were screaming "But our kids on

on board...come back..come back!!" Which they did not.

Yikes. :(

hi all.

Sorry if this has been answered before but I can't find a similar thread using the search function. We are taking our 15 year old (nearly 16) on a cruise this summer on Navigator. The trouble is that he is very lazy and is happy to sit, eat, browse the Internet etc all day whereas we enjoy walking around and exploring the ports. Are we able to leave him on the ship for a couple of hours alone? I know there are clubs but knowing him, he won't want to join in with any activities. Thanks in advance. XXXX

Precisely why we are going for an "unplugged" vacation. And why we don't allow our children to have that much electronic time. We want them to enjoy life and not rely solely on electronics for entertainment.

But at that age, I would think he would be fine being on the ship alone for a few hours.

Years ago my sister and BIL were on a cruise with their three teenage boys. The boys spent almost the entire time in their cabins ordering room service, watching movies, and hanging out. They never got off the ship. They had a wonderful time...we all have our own idea of what constitutes a great vacation.

If you can trust them to stay home alone or go out to the mall alone or with friends, I would trust them to stay on the ship alone. There is always that small chance that something happens and you are unable to make it back to the ship, but you only live once, right? A 15 year old would be just fine to survive without their parents for a few days and what better place to do it than a cruise ship where someone makes your bed and prepares all your meals?

We left our son on board for a few hours when he was that age with no issues. I wouldn't count on the teen area being open with supervision though, it wasn't when we left our son on board. Adventure Ocean is open but the teen area is run differently.

We did not go on a full day excursion with him on the ship alone, we were gone only a few hours and we returned to the ship a couple of hours prior to all aboard.

You know your child, if he is responsible and will follow instructions, then I wouldn't have an issue leaving him. If he is known to get into mischief, I would drag him along with me.

I can't imagine why not. A 15 year old should be spending hours a day away from parents. I don't even think it would be the end of the world if you missed the ship. I have a friend who leaves her almost 15 year olds alone overnight.

Plenty old enough. This doesn't compare to leaving much younger children onboard. You know your child and most kids at almost 16 are pretty responsible. It's the ones that aren't that ruin it for everyone else:D

If you're comfortable with it and know he will follow the rules, go for it. If you don't think he can follow rules, then don't. Parents have been kicked off ships for their child's behavior (usually involving alcohol or doing really stupid stunts).

Our girls always got off the ship with us but occasionally if we wanted to stay in port longer than them we would take them back to the ship and they would be by themselves onboard for several hours. We never had an issue. But they were responsible and mature for their ages and we had strict instructions that they were to stay together, no swimming and no getting off the ship. If a child is level-headed and can be trusted at home alone, being on the ship alone should be fine.

Reverse of this - what if my kids want to get off in Labadee and I don't. Ages 15 and 17. I'm leaning against that but then again we were totally separated in Labadee last time and had a meetup point.

Sent from my XT1575 using Forums mobile app

Your kids will not be able to leave the ship alone since they are minors, you would need to go off the ship with them. I have seen them stop kids getting off the ship and ask them who they are with. I am sure there are other kids that have been able to mix in with another family and get off the ship, but I wouldn't count on it.

Ha ha. Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. Some of them had me howling. If we missed the boat our teen probably wouldn't bat an eyelid and would probably have a better time! No seriously we only plan on being off without him for a couple of hours.

What I should have asked is if RC have any rules in place to say you can't leave them aboard unsupervised under 16 or 18. I have checked their website and it doesn't specify. If a few of you have already done this then I imagine the answer is 'yes it's ok'. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Your kids will not be able to leave the ship alone since they are minors, you would need to go off the ship with them. I have seen them stop kids getting off the ship and ask them who they are with. I am sure there are other kids that have been able to mix in with another family and get off the ship, but I wouldn't count on it.

I worded this wrong. I wouldn't not get off the ship with them but what if I got back on the ship and they stayed on Labadee for another hour or something? Has anyone done that?

I worded this wrong. I wouldn't not get off the ship with them but what if I got back on the ship and they stayed on Labadee for another hour or something? Has anyone done that?

We did this at Coco Cay. My boys were with friends they had met onboard we wanted to go back and they weren't ready.They stayed about an hour and still had several until we let. Had they cut it close I probably would have gone back after them. I let them but stressed a lot. There was really no where for them to go and it worked out fine but wow did I stress. I tend to be a little over protective to begin with but my oldest was less than a month from graduating and my other son was 16 a junior in high school.

He should be fine. He can't get off without you. Our daughter was a few places in front of us when we were getting off the ship and she was stopped and asked who she was with. As for you missing the ship I had an interesting conversation with an officer who said they take lots into consideration before they leave without people and that includes if they have kids on board.

Gotcha.:) I haven't personally done that but have seen posts by others who have and have had no issues.

Really up to you and your comfort level. If the kids would stay together and you are confident with their swimming abilities, I might consider it, but I get really nervous with kids and water.