Norwegian Cruise Line Names New Ship Class Project Leonardo

LauraS

I am somewhat surprised that NCL is not staying with Meyer Weft...I have always preferred their builds....

As far as Project Leonardo...one thing I hope they have, is a forward Spinnaker Lounge, or something like the design of the new Bliss....miss that the most on the 'Away' classes...

• Like 1

I am somewhat surprised that NCL is not staying with Meyer Weft...I have always preferred their builds...one thing I hope they have, is a forward Spinnaker Lounge..

Frank Del Rio has a strong relationship with Fincantieri. They have built ships for him in the past.

The Seaside deck plans will give us a good idea what is possible in terms of public spaces.

I appreciate that NCL will make/brand spaces to their own requirements, but certain design structures will not be able to be changed.

Seaside deck 16 has a front facing 'VIP' lounge.

Nice looking - similarity to other ships notwithstanding. And a respectable number of passengers. I admit that we are only looking at an artist's rendition, but I still don't see someplace quiet and shady to sit and relax and just enjoy the actual cruising part of the cruise. I have not been on the "Aways," but on "Jewel" class ships there was really no place. On Gem, a smattering of lounge chairs on deck 13, alongside the running track and immediately adjacent to whatever loud band is catering to line dancing or sexy knees contests. On the "Promenade," which traditionally is where lounge chairs have been in abundance aboard ships, the GEM had 10 chairs. Ten.

I have not been on the "Aways," but on "Jewel" class ships there was really no place.
On BA/GA and Escape, the Waterfront is exactly what you describe. The amount of sun/shade will differ depending on ship position and sun position. Sometimes, port side has more shade than starboard, for ex.

17267466_1137262829730223_777147226672594944_n.jpg

NCL's round aft reminds me of a Star Trek Enterprise..

Thanks for this side-by-side comparison! I like Seaside's more linear approach, but NCL's more curved design has appeal, too. As you suggested earlier, though, it is all too likely NCL will fill Leonardo's top deck with "stuff." I do like the attempt to provide shade on the bottom deck; that's a problem with most ships today (i.e the lack thereof).

Also, I wonder if NCL is going to step away from their Norwegian "...." naming convention and with Leonardo. MV Leonardo, MV Botticelli, MV some other Renaissance artist?

I am glad to see that they put the life boats back under a deck. I don't like how they positioned them on the Breakaway. Also, I wonder if they did something to improve the "tiny balcony" like the ones on Breakaway. Heaven forbid they give people some leg room. LOL

Also, I wonder if they did something to improve the "tiny balcony" like the ones on Breakaway. Heaven forbid they give people some leg room. LOL

After BA/GA, NCL hasn't made any standard balconies that small. Escape, Joy, Bliss, and BA Plus 4 all have deeper standard balconies than BA/GA. NCL must have learned their lesson so I doubt that they would go backwrds with "Leonardo".

I am somewhat surprised that NCL is not staying with Meyer Weft...I have always preferred their builds....

As far as Project Leonardo...one thing I hope they have, is a forward Spinnaker Lounge, or something like the design of the new Bliss....miss that the most on the 'Away' classes...

I very much hope this class of ships will offer studios. No mention of those, yet.

I very much hope this class of ships will offer studios. No mention of those, yet.

With the succes of the solo cabins I doubt that NCL/Fincantieri would leave them out but the smaller upper structure design of Seaside/Leonardo means a Studio complex will have to be mid ship, where a large portion of the regular inside cabins are..

But the lower pax number on Leonardo is also a straight derivative from that same design so my guess is NCL took that in account. Hopefully. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I prefer Meyer Weft ships to that of Fincanteri, so sorry to see the change of builders.

I really liked NCL's wrap to hide the smokestack. Not a fan of the exposed tubes on the Leonardo ship and the MSC ship.

I like the drawing of the NCL ship to that of the MSC ship.

Thanks to those posters who posted the pictures of the ships and pointed out the differences! Much appreciated.

Fingers crossed that the hull art will be amazing.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

googled if there are some news to Leonardo,

found

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/348360/norwegian-eyes-lng-powered-ships-after-leonardo-class-launch

Leonardo lauches in June 2022, more information to routes in April 2020?, and no LNG ship is planned for Leonardo.

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Steff79 said:

Del Rio says the new ships will have a delay between 12 - 18  Month.

Fincantieri (builder of the Leonardo ships) was closed for more than a month and even when they re-opened, it was with a greatly reduced staff (around 10%). It will take time to catch up with the workload as they still aren't back to "normal" with staff. 

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Steff79 said:

what does the part with the Leonardo ships mean? nothing is known exactly?

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/fincantieri-swings-first-half-loss-has-no-order-cancellations

I suspect it means that the first delivery will not be in 2022, and the "agreed to changes" may be covid required changes, but yes, neither Fincantieri nor NCL wish to disclose the terms.

3 hours ago, Steff79 said:

what does the part with the Leonardo ships mean? nothing is known exactly?

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/fincantieri-swings-first-half-loss-has-no-order-cancellations

Also...

"Fincantieri referred to an extension for Norwegian Cruise Line along with 'further agreed changes' to four vessels in the orderbook, without giving detail. NCL has the new Leonardo class under development."

...what about the other 2?

Edited by Two Wheels Only