Norwegian cruises gratuity increase ?

rbell

Sigh, been expecting & joked about NCL's annual changes coming up, for last 2 to 3 weeks under current management - been right on schedule with timing to roll out these "enhanced" product news along with changes (= modest increases). For real, can't say we are surprised - been NCL's corporate pattern & been around CC long enough to know their communications aren't their strength.

We booked "early" about 6 months ago and took advantage of the prepaid gratitudes "freebies" so this won't hit us instead of UBP or dining or WiFi internet, whew ! We typically take care of our Room Steward for above & beyond services as warranted in cash, ditto when we use our Platinum dining option - cash tip on the side, directly into the server's hand.

ShoreEx prices have risen thru the skydrome/roof, LOL lately and someone just reported that the optional iConcierge App fee for calling & texting is now $15 or $16 per device, it was $8 3 years ago. We can always choose not to spend money for those discretionary extras onboard - won't bankrupt most CC'ers ... some do work on saving & having a budget for their cruises, especially for a family of 3 to 4 or even 5+, little things can add up.

Inflation is on the rise ... Federal Reserve is spot on and this is simple affirmation, it cost more to fill up the gas tank this week vs. a year ago with the same set of wheels.

I think I am done with NCL, I have 5 Haven suites booked and 3 of them are 10 nighter's. It now adds $740 to my cruise in DSC for each. I think I will just cancel 3 of them and stay at one of the high end AI's on land as I don't pay extra for grats and it still costs me about $3k less for 10 days at Palace resorts or Zoetry.

Actually, they raised them THREE times last year. There were the two increases in the DSC amount, and then there was a "hidden" increase when they started charging 18% for the specialty restaurants while leaving the staff there in the DSC pool.

This latest raise will be number FOUR.

Of course, some could argue that the change in rate from 15% to 18% constitutes yet another increase.:rolleyes:

Everything you mentioned happened in 2015, not last year. NCL actually showed a lot of restraint in 2016…

Please no! I absolutely hated those envelopes & always felt some of the staff were somewhat embarrassed (humiliated?) by the process. Besides, with the changes in dining you'd have to carry cash to tip at every meal. And what do you do at the buffet? Tip the people who put something on your plate?

I'm with you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

...It now adds $740 to my cruise in DSC for each...

I don't get your math, did you forget a decimal? For Haven it adds a little more than $10 for each person for a seven day and less than $15 for each person for the 10 days. How many people are in your cabin?

I don't get your math, did you forget a decimal? For Haven it adds a little more than $10 for each person for a seven day and less than $15 for each person for the 10 days. How many people are in your cabin?

He's paying for 5 cabins....

It adds up.

3 10-day cruises (30 days) + 2 7-day cruises (14 days) = 44 days each person x $16.99 = $747.56pp total, not more than the old DSC.

I think gratuities are a little too expensive lately .For me , i usually pay my kids so that adds up to 28$ Us ..more like 38$ cdn which starts to add up

I have seen people tip bar tenders over that which becomes ridiculously expensive ..plus .ive noticed they seem to expect a little extra ...1$ ...5$... 10$ ......and are almost rude when they dont get it .....service becomeslacking IMO if they dont get greased personally ....

That much tipping really adds $$$$ to cruises ....I.m sure I dont like that

He's paying for 5 cabins....

It adds up.

I have to assume they meant gratuities now total about $740 not adds. I see it as three 10 day cruises and two seven day cruises equaling 44 days at $16.99 or $747.56 total gratuities each person for the five cruises. It only adds what I posted earlier which is a total of $123.56 pp over the five cruises. Considering the cost of those five Haven cruises I think the post is an over reaction.

Considering the cost of those five Haven cruises I think the post is an over reaction.

I don't know when that person booked those Haven suites but with Haven prices continuing to climb, this "extra" might be the straw to break the camel's back. Everyone has a tipping (no pun) point. <|3

I don't know when that person booked those Haven suites but with Haven prices continuing to climb, this "extra" might be the straw to break the camel's back. Everyone has a tipping (no pun) point. <|3

Great pun anyway. They were happy enough to book at $13.50, not much has changed. My Haven tipping point happened a while back, no more NCL suite cruises booked for me. I'm just watching and waiting for a break. Was that a pun also?

$14.00 a day? Considering that is a typical tip for my family of 4 when we go out to dinner, it feels like a steal for all of the service we receive on board from the staff. We also tip above and beyond that because it just doesn't feel sufficient.

Needless to say, this is a non issue for me.

Oh gosh again? last year they raised them twice. I have not heard anything from my Travel agent but it does not mean i wont. I wonder how much of this has to do with unhappy employees :cool::rolleyes:

Everything you mentioned happened in 2015, not last year. NCL actually showed a lot of restraint in 2016…

Yes, I know. I was simply trying to correct his number without pointing out his timing error. You know...given how people feel about KIAs.

I think I am done with NCL, I have 5 Haven suites booked and 3 of them are 10 nighter's. It now adds $740 to my cruise in DSC for each. I think I will just cancel 3 of them and stay at one of the high end AI's on land as I don't pay extra for grats and it still costs me about $3k less for 10 days at Palace resorts or Zoetry.

Since you have booked before March 31, 2017, your DSC is grandfathered as long as you prepay before the cruise, no need to cancel any cruises.

Strange that there is no mention on any NCL website about the increases. I would check with NCL before jumping to conclusions.

Maybe its the TA who sent it putting the cost up and then passing it on to the customer

This is completely normal with NCL communications - most people learn about changes like these on this board and the updated info appears on the website maybe a week or two later (or sometimes only after the change has already taken place on ships).

How much was it before?? I will be on breakaway 3/26 a 4/2, will it affect me??

All listed on the post #7:

If I'm reading correctly....

Was $13.50pppd...now $13.99pppd

Was $15.50pppd...now $16.99pppd (suite)

Sky only

Was $13.50pppd...now $18.99pppd

Was $15.50pppd...now $21.99pppd (suite)

The change will definitely not affect you if you prepay, shouldn't anyway as the changes usually come in effect on the first cruise departing on or after the announced date which is April 1, 2017.

i guess NCL has not learned from their mistakes with the horrible latitude news rollout, and now this!

Considering that NCL appear not to have learned anything from any of the numerous appalling news rollouts over the past years, I'm not sure why anyone would have expected them to have learned from the last one.

Having said that, in many ways the latitudes rollout was a triumph for them, as some people got emails and notifications in the post. Perhaps they are learning slowly. Considering there is still over two weeks before this takes effect they still have time to communicate it to people.

If i pre-pay the gratuity for all of my cruises (November, and 2 next year), am i locked into the old price i already paid? I booked it last year..

Yes, that has always been the case in the past, and the emails quoted above say the same.

I like NCL. But given that they really won't tell you where the DSC goes, other than this vague programs thing, it's getting a bit old. They keep raising it, without any indication that the people you hope it goes to are getting a dime of the increase. They are now, once again, the most expensive mass cruise line for service charges.

this is an idiotic statement, when you go out to dinner and leave a tip do you ask how much they have to tip out to the bartender or how much they have to tip out to the bus boy or barrack etc, no you don't, you just leave a tip. What is the fascination on who gets what and how much they get, my god. Don't like it don't cruise NCL.

We are sailing twice with NCL this year -- June and November. We have prepaid our gratuities for the June sailing, so this change won't affect that one. For November, we just asked the TA to include the gratuities for us. It shows up on the invoice we got, but at this point, we have only paid the deposit. It won't get paid off until sometime in August. Since it was already booked through the TA, will those gratuities be grandfathered as well?

not sure how you came up with an EXTRA $740 dollars - even with 4 in a cabin the extra for a 10 day cruise would only be 60 dollars over that the charges now per cruise time 3 is $180 dollars for your 3 long cruise and assuming the other 2 are 7 days that would be $84 for the 2 cruises - ???? correct me please if I am wrong