best dinner dish from any of the complementary restaurants

poona1

My favorite MDR entrees:

Chicken Kiev

Wiener Schnitzel

Veal Oscar

Bone-in Pork Loin

My son's favorite is the cornish hen. I can't even describe the massacre that was left on his plate after he devoured 2 (yes, 2!) of these.

Edited by LrgPizza

Loved the black bean soup and french onion soup in MDR.

For Lunch in MDR try the Philly!

Osheehans we have a system where we order the thai chili wings with a side of hit buffalo and mix the two, amazing! Also second the fajitas as a late night snack in Osheehans.

I had the French onion soup in the MDR on my first GA cruise. It was basically just thin/watery beef broth with a few shreds of onion and cheese. Not broiled, no crouton, lukewarm. It was my first cruise and my first MDR meal, and I'd read people raving about the onion soup and other old-fashioney dishes (escargot) on lots of cruise line forums, so it was a surprise. Maybe it was just an off night. I can get better French onion soup at the local Panera.

(I don't have much else to contribute to the thread because I am usually too impatient for MDR meals. I do remember having a duck tagliatelle dish that same night that was pretty good.)

French onion soup from Panera. Yikes I can't stand their soup. No where near real onion soup. You must of had an off night.

And can you explain what you mean by too impatient for MDR meals? I'm guessing you just go to the buffet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O'Sheehans - the fish and chips are a favorite. The Thai Chili wings are fantastic too. They became a daily order for a late lunch.

Second this one/two. But also like most of the mains that O'Sheehans do when we need an late lunch.

French onion soup from Panera. Yikes I can't stand their soup. No where near real onion soup. You must of had an off night.

And can you explain what you mean by too impatient for MDR meals? I'm guessing you just go to the buffet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well tell me this: does the MDR French onion soup usually at least have the cheese broiled on top?

MDRs: I usually travel solo, but I'm also an introvert and making small talk with strangers is work for me, not fun. I'm also a fairly quick eater. (Cue judgey comments.) I've read so many horror stories of 2, 2.5 hour MDR dinners that I generally just shy away from the whole thing, although I usually go (wistfully) check out the menus.

I know I could probably get a table alone, but I don't want to be a hassle; and I usually amuse myself with a phone or tablet while I eat (for example, watch a television episode with a small Bluetooth headset), but I don't want to bother people by using a lighted "device" during their fine dining experience. Sometimes I get around this by having dinner in Le Bistro and asking them to put me on the far right wall/corner, and then I sit with my back to the wall. At that point, the only way I could possibly offend someone while (silently) watching television with my meal would be if they were staring at me so hard they saw the slight reflection off my glasses.

But yes, it's usually buffet. Before they destroyed the Flamingo Grill on GA, that was actually where I ate most of my main protein meals.

Wouldn't mind trying the noodle shop (if that still exists?) but the seating arrangement is an introvert's nightmare.

Following, I'm sailing on the Gem next week. I have one question for you all is Cagney's complementary or upscale dinning. We have sailed on Royal Caribbean and Carnival. This will be our first time on NCL .

Thanks in advance

Andy

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Cagney's is NCL's steakhouse specialty (upscale) restaurant.

Porterhouse steak at Cagney's! So good we paid to go to Cagney's a second night in our cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also...The chicken noodle dish at Teppanyaki was delicious!!!!! Was hesitant to book Teppanyaki but so glad I did- one of the best meals of our cruise.

OP is asking about complimentary restaurants.

Does Teppenyaki offer a complimentary lunch or am I thinking of the Asian restaurant on a different line?

OP is asking about complimentary restaurants.

Does Teppenyaki offer a complimentary lunch or am I thinking of the Asian restaurant on a different line?

Oops. Yes, you are right. I read it quickly and assumed specialty. Sorry! Prime rib in MDR was quite good. Also if you like shrimp cocktail they had it at buffet several nights. We got some to take back to our cabin around 5:30 cause we ate dinner at 8.

Teppanyaki did not offer complimentary lunch on the Breakaway.

Here's the list from the complimentary restaurants from NCL ships. There are many great dishes from the specialty restaurants but maybe a new thread would be appropriate for those.

Best meals/apps/desserts in MDRs / O'Sheehans

Appetizers

French Onion Soup

Ceasar Salad

Fried Brie

Stuffed mushroom w/marinara sauce

Entres

Lamb Shank - MDR

BBQ Ribs - O'Sheehans

Chicken Wings - O'Sheehans

Clam and linguine dish - MDR

Fajitas - O'Sheehans

Singapore noodles - Noodle Bar

Prime Rib Steak - O'Sheehans

Swordfish - MDR

Turkey Dinner - MDR

Potato skins w/crab salad - MDR

hake (white fish) w/glazed carrots

Beef Wellington - MDR

Fish & Chips - O'Sheehans

Buffalo Wings - O'Sheehans

Herb crusted rotisserie chicken - MDR

Grouper Sandwich - MDR lunch

Fish & Chips - O'Sheehans

Thai Chili wings - O'Sheehans

BBQ meatloaf - Lunch MDR

Salmon tartare - MDR

Chicken Kiev - MDR

Veal Oscar - MDR

Bone-n Pork Loin - MDR

Wiener Schnitzel - MDR

Desserts

Warm Chocolate Volcano dessert

No sugar added-Lemon drop cake

Blueberry or pineapple crepes w/whipped cream - buffet

Bread Pudding - MDR

Apple souffle w/cranberry sauce

I usually amuse myself with a phone or tablet while I eat (for example, watch a television episode with a small Bluetooth headset), but I don't want to bother people by using a lighted "device" during their fine dining experience. Sometimes I get around this by having dinner in Le Bistro and asking them to put me on the far right wall/corner, and then I sit with my back to the wall.

Introvert here. This strategy will actually work very well in the MDR as well. I have this nagging fear of not having something solid behind me during meals. You can ask to be seated against a wall, and it will be no problem for them, just might have to wait a minute. It's a little tougher in the big MDR on the megaships (Tropicana, etc.) since the ratio of open space to wall space is so much greater.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Forums mobile app

This was my favorite from my most recent sailing on the Dawn in the Venetian the Grilled Vermont Duck Breast served with Potato Croquette, Green Beans, and a Black Cherry Duck Jus

Edited by mints
photo site is not allowed let me find one that is.