Must swim at Jost van Dyke excursion?

ottmar

We booked the Ecape to Jost van Dyke on the catamaran and the footnote stated that we must swim the last 30 feet because the cat can't go too close. Is that so and if not a swimmer is there help? Can we cancel the excursion once on board on Wednesday?

I was worried about this too. We anchored right at the beach and just walked about four feet through shallow water to the sand. The deck hands were right at the bottom of the stairs to help. If it is really rough I don't know how far out they would anchor. I haven't heard of anyone reporting they had to swim very far. It is a great excursion!

We booked the Ecape to Jost van Dyke on the catamaran and the footnote stated

that we must swim the last 30 feet because the cat can't go too close.

Is that so and if not a swimmer is there help?

Can we cancel the excursion once on board on Wednesday?

The "cat" can get very close, but will not let you off on dry land.

You won't have to swim (maybe walk in about two feet of water to dry beach sand).

The crew is very helpful.

Don't miss/cancel this Beach."It is a great excursion!"

Edited by $hip$hape

Both times I've gone to Jost Van Dyke, the boat was still a distance off from land but the crew had flotation devices to help anyone that needed it. Getting back on the boat was also rather simple with a step-like entrance, instead of a ladder. But you had to go into the water to get to land. It looks shallow because of how clear the water is, but you can't touch until you are with 10-15 feet of shore, depending on the tide.

We walked down the stairs and waded onto the beach... I'm on the shorter side of height so it was above my knee... but below the beach bag over my shoulder! The crew of the Rebel Yell were awesome and able to assist all the way down the stairs and back up when leaving! We enjoyed the excursion and would do it again... but would try not to sit at the front of the catamaran the next time!!

There must be two different types of boats. The boats I was on both times to Jost Van Dyke thru NCL didn't not get that close. I wouldn't bet on getting one type over the other.

We were on the Rebel Yell. What were you on?IMG_4268.jpg.77e58bfd3f9b3ab6e4154173ac3e1f55.jpg

We booked the Ecape to Jost van Dyke on the catamaran and the footnote stated that we must swim the last 30 feet because the cat can't go too close. Is that so and if not a swimmer is there help? Can we cancel the excursion once on board on Wednesday?

Ottmar,

Unless there is horrible weather, the 'Rebel Yell' will be able to get very close to the shore. We have been on this excursion twice (Jan '16, Dec '16) and in Jan we had to wade through 2 foot water and then on the beach. In Dec, my 78 year old Father-In-Law was with us and the crew was awesome in assisting him off of the catamaran, and again we were in maybe a foot 1/2 of water.

Again, absent some kind of weather event the 'Rebel Yell' will get very close to shore and there shouldn't be any issues.

Just let the crew know and they will help anyone in your party to safely get on the beach.

Enjoy Jost Van Dyke !

Regards,

Vinegajoe

There must be two different types of boats. The boats I was on both times to Jost Van Dyke thru NCL didn't not get that close. I wouldn't bet on getting one type over the other.

What year and when? NCL uses Rebel Yell now and let's you off in knee deep.

The crew is very good at helping if needed.

I'm sure weather can play a factor , but that would be the exception rather than the rule.

For those of you that say you haven't had to swim in you have been lucky. The two times I have done this excursion we have been about 25 yards off shore and have had to swim in starting in about 15 feet of water.

For those of you that say you haven't had to swim in you have been lucky. The two times I have done this excursion we have been about 25 yards off shore and have had to swim in starting in about 15 feet of water.

Just curious, Was it stormy? Or were there other boats parked In the way? Like others said we got off the Rebel Yell in knee deep water. Super easy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just curious, Was it stormy? Or were there other boats parked In the way? Like others said we got off the Rebel Yell in knee deep water. Super easy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not stormy at all. Unfortunately I don't remember the cat we went over on. Personally I enjoy the swim in but I know most people don't. I do remember that it was during the week, so it wasn't really crowded.

Contact the excursion company and voice your concerns and get a solid answer from them, not opinions from CC'rs.

If it's from the excursion company ( Rebel Yell) they will tell the OP the same things people here on CC are.

They make every effort to get as close to shore as possible. Weather, current, waves, amount of private boats all come into play.

Which none of the above situations the excursion company can answer any differently.

We booked a private excursion through Foxy's this February and we were in about 5 1/2 feet of water when we climbed down the ladder in the back of the boat. We were able to assist a couple of the people who couldn't swim to shore using noodles.

It wasn't a catamaran, more like a cross between a fishing boat and a speed boat.

Mike

If it's from the excursion company ( Rebel Yell) they will tell the OP the same things people here on CC are.

They make every effort to get as close to shore as possible. Weather, current, waves, amount of private boats all come into play.

Which none of the above situations the excursion company can answer any differently.

I do not see where the OP mentioned they had contact the touring company voicing their concerns and getting an answer directly from them, if I missed that post, I apologize, if not, I stand by my recommendation to talk to them. I would not want to take an excursion and then find out it was not what the kind people on CC stated it to be. I have been to Soggy Dollar but got their by private Cat, and came ashore in our dingy, so I can not say how this particular excursion will handle the dropping off at the beach.

I've done this excursion 3 times. Twice I was able to walk down the steps into about 2 feet of water & walk ashore. The last time. we were 30 feet or so away from the beach & had to swim ashore. The crew gave people noodles if they wanted help keeping afloat. It's a fabulous excursion!

• 4 weeks later...
Hello ottmar, just wondering how things worked out for you at Jost van Dyke? Hopefully you went!