Shorts now part of the casual dress code

I can say one thing....if I feel that someone did not shower before arriving at the MDR and smells of sunscreen or has sand between their toes or anywhere else that I can see, there WILL BE a potentially unpleasant conversation occurring. I have no qualms about doing that.

Exactly my fear - the new casual designation almost encourages folks to come in off their excursions and head straight to the dining room.....sunscreen, sand and all.

But coming right from the beach and wearing clean but casual clothes are two entirely different things

We saw this happen on the NCL Gem which has a much more relaxed dress code than RCCL. This couple was turned away from the Asian restaurant by the hostess while we were in Nassau overnight. The man was even carrying a beach towel and wearing rubber flip flops and very, very short shorts!!! He was very upset that they could not be seated. Others on the line were wearing long slacks and golf shirts with the ladies in slacks and blouses.

Who wants to sit on a chair after someone who hasn't even taken the time to shower off the sand and suntan lotion?

if you do not care what others think about your clothing (I am on vacation and I will dress the way I want to), at the very least shower OR GO TO THE BUFFET:eek:

MARAPRINCE

If someone decides to show up to the MDR wearing something that is inappropriate, then it is the job of the hostess or maitre'd to deny them access. It is not up to a self appointed member of the fashion police to start a confrontation at a table. If this were to happen, we would request that the person starting the confrontation be removed from the dining room.

who wants to sit on a chair after someone who hasn't even taken the time to shower off the sand and suntan lotion?

If you do not care what others think about your clothing (i am on vacation and i will dress the way i want to), at the very least shower or go to the buffet:eek:

Maraprince

thank you, thank you, thank you!

Hi everyone,

We reached out to Royal Caribbean to get clarification on the short/tank tops in MDR question. Here's what we were told:

"The dress code in the maindining room remains the same as it has been. Our teams are working to make further clarifications on the website."

So, shorts and tank tops are still not permitted in the main dining room.

Why am I not surprised :rolleyes:

Just in my Cruise Planner this afternoon and here's what it says on Sabor's page:

WHAT TO WEAR

• Skirts or pants (with no holes, rips or tears) and a sweater or blouse are appropriate for women.
  • Pants (with no holes, rips or tears) and a sports shirt (must have sleeves) or sweater are appropriate for men.
  • Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants at any time.

Note: shorts not mentioned but Tanks are:)

We saw this happen on the NCL Gem which has a much more relaxed dress code than RCCL. This couple was turned away from the Asian restaurant by the hostess while we were in Nassau overnight. The man was even carrying a beach towel and wearing rubber flip flops and very, very short shorts!!! He was very upset that they could not be seated. Others on the line were wearing long slacks and golf shirts with the ladies in slacks and blouses.

Who wants to sit on a chair after someone who hasn't even taken the time to shower off the sand and suntan lotion?

if you do not care what others think about your clothing (I am on vacation and I will dress the way I want to), at the very least shower OR GO TO THE BUFFET:eek:

MARAPRINCE

And why should those of us who prefer the buffet have to deal with the unshowered outcasts from the MDR?????:mad:

And why should those of us who prefer the buffet have to deal with the unshowered outcasts from the MDR?????:mad:

..............well, they can't eat in their cabin now that they charge $795.00 for delivery of room service.....:eek:

(I know it is $7.95 but the way people complain it might as well be $795.00.)

I'm not really sure what the uproar is about. This is only confirming what's been going on for years now. How many times was the old policy actually enforced? Not many from my experiences. I've always seen this kind of 'wear' in the dinning rooms. Whether you are for or against it; it isn't going nowhere. Either get aboard or be labled by some as a prude. Truthfully, this is just another attempt by RCCL to move those who look for the 'traditional' or old school cruising to their 'paid' specialty dining services. Why? Because these are 'usually' the seasoned cruisers who will regularly pay a premium for the nostalgia of old. IMHO of course!

Detour alert, sorry all!

Saw in your upcoming cruise signature that 5/17 you are celebrating your son's graduation, I would love to compare what, if any, things you are doing to make it an extra special celebration.

Well it does matter. If shorts are not part of the official dress code for the MDR then I will continue to abide by that standard. If not, then I'm more likely to wear shorts. And I'm in charge of a group cruise in a couple of months and they depend on my guidance as to what the ins and outs of crushing are.

So yeah, the official policy clarification matters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well it does matter. If shorts are not part of the official dress code for the MDR then I will continue to abide by that standard. If not, then I'm more likely to wear shorts. And I'm in charge of a group cruise in a couple of months and they depend on my guidance as to what the ins and outs of crushing are.

So yeah, the official policy clarification matters.

If they don't enforce anything, then everyone wears what they want and there really is no dress code.

However, if you would feel better following a code, then I'd go by this, which as been revised in the last day or so:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq