Changes to Caribbean Princess During Current Dry Dock

msmoger

I'm sure it will be like on the Sapphire with Sterling Steak House. In the evening they take over seating in HC but during the day it's used by everyone.

I think those are two different scenarios. Sterling is only open for dinner. Steamers and Planks are open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The $12 cover charge is for dinner only. However, I tend to agree (or hope) that you are correct and the seating will remain available to anyone eating in this general area (buffet, Planks and Steamers).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, this is completely different than before on the CB! I do like the Coffee and Cones idea, with another option for buying mochas in the morning. But my teens would sorely miss the poolside pizza, burgers, and hot dogs. I hope they don't change the pizza because their basic cheese pizza was the best. Now it sounds all fancy. Somehow having to fight the masses at the buffet for pizza or burgers now just wouldn't be the same as getting it by the pool in a separate line. It will be interesting to hear how it all plays out.

Wow, this is completely different than before on the CB! I do like the Coffee and Cones idea, with another option for buying mochas in the morning. But my teens would sorely miss the poolside pizza, burgers, and hot dogs. I hope they don't change the pizza because their basic cheese pizza was the best. Now it sounds all fancy. Somehow having to fight the masses at the buffet for pizza or burgers now just wouldn't be the same as getting it by the pool in a separate line. It will be interesting to hear how it all plays out.

The poolside pizza and grill are still there and the grill shows still offering the same items minus the veggie burger and some added items. The Slice said it still offered the same pizza with some other fancy options...it said the margarita and daily pizza would be there...I am sure they wouldn't get rid of the plain cheese knowing they have other vegetarian things in each area...both of these are still poolside and free except that one FANCY burger which cost $5

The menus for the new restraunts have been posted, too. $12 for Streamers and Planks and $5 for a specialty burger at the gastro pub ($8 if you want a beer with it).

My mental picture of 'steamers' is walking my dog on a cold winter morning.

I'm not sure why one would name a food venue after this.

If, perhaps, they mean seafood, that won't work either.

Steamed clams (aka steamers) have to be alive when steamed. That's how they open. If they don't open, they were dead, and should be discarded. There aren't going to be any living clams on cruise ships.

I guess this follows "Smokehouse Barbecue", which had no actual smoke.

My mental picture of 'steamers' is walking my dog on a cold winter morning.

I'm not sure why one would name a food venue after this.

If, perhaps, they mean seafood, that won't work either.

Steamed clams (aka steamers) have to be alive when steamed. That's how they open. If they don't open, they were dead, and should be discarded. There aren't going to be any living clams on cruise ships.

I guess this follows "Smokehouse Barbecue", which had no actual smoke.

"Planks" also brings to mind things other than fine dining. One can only shake the head over the names that "marketing people" come up with. Perhaps Scott Adams had it right when Dilbert said that marketing is "mostly just liquor and guessing". :cool:

I'm happy to see all the exciting changes on the Caribbean Princess. My wife and I will really be looking forward to our Panama Canal cruise on Jan. 3. 2018. The pictures and video of the renovation work to be done on the Princess website looks beautiful. I like what they are doing with the Horizon Court Buffet and renaming it the World Fresh Marketplace. Also looking forward to the new luxury beds, can't wait!

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

Here's additional info I found about the dry dock.

Princess Cruises Announces Largest Food & Beverage Innovation Ever to Take Place during a Drydock

Caribbean Princess to Debut Seven New Dining Options

pr-newswire3-60x27_151656.gif Princess CruisesMarch 28, 2017 4:39 PM

SANTA CLARITA, Calif., March 28, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- When Caribbean Princess debuts from a two-week, multi-million-dollar renovation on April 6, Princess Cruises will have completed its largest food and beverage innovation to ever take place during a drydock and guests will delight in seven new onboard dining destinations.

"Fresh, regionally-inspired and family friendly offerings were the inspiration behind our largest food and beverage makeover ever," said Jan Swartz, Princess Cruises president. "With updated décor and designs that offer a welcoming atmosphere, the seven new dining options aboard Caribbean Princess are sure to please any palate and delight the senses."

The new dining options aboard Caribbean Princess include:

World Fresh Marketplace – Replacing Horizon Court (deck 14), World Fresh Marketplace unveils a completely new look and improved layout, featuring freshly-made regional specialties and well-balanced food choices:

• Breakfast will include 24-hour cereal stations; a designer pancake station with "pancake of the day" stacks; unique hot cereal offerings such as shrimp & grits and polenta porridge.
  • Lunch serves up signature hand-crafted sandwiches, regionally inspired dishes and soups, as well as carvery selections of specialty sausages, hams and roast meats.
  • Dinner selections include breakfast at night with omelets and chicken & waffles, family kitchen comfort foods and a kid-friendly PB&J bar. Night-time offerings will also include a live-action station with stir-fry and customized pasta, plus composed salad choices.

Two Casual Specialty Restaurants - Café Caribe (deck 14 aft) transforms into two new, casual evening specialty restaurants great for families with kids who want to enjoy a special meal in a nice, yet laid back setting. These options include:

• Planks BBQ – serving up family-style "Planks" of loaded ribs, beef, sausages and chicken plus all the fixings – fries, chili, coleslaw, charred toast and dill pickles. Dinner is served by wait staff for a cover charge of $12 per person. Complimentary buffet-style breakfast and lunch options include savory customizable breakfast bowls and signature soup, freshly tossed salads and fork & knife sandwiches.
  • Steamers Seafood – offers east coast-style Steamers with regional flair including Black & Blue Mussels, Scallops & Sausage, Classic Clams, Shrimp and Sausage and Broiled Scallops, Shrimp and Crab-stuffed Flounder. Dinner is served by wait staff for a cover charge of $12 per person. A delectable lobster tail and King Crab legs can be added for $10. Complimentary buffet-style breakfast and lunch options include specialty egg dishes and ramen bowls with regionally-inspired broths.

Top-Deck Dining Venues – Four Princess top-deck outdoor dining offerings will be revitalized, renamed and enhanced, including:

• The Salty Dog Grill (formerly Trident Grill) – guests can indulge in "The Ernesto" burger, voted "#1 Burger at Sea" by Cruise Criticfrom Chef Ernesto Uchimura, as well as signature Princess burgers grilled up with 100 percent handmade beef patties and buns. In addition, guests can choose new Street Tacos of grilled chipotle-lime chicken or roasted sweet potato-green chile with corn tortillas. Loaded fries in tempting varieties include chili cheese and bacon & cheese. Classic hot dogs round out the menu offerings.
  • Slice (formerly Pizzeria) – featuring west coast and east coast offerings, Princess guests will enjoy award-winning signature classic Neapolitan-style pizza. New menu items include Deep Dish Focaccia layered with marinara, meatballs and cheese, California Artisanal Toast including Cali-Avocado or Caprese, as well as Sliced Stromboli, an east coast take on an Italian calzone filled with deli meats and cheese.
  • Coffee & Cones (formerly Scoops) – offering treats of gourmet ice-cream sandwiches, complimentary ice cream cones and now brewing specialty coffee on the top deck, serving New Grounds Crafted Coffee.
  • The Mix (formerly Blackbeard's Bar) – the poolside bar will be updated and redesigned with vibrant colors (full designs will be completed by fall 2017).

In addition to the food and beverage innovations, Caribbean Princess will emerge from drydock with new offerings appealing to families, including Camp Discovery Youth & Teen Centers, upgraded Movies Under the Stars, Princess Luxury Bed and interconnecting staterooms, just in time for the upcoming Europe summer and fall Caribbean seasons. The cruise ship will also be wired for the Ocean Medallionlaunch that will be available for the 2018 summer Caribbean season.

So a lot of the food Venues will change in name plus what they offer plus additional pay for food venues. Wonder if Princess is testing out these new venues to see what people think. A lot of training for the staff especially for the Executive Chief to manage.

What do other people think!

Tom😎

While I will pay for the ice cream sandwich, perhaps during the initial phase people will revolt and they will stop the for fee foods...just like when they tried to charge for Alfredo's and we all screamed. I don't care for the nickel and dime stuff, but that said if I do want it I will pay for it if I have to...

While I will pay for the ice cream sandwich, perhaps during the initial phase people will revolt and they will stop the for fee foods...just like when they tried to charge for Alfredo's and we all screamed. I don't care for the nickel and dime stuff, but that said if I do want it I will pay for it if I have to...

I think I disagree with this. I'm guessing this was a better planned rollout than Alfredo's. The fact that there's no fee during the day and it's using under utilized real estate at night and the cover is only $12 seems to indicate Princess sees this as the "wave of the future " (sorry about that [emoji41][emoji23]).

I think I disagree with this. I'm guessing this was a better planned rollout than Alfredo's. The fact that there's no fee during the day and it's using under utilized real estate at night and the cover is only $12 seems to indicate Princess sees this as the "wave of the future " (sorry about that [emoji41][emoji23]).

No worries that is what this forum is for. We all have opinions and can respectfully agree to disagree and be adults. Everyone is different and someone may love the new dining and choose to do it all the time vs MDR. But when DH and I looked at the menu there wasn't much that jumped out at us that we would pay the extra for....except those ice cream sandwiches. We love the MDR options which I know some don't. We also love the getting dressed up for the casual and formal dinners as we don't have that option really at home, but get that some just want to stay completely casual all the time. I do agree Alfredo's was already a complimentary option so when they tried to change it red flags went up...whereas these are starting out as for fee. Still excited to see what it all looks like and 2018 cant get here soon enough.

Same here. I doubt if I'll pay for an ice cream sandwich when free ice cream is available for lunch & dinner in the DR. After all just how much can a person eat in a day? ;)

I'm pretty sure they'll be takers for it though. Some people just can't resist having it all. :D

• Dinner selections include breakfast at night with omelets and chicken & waffles, family kitchen comfort foods and a kid-friendly PB&J bar. Night-time offerings will also include a live-action station with stir-fry and customized pasta, plus composed salad choices.

They had me at Chicken and Waffles.

I agree with you.

For breakfast and lunch, they are offering more no-fee options. You still have the same amount of space for seating, and you have more options for the food. I see no downside for anyone.

For dinner, neither of the new options interest me. But they won't be in my way either. Since most people eat in the MDR for dinner, they should still have enough room in the no-fee buffet for everyone who wants to eat there. If others want these new options, then good for them and good for Princess. If not, then they won't last long.

I've got no problem with them adding additional fee options (even if they are things I don't want) as long as they don't take anything away from the rest of us.

I agree with you.

For breakfast and lunch, they are offering more no-fee options. You still have the same amount of space for seating, and you have more options for the food. I see no downside for anyone.

For dinner, neither of the new options interest me. But they won't be in my way either. Since most people eat in the MDR for dinner, they should still have enough room in the no-fee buffet for everyone who wants to eat there. If others want these new options, then good for them and good for Princess. If not, then they won't last long.

I've got no problem with them adding additional fee options (even if they are things I don't want) as long as they don't take anything away from the rest of us.

That about sums it up for me. :)

I'm pretty sure they'll be takers for it though. Some people just can't resist having it all. :D

I like the way you put a smiley face after your slap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I like the way you put a smiley face after your slap.

It's not really a slap but from my observations people go crazy eating, drinking, partying & spending for items at the boutiques on a cruise.

At home they would probably never think of spending money like that.

It is entertaining to watch them.

To each his own. :D

I'm guilty of boutique shopping for things I don't need when I get bored. I need to try trivia or bingo to pass the time on sea days. Anyway, something I need to work on.

LOVE BINGO...but we also do it at home too. I will buy my obligatory ship statue, pen, keychain or tshirt especially if it is a new ship to us or our other items bought on the ship previously are aging. Or if we didn't have time to shop in port and I want/need that shirt that says basically we were at this port...brings back memories when I wear them.

LOVE BINGO...but we also do it at home too. I will buy my obligatory ship statue, pen, keychain or tshirt especially if it is a new ship to us or our other items bought on the ship previously are aging. Or if we didn't have time to shop in port and I want/need that shirt that says basically we were at this port...brings back memories when I wear them.

I went thought that phase many years ago & have a closet full of T shirts to prove it.:cool:

While it brings back lovely memories...I then cry a little cause I am not on one now..lol. That and the wipes I bring with to wipe down stuff with when I smell that it is like cruise smell.....ahhhhhhhhh...then reality hits and I am still at home...damn!

• 2 weeks later...