Interesting Read on the crew's perspective of the cruisers and more...

IntrepidFromDC

According to this article, this guy is the only American to ever complete a Carnival contract. Others have tried but quit before the contract was up due to, well, read all about it!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/article/a-cruise-ship-worker-reveals-what-its-really-like-to-work-on-a-cruise-ship/ss-BByBwxC?ocid=spartanntp

Many cruise ship workers are from countries where work is scarce, or at least good paying work. They make more on cruise ships than they ever would back home. I'm not saying money can always buy happiness, just that a lot of them put up with the intense schedule because it allows them to support their families back home better than if they were there. Our steward last year was one hell of a guy with a wife & 3 kids. We talked about our families and I asked about his schedule and things like that. I know what it's like to be away from home for long periods, but back then, I didn't have my son. So having kids makes it that much harder on these crew members. I know it has to be tough as all get out. Not to say it isn't hard on those without kids too.

If this guy's depiction of what goes on is accurate, I must admit I'm a bit surprised at the level of crew partying that goes on. I only say that because a vast majority of the crew are so nice and on the ball, so to speak. If some of them had just come off of an all-night booze bender, then they're ability to put on a smile and do their job well is impressive. On the other hand, the alcohol consumption doesn't surprise me all that much. I've been in somewhat similar situations...nowhere to go really, nothing do to, long stressful hours...alcohol oftentimes comes into play.

My Niece and Nephew (from Eugene, Or) completed 5 contracts with Royal Caribbean as Lead Singers/Dancers. They spoke often of how hard the crew worked and the difficult conditions. As Entertainers they had it fairly easy. We joined them on their last contract in the Mediterranean. After over 4 1/2 yrs they retired and have been successful in the music business including a recording contract with Sony and recording for Disney.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm having a little difficulty in accepting a few parts of this story as being true. First, why would (or did) the author feel the need "to bribe higher-ups just to grant him an interview"? Second, while I have no doubt that some of the crew members like to party and socialize, I find it hard to believe that some of the crew party until three o'clock in the morning and then are able to function well when they're on duty. If that's true, then those people have amazing stamina. Something tells me that the author has somewhat embellished this story in order to gain sympathy. It might be more believable if other crew members had offered their experiences in order to corroborate the author's statements. At best, I'd say this story is semi-factual.

Bruns' books are several years old, based on experiences even older. Much has changed since 1990, the most important to Bruns' depiction is the adoption of random drug and alcohol testing of the crew and the international limit of 0.04% BAC at all times for all crew.

What Bruns' actually claims, though not readily apparent from the article, is that he is the only American to complete a contract as waitstaff. Even this I doubt, but be that as it may, yes, there are many US citizens who work cruise ships as IT, entertainers, cruise director staff, youth staff, and even deck and engineering officers. Those who take the cabin steward, wait staff, or galley jobs find they pay much less than minimum wage, so few if any US citizens apply.

Having read a couple of Bruns' books I find that they are most likely apocryphal stories and compilations of incidents from many crew members, all rolled into Bruns' character.

As for his comments on officer/crew interaction, Mr. Bruns' fails to recognize that a ship at sea is its own world, and that survival in that world depends on strict hierarchies, as has been found in the Navies of the world for centuries, even in the most democratic and liberal nations.

Must be a tremendously slow news day for MSN to resurrect this 9 year old book.

As former crew (though not on Carnival) I will only say that I have read his books and many of his stories are absolutely what it was like when I was onboard in the 90s myself. And we DID drink till 5 am and sometimes never want to bed and still pulled each other thru the next day. We had toga parties, took over what uses to be movie theaters onboard and reenacted the Rocky Horror Picture Show, had insane parties, waited until way into the night if we docked early at a fave port and stood to jump off the gangway and run to our hang out bar in town that would stay open only for us....this was the 90s and much different. We would also drink all afternoon in port and go back on and work all evening half wasted. No rules back then accept you are fired if you can't perform. My supervisor often drank with me each night. Times have changed but none of what he wrote is so far fetched. And BTW...contrary to popular belief...and ask on your next cruise....not many Americans are hired on these lines. There are often a handfull but not many. And only in certain capacities.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Forums mobile app

Alas... times onboard have changed. Are there still parties, late night hanging out, some craziness? Yes, of course... but the out of control craziness of the 90s early 2000s has definitely calmed down. There is no tolerance for drunks or being hungover at work. Using crew sign and sail cards they can now track the number of drinks purchased at the crew bar (used to be cash) so if ur suspected of being drunk at work or too hungover they can pull your bar tabs.... there is also a more effective drug/alcohol testing policy. The issue is if there was an emergency, crew members are responsible for keeping passengers safe. This is especially true for the senior staff/officers. There is a strict alcohol policy for officers and getting drunk is NOT permitted! They will now do random alcohol tests on senior staff when returning onboard (which being honest, with their workload they rarely get off anyway).

As former crew (though not on Carnival) I will only say that I have read his books and many of his stories are absolutely what it was like when I was onboard in the 90s myself. And we DID drink till 5 am and sometimes never want to bed and still pulled each other thru the next day. We had toga parties, took over what uses to be movie theaters onboard and reenacted the Rocky Horror Picture Show, had insane parties, waited until way into the night if we docked early at a fave port and stood to jump off the gangway and run to our hang out bar in town that would stay open only for us....this was the 90s and much different. We would also drink all afternoon in port and go back on and work all evening half wasted. No rules back then accept you are fired if you can't perform. My supervisor often drank with me each night. Times have changed but none of what he wrote is so far fetched. And BTW...contrary to popular belief...and ask on your next cruise....not many Americans are hired on these lines. There are often a handfull but not many. And only in certain capacities.

So what you're saying is, you were basically rock stars of the cruising world. :cool:

At least as far as NCL is concerned, the watchkeeping deck and engine officers, as well as the Hotel Director, Staff Chief Engineer, Staff Captain, Chief Engineer, and Captain have a zero tolerance for alcohol at all times when assigned to the ship (so both aboard and ashore).

One tenth of the crew were randomly tested each month, so a company ashore generates a list of random crew numbers each week, and these crew must report for testing. As you say, crew bar records can be accessed, and the day after crew parties and departmental parties, the testing can be done on a "caused based" basis.

Other former cruise workers have done Q&A's and they all say they work really long hours, drink a ton, and are all sleeping with each other

That pretty much sums it up! Lol! And we WERE rock stars! Lol! If my kids only knew....and won't!!!

Bruns' books are several years old, based on experiences even older. Much has changed since 1990, the most important to Bruns' depiction is the adoption of random drug and alcohol testing of the crew and the international limit of 0.04% BAC at all times for all crew.

What Bruns' actually claims, though not readily apparent from the article, is that he is the only American to complete a contract as waitstaff. Even this I doubt, but be that as it may, yes, there are many US citizens who work cruise ships as IT, entertainers, cruise director staff, youth staff, and even deck and engineering officers. Those who take the cabin steward, wait staff, or galley jobs find they pay much less than minimum wage, so few if any US citizens apply.

Having read a couple of Bruns' books I find that they are most likely apocryphal stories and compilations of incidents from many crew members, all rolled into Bruns' character.

As for his comments on officer/crew interaction, Mr. Bruns' fails to recognize that a ship at sea is its own world, and that survival in that world depends on strict hierarchies, as has been found in the Navies of the world for centuries, even in the most democratic and liberal nations.

Must be a tremendously slow news day for MSN to resurrect this 9 year old book.

Thanks Chief. Like many, I read Bruns first book and while it was entertaining, seemed a bit of a stretch in terms of believe-ability. Back then, he frequented this web site and when questioned by posters about some of the details from the book, he became rather defensive. But as you say, much has changed since then and for this to be dragged up now must be the result of little else to report.

We became friends with a bartender on the Magic and her husband also was a bartender. They just finished a contract and were traveling all over the world. I saw pictures of her house in the Philippines, nothing to feel sorry about. Other then not seeing their adorable kids every six months, they do quite well. The worst part about CCL and the cruise industry is they give no compensation for time off

I know of at least 3 others who have completed contracts with Carnival and they are American.

I will say, I think it's like any job - the experience is what you make out of it.

They do rotate through a schedule of "port manning." Meaning they are essentially "on call" for the ship and the assigned emergency response staff for that week. They are not allowed to drink while on port manning and they are also not allowed to get off the ship in ports.

Edit: I do see he was a waiter. The 3 I know of were bartenders.

According to this article, this guy is the only American to ever complete a Carnival contract. Others have tried but quit before the contract was up due to, well, read all about it!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/article/a-cruise-ship-worker-reveals-what-its-really-like-to-work-on-a-cruise-ship/ss-BByBwxC?ocid=spartanntp

I've read his book "Cruise Ship Confidential" and it was....interesting to say the least. And he might have been the only American to complete a contract working in the dining room, but I'm friends with a couple of Carnival employees (both American) and they have worked for Carnival for YEARS. They enjoy their work and feel they're treated well and paid well for their jobs.

what is port manning? They have bars in the employee area of the ship and they always get off the ship at ports, unless they are on duty

As explained above - it's like being "on call" for that week. Think of how a nurse might have an on call shift. Or a RA in a college residence hall. Port Manning is the internal term they use to describe the duty. But think of it as on call responsibility. I've heard this referenced by multiple crew members (when we have asked if they were able to go enjoy the port typically). If on Port Manning, they are not allowed to get off the ship that cruise.

I totally agree with you. I worked on a ship in the late 90's going into 2000 and we had our own bar with "crew" prices. The parties were great. I was in the entertainment area so my schedule wasn't as hectic as the "crew". It was an amazing experience though and i'm glad i did it....my liver, well not so much!