P&O response to questions about gratuities.

terrierjohn

I agree, but this can lead to skewed data, which P&O will be only too happy to use in their advertising.

I want to be honest in my reviews and having also sailed Celebrity I cannot bring myself to record the P&O service as excellent.

But this would possibly result in the staff not receiving a good slice of the tip pool.

Talk about being between a rock and a hard place.

Thats why i said i prefer to be proactive and sort a problem immediately either with Head Waiter, GS or department supervisor then get on with enjoying our cruise and not leave anything festering.

If things weren't sorted only then would i report it on the cruise survey and also get a refund of paid gratuitys.

Fortunately to date i have not had to take any of these actions.

Love RCCL and P&O.

I wonder why most of the cabin stewards and waiters are Indian, Phillipino, Chinese or carribean and not English or American.

Love RCCL and P&O.

With P&O this is historical. The cabin stewards and waiters all came from Goa as that was a Christian country. They could not use other religions because they would not serve beef or pork depending on the religion.

This started before the Suez was built and the crewed their ships which ran from India to Egypt.

This has carried on for over 150 years leading to now 80 % of the crew coming from Goa now part of India and the rest from India and other parts of the world.

In India they have a collage to train staff.

Why do they not use UK staff possibly the same reason all other cruise lines do the same.in fact all other shipping lines.

Now that's why P&O use crew from these countries

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

To be honest P&O's behaviour looks like it is running a Victorian workhouse, and in comparison Mike Ashley is a saint.

Deliberately underpaying your staff and hoping customers make up the difference (if they don't, no problem as it is the staff that suffer not the directors).

And the icing on the cake is persuading the customer not to hand over cash to the underpaid employee, but giving it to P&O who can hand it out however they fancy.

Nice.

And you do not think that this is opinion!!!

This is nothing but you somewhat extreme take on the situation it is not fact.

Why do you single out P&O for such vitriol when all other cruise lines would appear to use the same model. Certainly that used by Cunard looked to be identical

You are posting extreme opinion and portraying it as fact.

Not good timing to start another thread within hours of the last one being pulled. A moderators nightmare. But there is no way I am going to stand by and let some of the posts on here go unchallenged.

This has carried on for over 150 years leading to now 80 % of the crew coming from Goa now part of India and the rest from India and other parts of the world.

It is my understanding that P&O takes far fewer staff from Goa now - this was told to me by a member of staff on our last cruise. He said that with the development of tourism in Goa over the last 20-30 years, working for P&O is no longer as attractive as it once was, particularly in view of the length of time away from home.

On our last two cruises our waiters were from Chennai, Mumbai and somewhere else in India I can't recall, our cabin steward last cruise was Filipino, the steward before that Sri Lankan. Of course these are just a few examples from thousands of crew across the ships.

With P&O this is historical. The cabin stewards and waiters all came from Goa as that was a Christian country. They could not use other religions because they would not serve beef or pork depending on the religion.

This started before the Suez was built and the crewed their ships which ran from India to Egypt.

Why do they not use UK staff possibly the same reason all other cruise lines do the same.in fact all other shipping lines.

Very informative thanks.

Love RCCL and P&O.

Not good timing to start another thread within hours of the last one being pulled. A moderators nightmare. But there is no way I am going to stand by and let some of the posts on here go unchallenged.

I notice you don't challenge the points that P&O are deliberately underpaying a section of their workforce in a manner that would be probably illegal in the UK.

Does your silence on this point reflect your agreement with their behaviour?

It is my understanding that P&O takes far fewer staff from Goa now - this was told to me by a member of staff on our last cruise. He said that with the development of tourism in Goa over the last 20-30 years, working for P&O is no longer as attractive as it once was, particularly in view of the length of time away from home.

On our last two cruises our waiters were from Chennai, Mumbai and somewhere else in India I can't recall, our cabin steward last cruise was Filipino, the steward before that Sri Lankan. Of course these are just a few examples from thousands of crew across the ships.

The 80% figure was about 2/3 years old and remember they have many more places to fill than pre Britannia, Azura and Ventura.

I notice you don't challenge the points that P&O are deliberately underpaying a section of their workforce in a manner that would be probably illegal in the UK.

Does your silence on this point reflect your agreement with their behaviour?

I said it was your extreme take on the situation. I think that means I think you are wrong.

I was trying to be a little less confrontational.

Blimey, gratuities and embarkation times get people going. After 40 cruises in 20 years with various lines I still don't know what to believe, this thread has not enlightened me any. I just leave on the gratuities and have done with it as I don't want the hassle. Saying that I would remove them if service was poor and distribute them as I felt fit.

Blimey, gratuities and embarkation times get people going. After 40 cruises in 20 years with various lines I still don't know what to believe, this thread has not enlightened me any. I just leave on the gratuities and have done with it as I don't want the hassle. Saying that I would remove them if service was poor and distribute them as I felt fit.

Just to perhaps give you more idea what happens to "service reward programme" these are 2 comments made by P&O in the last 2 days on their Facebook page:-

"we can confirm that five ranks of staff will receive the gratuities on board. This includes Waiters, Assistant Waiters, Head Waiters, Cabin Stewards and Butlers. Members of staff are rewarded for their individual behaviour and service, along with team work. Any tips which you pay to a member of staff directly are theirs to keep and do not need to be declared or pooled with other members of staff. I hope this helps"

" the monies collected from guests are pooled, and then shared fairly amongst these various personnel. Therefore it is not possible to track individual contributions made by a single guest to any single recipient. That said, the service you receive from an individual member of staff, such as your own cabin steward, and the feedback you provide in the end of cruise questionnaire directly influences their individual reward in comparison to that of others within the scheme who have not served you. I hope this helps"

Well reading the OP we are a bit taken aback as we thought more categories of staff got the automatic gratuities.

We have always paid the automatic tips (and often this has been our 'free' OBC used up!) We have always given additional tips to say a thank you to those staff who have made our cruise special - and I have often felt guilty that we couldn't have given them more, but, with the auto tip we just could not afford to pay more.

For the first time we are considering removing the auto tips and taking whatever the autotip would be in cash to give out to staff at the end of the cruise or, perhaps as we go as we are Freedom Dining.

Can't believe we are saying this, but P&O has to do something about it. I object to the thoughts of paying automatic tips for a 17 cruise in August and then additional tips for staff as a personal thank you when some else just cancel the tips and pay nothing. We are not talking about a few pounds - it is hundreds! The good staff deserve a special 'thank you' and we like to say a personal thank you.

:confused:

Can't believe we are saying this, but P&O has to do something about it. I object to the thoughts of paying automatic tips for a 17 cruise in August and then additional tips for staff as a personal thank you when some else just cancel the tips and pay nothing. We are not talking about a few pounds - it is hundreds! The good staff deserve a special 'thank you' and we like to say a personal thank you.

:confused:

Exactly how we feel - no more autotips, back to envelopes

Glad it is not just us. We also know a very loyal P&O cruiser who removes the auto gratuities and tips as she goes ... and we thought that she was mean. I am beginning to think she was wise and right.

In the end P&O need to sort this mess out.

Just add it to the price like in UK restaurants and then we can pay extra tips if we want to. It is a UK line so just do it the Uk way that we are used to in restaurants at home. Not exactly rocket science... and a money winner !!!

I always felt the envelopes with lots of cash in was a very personal way to show your appreciation for service making our cruise special.

The autotips mean the cruiseline gets an enormous amount of money every week from passengers to play god with the crew when they can say who gets what with our money.

Love RCCL and P&O.

Glad it is not just us. We also know a very loyal P&O cruiser who removes the auto gratuities and tips as she goes ... and we thought that she was mean. I am beginning to think she was wise and right.

In the end P&O need to sort this mess out.

Just add it to the price like in UK restaurants and then we can pay extra tips if we want to. It is a UK line so just do it the Uk way that we are used to in restaurants at home. Not exactly rocket science... and a money winner !!!

Perfectly said.

Love RCCL and P&O.

The autotips mean the cruiseline gets an enormous amount of money every week from passengers to play god with the crew when they can say who gets what with our money.

Love RCCL and P&O.

That has just sealed it with me / us Prestos ...................

I also thought that ALL staff had a portion of tips. So the people we never see do not get any of the gratuity. I think we will cancel the automatic gratuity and give where we feel it is deserved now.

By all means tip who you feel is deserving, but do bear in mind that all other staff are paid a reasonable salary, only the 5 groups mentioned, along with bar waiters who receive their tips from the tip included in the drinks price, are paid a much lower basic wage which it is assumed will be made up to a good wage through tips.

Not their fault but you will hurt them most by tipping elsewhere.

I also thought that ALL staff had a portion of tips. So the people we never see do not get any of the gratuity. I think we will cancel the automatic gratuity and give where we feel it is deserved now.

All staff never got tips. The tipping originally was cabin steward and two waiters. You got a little booklet in the cabin with a suggested amount.

When it came to auto tipping came in I and many others assumed that it was the same as before. This has now been confirmed by P&O. Along with the addition of the head waiter and butler.

NO! It's because they're cheap!