Do you think shorts are okay in the MDR for dinner?

Do you think shorts are appropriate in the MDR for dinner?  

476 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think shorts are appropriate in the MDR for dinner?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't really care

The only time I've chosen dress shorts for dinner is if the hot weather and/or lack of A/C would have made slacks uncomfortable.

Even then i wouldn't in case i was turned away plus my wife wears cocktail dresses every night and i would show her up.

We were in a 5 star Tenerife hotel once and they had the outside pool Restaurant open for dinner.I wore tailored shorts but the dirty looks i got was unreal.

43 cruises and counting.

No actually it's bang on! Explains the situation very clearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not quite. It's based on a false premise and a close minded point of view. Then again we both know policies are applied in a sexist fashion; it would be unacceptable to label the sparkly top and stretchy pants females as lazy or not caring about their appearance, now wouldn't it?

However if a man throws on stretchy Walmart polyester pants it is the height of fashion. Makes perfect sense...

You can never be overdressed or overeducated.” Oscar Wilde. (But the opposite is definitely true).

I guess it comes down to pride in your appearance, and respect for those in the environment around you. You either have these or you don't.

;)

Your a snooty, phony. If your so high brow. What are you doing on a main stream cruise line Mr. Howell?

"I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend" Neil Peart - Rush..

P.S. Wilde was a heroin, opiate junkie & an alcoholic. Great personality to quote.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There was a great song, in the movie "Robin and the Seven Hoods", sung by Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Bing Crosby. The song was "You either got style or you don't" Google it. If you wear shorts in the MDR for dinner, you don't. Period.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

George C you can likely answer this if your still here .... just wanted to confirm that the an OS still gives you the perk of an early departure? I was reading quite a few horror stories regarding departure and our flight is out of Houston 12:30 pm, we have a driver set for pick up at 9 am. If all things are normal do you think this is this reasonable?

Even then i wouldn't in case i was turned away plus my wife wears cocktail dresses every night and i would show her up.

We were in a 5 star Tenerife hotel once and they had the outside pool Restaurant open for dinner.I wore tailored shorts but the dirty looks i got was unreal.

43 cruises and counting.

dont look at other people. problem solved :) seriously, when i walk in a place i dont look around at everyone, but maybe thats just me being abnormal.

i also do this while driving. i never look at other drivers. zero stress that way. i have a friend i see post on FB all the time about crap she gets into with other drivers and while i do know she's part of the problem, i know if you dont look at or interact with the other driver, most stuff would never happen

You can never be overdressed or overeducated.” Oscar Wilde. (But the opposite is definitely true).

I guess it comes down to pride in your appearance, and respect for those in the environment around you. You either have these or you don't.

;)

So the cruise line has guide lines (not a dress code), so who has the right to claim one type of fashion wrong while another is ok? What makes you the authority?

There is a huge difference between somebody wearing clean, neat apparel (whether the happen to be shorts, slacks, capris, a dress, a suit, a tux, whatever), and somebody going to dinner straight from the pool or the sports court.

Trends and fashion come and go, and life is too short to worry about what others wear, or what others think about what I wear. 20 years ago in my company, suits were required every day. 10 years ago, it was ties until 5pm, then you could take your time off. 5 years ago, it went to business casual everyday. 3 years ago jeans (including shorts) were allowed on Fridays. This year jeans and shirts were added to business casual. Times are changing. While some people and places cling to old traditions because change is bad, others see that people are more individual and are not all the same.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

dont look at other people. problem solved :) seriously, when i walk in a place i dont look around at everyone, but maybe thats just me being abnormal.

i also do this while driving. i never look at other drivers. zero stress that way. i have a friend i see post on FB all the time about crap she gets into with other drivers and while i do know she's part of the problem, i know if you dont look at or interact with the other driver, most stuff would never happen

Agreed, life is too short to worry about people you will never meet.

Good answer on all accounts.

43 cruises and counting.

Part of the problem, in my opinion, is that the people who think casual attire in the MDR (be it shorts, jeans, etc.) is inappropriate believe that the venue is the equivalent of a 4 or 5 star restaurant. I would like them to provide the name and address of any 4 or 5 star restaurant that takes over two hours to bring an appetizer, entrée and desert to the table that is usually only warm (at best), served with an average plating presentation and usually requires the guest add salt and/or pepper.

Sorry...I don't think the MDR rates 4 stars, much less 5.

On our recently completed 9 day cruise, the suggested attire for 7 evenings was casual. Casual dress for men ranges from slacks and a dress shirt, "Holey" jeans and a t-shirts to shorts and a polo/golf shirt.

We've been taking a cruise every year since 2004. In the beginning, we did formal nights. We went out and bought long dresses that we only wore once a year. The guys packed suits, ties, etc. After a while we wondered why we kept doing this when we really didn't want to. Some members of our group had to dress in a suit and tie every day for work and didn't want to do it on vacation. After a while we stopped doing it. We dress in capris and tops. All the guys wear khakis and golf or Hawaiian shirts.

What I don't get is why anyone else would care that we're not dressed up. We couldn't care less what other people are wearing.

Part of the problem, in my opinion, is that the people who think casual attire in the MDR (be it shorts, jeans, etc.) is inappropriate believe that the venue is the equivalent of a 4 or 5 star restaurant. I would like them to provide the name and address of any 4 or 5 star restaurant that takes over two hours to bring an appetizer, entrée and desert to the table that is usually only warm (at best), served with an average plating presentation and usually requires the guest add salt and/or pepper.

Sorry...I don't think the MDR rates 4 stars, much less 5.

On our recently completed 9 day cruise, the suggested attire for 7 evenings was casual. Casual dress for men ranges from slacks and a dress shirt, "Holey" jeans and a t-shirts to shorts and a polo/golf shirt.

At one point in cruise history, I think it was, but not anymore. In my limited experience, I felt the MDR was about the equivalent or many chain restaurants - olive garden, red lobster and sometimes more like ihop or perkins. I am not claiming these are bad, as we go to them from time to time. When I was growing up, we would dress up in our Sunday church clothes at a minimum to go to Red lobster, as it was a big deal for the once every 2-3 months we went out. Now I would not even think twice about a nice polo and khaki shorts to any of those, and will routinely see tshirts there.

;)

they didnt have walmart if those days. i dare say if you went in WM in a tux, you would be looked at more strangely then if you wore tank top and short shorts.

George C you can likely answer this if your still here .... just wanted to confirm that the an OS still gives you the perk of an early departure? I was reading quite a few horror stories regarding departure and our flight is out of Houston 12:30 pm, we have a driver set for pick up at 9 am. If all things are normal do you think this is this reasonable?

You should have no problem we also told driver last year to pick us up at 9am ( same as we are doing next week) and we were outside with bags at 8:45, we cruised out of Galveston last 3 years are were out at same time, concierge walks you off right after the people that carry there own luggage , enjoy your OS ( Liberty has a really nice new suite lounge)

And this one is bumped again.

I don't understand why going to my room to wash up and put on clean nice khaki shorts is more "lazy" than doing the same and putting on long pants?

But the anti-shorts folks always equate shorts with dirty, or straight from the pool/excursion. It's two different things.

Simply because people who are dining in what is considered to be a "dining room" do not wish to see your legs. Wear your shorts to the buffet.

Maybe I don't want to see somebody in a tux, or a dress, maybe they should go to a specialty restaurant.

Or we could all just live and let live and not worry about things that don't affect us.

Why is it okay for a woman to wear a shirt skirt or capris and show legs, but not a man?

Simply because people who are dining in what is considered to be a "dining room" do not wish to see your legs. Wear your shorts to the buffet.

The buffet is also a room in which people are dining. You choose to make a distinction. Seems that's your issue.

Maybe I don't want to see somebody in a tux, or a dress, maybe they should go to a specialty restaurant.

Or we could all just live and let live and not worry about things that don't affect us.

Why is it okay for a woman to wear a shirt skirt or capris and show legs, but not a man?

What if,,,,women wear shorts in the MDR? Wonder if that's ok

You should have no problem we also told driver last year to pick us up at 9am ( same as we are doing next week) and we were outside with bags at 8:45, we cruised out of Galveston last 3 years are were out at same time, concierge walks you off right after the people that carry there own luggage , enjoy your OS ( Liberty has a really nice new suite lounge)

Thank you .... really appreciate! See you on the ship!

You know what, this topic has beaten to death in this forum. If the cruise line has a prescribed dress code that excludes shorts, then why do you have a problem with observing the code? Man OR woman?