Choice Air

bigdawgs

We are booked on a South American cruise which arrives in Buenos Aires at 5:00 AM. We would like to book our flight home (Buenos Aires to Miami) nonstop with American Airlines which leaves at 10:20 AM. Yet Choice Air refuses to make this booking because of "insufficient time" to disembark the ship. Realistically, how much time is needed to make this connection, even assuming a travel time of 1 hour to the airport from the cruise terminal and carrying our bags off the ship ourselves?

Larry & Ethel

We just recently returned from a South America cruise & our ship also had a 5am arrival. We weren't in a rush but I don't recall any passengers disembarking until about 7.

We found both boarding & disembarking to be slow and depending upon how many ships are there chaotic. The port security and immigration are the culprits not X. Another thing to keep in mind is that you must take a shuttle to/from the terminal & the ship. That adds another 10-15 minutes to the process.

There's a reason they won't let you book it -- that is not enough time to disembark, get through all immigration/customs formalities, get to the airport, go through their immigration and customs formalities, and make that flight.

If you really want to fly nonstop, consider spending the night in BA. Otherwise, book a later flight.

True, you don't need to use Choice Air. But still that is not enough time in Buenos Aires to leave the ship, get to the terminal, go through entry procedures, get to the airport, check in, go through the exit procedures and be at your gate by the time required by the airlines for international travel.

I agree with the others that is not enough time .... although, you can call down to Choice Air and they may book you on that flight anyway. They will just not guarantee to insure it if the flight is too early. Unless you are getting a good savings from Choice Air, I would just book it on the airline site directly ... that is, if you really want to chance missing that flight.

Not sure which cruise you are on but the Valparaiso to Buenos Aires Cruises include an overnight in BA. If your cruise includes an overnight you would have no problem doing a morning flight on the second day. You may have to call to have an agent book it.

Thank you all for your input. I think we will take our chances and book the morning flight, as we do not have to make any connections in Miami.

Happy Passover - Happy Easter.

Larry and Ethel

There's a reason they won't let you book it -- that is not enough time to disembark, get through all immigration/customs formalities, get to the airport, go through their immigration and customs formalities, and make that flight.

What immigration and customs formalities are you referring to at the departure airport? Immigration and customs are for arrival into a country; hence, going through at the port terminal when you arrive back in the country after a cruise. Unless the airport has an arrangement (as they do at some Canadian and Irish airports, for example) to have pre-departure US customs clearance, you wouldn't go through this process at the airport prior to an international departure. They'll check your passport to make sure you have one (i.e. are eligible to fly on an international flight) but that's not the same as clearing immigration and customs.

Good Luck in your decision! I would hope you would wait and book a later flight so you wouldn't have to think about, or worry about making your flight. If you are flying choice air, I know the rates are much better with them. Hope it all works out for you.

Airport transportation companies claim that 3 hours is sufficient time to disembark, etc., etc. Therefore, if the ship arrives at 5 AM and the flight departs at 10:20 AM, that leaves 5 hrs and 20 minutes to make the flight. Incidentally, the fare with Choice Air is exactly the same as the AA website. Most likely, if we miss the flight, we will overnight at an airport hotel as we do not prefer overnight flights. Let the chips fall where they may.

It is true that I asked for your advice and the majority say do not take the chance and I am choosing to disregard it.

But I do thank you for your input.

Larry