Will Celebrity Ever Sail From California Again ?

mcrcruiser

We miss the round trip Hawaii & Mexico cruises which sailed from San Diego or San Pedro ,southern California .

How many of you would like to see Celebrity resume those sailings ?

Heck they could even add a west coast Panama Canal partial transit of 10 nights, like they do from the Florida ports.;)

In our opinion Celebrity or Royal Caribbean could spare a ship or 2 to do those interesting itineraries .:)

Give us your feedback

Interesting that you keep posting these threads every few months, but you cancelled both Celebrity cruises that sail out of the West coast that you were on. :confused:

Not sure I understand.

A few days ago you started a thread about how high Celebrity's current fares are and that it's causing you to look to other cruise lines. If Celebrity did in fact return to California, would you be willing to book and pay their prices?

Yes because we would not need to fly ;which obviously adds to any vacation .Additionally in our late 70s the thought of flying to take a cruise is not a welcome item any longer (we have 77 past cruises with over 40 on Celebrity ships)

With not flying we save hundreds to thousands & that then makes Celebrity pricing reasonable:)

The last Celebrity cruise we could take from San Diego was on Century round trip 15 night Hawaii cruise .When Celebrity sold off Century , west coasters had to sail Princess ,Holland or Carnival .

BTW with regards to profitability those competitor 3 cruise lines find it profitable to sail from California ports ;)

We now sail on Princess & Holland America because we don't need to fly :)

We are elite + level . Those perks are very nice & we miss them

Loved our 10 night cruise on the Mercury back in 2005. Would do it again.

We also sailed Mercury April 2005 from San Francisco, CA. Was a great cruise.

Now that my son has just moved to Long Beach (right near where the Queen Mary is docked), I would love them to start sailing from San Pedro Pier.

Yes because we would not need to fly ;which obviously adds to any vacation .Additionally in our late 70s the thought of flying to take a cruise is not a welcome item any longer (we have 77 past cruises with over 40 on Celebrity ships)

With not flying we save hundreds to thousands & that then makes Celebrity pricing reasonable:)

I was just confused because your thread last week focused on Celebrity's rates being too high. But I guess what you're saying is they're only high if you have to combine them with the cost of air fare.

I was just confused because your thread last week focused on Celebrity's rates being too high. But I guess what you're saying is they're only high if you have to combine them with the cost of air fare.

Yes when you need to add airfares the cost per day to cruise increases substantially . Back when there were more 'real" repositioning cruises ,we were able to sail a repo cruise on a HAL ship from San Diego to Vancouver (a 4 night cruise ) & then board a 7 night Celebrity Cruise for Alaska with only a one way flight .

Today flying not only adds to the vacation expense but is work & hassles vs years past when flying was fun . Now in our late 70s ,we have made the decision to avoid flying .

In addition to cruise vacations we take many land trips to visit our wonderful USA ;which with our time share & getaway options is very reasonable .We do those land trips while we are physically able

This is a example of a Princess round trip Hawaii cruise October 2017 per passenger cost ,inside cabin $1694 +115 tax ,outside cabin 41899 = 115 tax & balcony at $2819 +115 tax . Double those prices for 2 to a cabin These are the entry level cabin categories . better locations are higher cost . when comparing Celebrity pricing to Princess ,we can't see why Celebrity could not be profitable sailing a ship from t he California ports

This is a example of a Princess round trip Hawaii cruise October 2017 per passenger cost ,inside cabin $1694 +115 tax ,outside cabin 41899 = 115 tax & balcony at $2819 +115 tax . Double those prices for 2 to a cabin These are the entry level cabin categories . better locations are higher cost . when comparing Celebrity pricing to Princess ,we can't see why Celebrity could not be profitable sailing a ship from t he California ports

Keep in mind that there is more than fares involved. CCL has existing west coast infrastructure and contracts in place for home porting ships. Celebrity does not home port any ships there. They just have an occasional cruise there. They would have higher incremental costs.

CCL lines have an established west coast business. In the past they have provided steep discounts as they built their that market. Celebrity does not have that business established.

The fares are relatively inexpensive already. Adding another line into the mix would put additional competitive pressure on pricing. Just because fares might be profitable before they enter, does not mean that they would be after they entered.

They can get better value where their ships already are. If they add enough ships to their fleet and keep all of their existing ones they might get to the point some day where it would make economic sense for them to try and develop a west coast market.

Thanks & your information is very good .

The point is that as the cruise prices increase the available markets also increase .

Alaska cruising has some of the highest EPA & port rules around & yet both Celebrity & RCCL have ships sailing the Alaska routes .

It seems to us that any company giving up a huge market to their competitors will one day have to pay a lot more to break back into that market .

RCL certainly has enough mid sized ships in their fleet that they could spare one .After all they went into Australia/New Zealand with a whole lot less population than the west coast American market . We found that very interesting to compare both markets & we have sailed from SD to Sydney on a 21 day HAL cruise ;which was a wonderful cruise . Flying back wasn't so wonderful with even first class it was 25 hours & 3 airports & lost luggage because of 3 different airlines & 3 airports . That was October 2015 & after that cruise/air we said never again to where we need to fly , If it isn't a round trip California port we aren't cruising . We have been to Europe twice on ships ,Alaska 5 times , Panama Canal twice , Hawaii 6 times ,Mexico too many to count

Looking back at our past & best cruises were when we had round trip San Diego port ;which we can get to via auto in 35 minutes;because of convenience & no hassles flying :)

I'd love to see more SoCal cruises. There are so many itineraries other than the Cabo-PV-Mazatlan that could be done. Those ports are ok but once you've done them no reason to go back (although I do like Cabo). There are some great ports in the Sea of Cortez, Ixtapa is nice and they could even go down to Costa Rica. Longer Pacific coastal cruises up to Victoria and back would probably sell well. I've done the Solstice to Hawaii from both SoCal and Vancouver and from Socal it was WAY better. From Vancouver the first two days are freezing. From SoCal it's warm and less chance of rough seas.

There are very few ships sailing from SoCal in the summer. Really only Carnival and those ships are old. There's a market and very little product. I am doing the Infinity coastal in October. I can't see how they are not making money because its nearly as much as I paid for my last 12 day cruise in the Carib and it's 4 days shorter. There used to be a lot of ships sailing from LA that changed when the economy tanked and the violence in Mexico didn't help (although there is probably more violence in LA).

I'd love to see more SoCal cruises. There are so many itineraries other than the Cabo-PV-Mazatlan that could be done. Those ports are ok but once you've done them no reason to go back (although I do like Cabo). There are some great ports in the Sea of Cortez, Ixtapa is nice and they could even go down to Costa Rica. Longer Pacific coastal cruises up to Victoria and back would probably sell well. I've done the Solstice to Hawaii from both SoCal and Vancouver and from Socal it was WAY better. From Vancouver the first two days are freezing. From SoCal it's warm and less chance of rough seas.

There are very few ships sailing from SoCal in the summer. Really only Carnival and those ships are old. There's a market and very little product. I am doing the Infinity coastal in October. I can't see how they are not making money because its nearly as much as I paid for my last 12 day cruise in the Carib and it's 4 days shorter. There used to be a lot of ships sailing from LA that changed when the economy tanked and the violence in Mexico didn't help (although there is probably more violence in LA).

Agree 1000 % .;)

We live in the San Diego county Coastal area & we haven't heard of any violence in the Mexican or near the Mexican Riviera ports for quite some time now . :D

Cruising from the San Pedro World Cruise Center is fine & really no problems there ;as it is not close to Los Angeles & potential crime

Both Celebrity & RCCL are servicing the Alaska cruise market again , so why not from California ports? The EPA & other standard requirements for cruise ships is very tough in the Alaska waters . California can't be any tougher

Yes cruising to Hawaii is so much warmer from southern California vs Vancouver & the sea conditions are calmer as well . Just can't see why X & RCCL are so determined not to sail from California ports ,especially since the economy is so much improved :)

Ok I just did a quick check. Princess March 3, 2018, 7 night cruise out of west coast. Lowest suite is $1349.00 pp. Carnival west coast cruise 7 nights lowest suite $1144 pp. Celebrity March 3, 2018, Caribbean cruise, 7 night, lowest suite is $2899 pp. You might have to take in the 4 Perks that come with a low end suite. But internet and drink packages are very inexpensive for the cruise line.

Also it looks like Celebrity has just put 2 M-Class ship up for SALE.:eek:

But you can get an 8 night carib on the summit next April in a suite for $1999. The only ships sailing in March are the S class which are more $$$ it seems. The rust buckets they sail from LA right now cannot command high prices so the M class are a better comparison. Factor in the perks and those prices are similar (they may not cost the cruise line much but they sure cost us plenty!). I'm paying over $2k pp for a AQ on the infinity in Oct. Judging by the current pricing the ship must be pretty full, so the demand is here. For $350 million we can buy the M-class ships and start our own cruise line;p

But you can get an 8 night carib on the summit next April in a suite for $1999. The only ships sailing in March are the S class which are more $$$ it seems. The rust buckets they sail from LA right now cannot command high prices so the M class are a better comparison. Factor in the perks and those prices are similar (they may not cost the cruise line much but they sure cost us plenty!). I'm paying over $2k pp for a AQ on the infinity in Oct. Judging by the current pricing the ship must be pretty full, so the demand is here. For $350 million we can buy the M-class ships and start our own cruise line;p

We had 4 cruises booked for this year. We canceled the Infinity Sept 17, 2017. The price is high for Celebrity just does not have that many west coast cruises. I move the reservation (booked on a cruise) to March 2019 for a suite on The Edge. Without the Sept cruise we will be on Celebrity 36 days this year. Maybe we can add a Alaska cruise in the fall.

We just returned from a princess 7 nights cruise. The ship was sold out they even send an Emil if we wanted to cancel and rebook another day. We had go in an inside cabin as we could not get any thing else and paid just $400.00 less than a balcony cabin in the Harmoney. Princess sell out it's cruises every time and I'm sure they are making money. Next year they are having one cruise to Panama Canal round trip from Los Angeles 19 days and few Hawaii cruise round trip Los and from San Francisco 15 days. We booked one just today. Very sad and miss Celebraty and RCCL without having to fly.

Thanks everyone for your comments & opinions .:)

Yes it is sad that Celebrity & RCCL ships have abandoned Cruising from California ports :loudcry:

Perhaps one day (could be too late & cost them a bundle) they will endeavor to recapture their market share here in California