Bringing Equipment Inc. Knife for Excursion

Welly09

Morning all, I am going to call Celebrity later today but sadly, sometimes their customer service pre-cruise doesn't live up to the level of care you experience on board.

We have an upcoming sailing in July to Bermuda and my brother has booked a private fishing excursion. He's bringing his own rods, reels, etc. from home and wants to bring a 4" knife. The fishing group (well known, reputable, etc.) recommended he bring everything he'll need as they supply nothing. My question is... do we think Celebrity will let him bring the knife on board? Scissors with 4" or shorter blades are allowed, I don't know if that impacts anything.

Input greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I dive and instead of my normal dive knife, I bring a pair of bandage scissors - blunt tipped and a ~2". Never had an issue with getting it onboard. Security has pointed it out and asked about it before, but after they look at them - no issue.

<p>

Thanks everyone! I just spoke to Celebrity and they're allowed so we'll see. Thanks!
</p><br><p>Please keep in mind that this may change when you board.  We bought a very nice leather man in Istanbul as a gift & it was held for us until we disembarked a few weeks later, we were given a receipt & picked it up as we left the ship.  </p><br><p>If there's a problem, I wonder if they will hold it for you, let you take it on the excursion, & then hold it again?  </p><br><p>Anyway, good luck & enjoy. :)</p>

Was it it your carry-on or checked luggage? I always take mine, in my checked luggage, and have never had them confiscate it.

Actually, I was coming back from shore and put it into the round bucket along with my cell phone to go thru x-ray. I found out later if I took off all my metal/belt buckle, etc., and left it in my pocket, it would not set off the walk thru machine.

The whole knife thingy on a ship really gives me a laugh... (I can see not allowing knives on board an aircraft)

So you leave your 2" Swiss Army Knife at home, Check on board and first night's dinner you order a nice NY Strip, What do they bring you.... A big, Honking, Steak Knife, 5-6" blade, serrated able to handle their toughest cut of beef and you would think you would need to go through a metal detector just to leave dinner.....

My Dad who is 80 had his jack knife taken on embarking. He was so upset as he carried it since he was a boy. I went with him to discuss it a few days later and said it was far less dangerous than the steak knives at dinner,. He had gone homself the day before with no luck . We walked away with his knife.. Made my Daddy proud again:D

The whole knife thingy on a ship really gives me a laugh... (I can see not allowing knives on board an aircraft)

So you leave your 2" Swiss Army Knife at home, Check on board and first night's dinner you order a nice NY Strip, What do they bring you.... A big, Honking, Steak Knife, 5-6" blade, serrated able to handle their toughest cut of beef and you would think you would need to go through a metal detector just to leave dinner.....

LOL I never thought of it like that but that's hilarious!

I was a naive cruiser 14 years ago (our 3rd cruise) in the Baltics and in Finland I found the perfect steak knife & fork set. So I bought 4 of them. I think each box had one all metal steak knife and a coordinating fork. Hackmann if I remember correctly. They were lovely. Returning, I put my packages in my backpack and put my backpack through the scanner. I didn't notice but my husband said the Celebrity employee's eyes were huge when she saw what I was bringing on board. They confiscated them and on the last day, they brought them up, let me pack my suitcase, and then took my suitcase away. Again, the knives were no more dangerous than the ones on steak night.

Exactly. The knife issue is ridiculous.

Well this thread is a moot point because I totally misunderstood him. The KNIFE is 4" but the blade is only 2.5" which is allowed. Thanks for the input!

Interesting - did not realize that a 2.5" blade was allowed - the blades of the box cutters used on 9/11 were shorter than that!