What Didin't You Pack?

On one of our Canada/NE cruises, I forgot to pack my hubby's pants. Not a single pair. I had been so concerned about getting my kids stuff, that I forgot hubby. All he had was the shorts he wore on the ship. Fortunately, first stop was Portland so we ended up spending a couple of hours in a store buying several pairs of pants for the guy. Ever since that trip, hubby always asks me to show him what I've packed for him. :')

Tell him to pack his own >{$/):&; clothes. Problem solved.

Cruise around the horn from Buenos Aires through the Chilean glaciers area to Santiago I forgot my coat! It was an unusually warm January day in NJ & I was wearing a Travelsmith pant suit with a nice blazer and never missed my coat until it was too late to turn around. (I've got the nicest leather car coat from Montevideo now!) But I really regretted leaving my comfy sweatshirt home. I justified that decision by bringing a blazer & sweater - I was miserable in both as neither gave me that cozy, comfy feeling! Sweatshirt is one of the first things I pack now!!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Forgot to pack toothpaste once. We got to our cruise port hotel and went to brush our teeth. no toothpaste. Lucky for us there was a lot of stores are before we boarded. That would have been a long week without brushing

For 3 out of the last 4 cruises, I've forgotten something, the wine-which was sitting ont he kitchen counter all packed to go; my hearing aid streamer--all the playlists worked on were for naught; my phone--left in the car charging and DW wouldn't let me go back and get it as we were waiting 45 minutes to board.:( Senior moments all.:D

I did forget a mini first aid kit. Maybe I didn't forget, I probably never planned to take one.

About a month before we sailed I was walking in some weeds and a dried weed jammed into my ankle. It healed all was well. When we got to Seattle and walked around the day before sailing the broken off weed worked it's way out of my ankle and started to look infected. So I ended up paying $15 for Niosporin (sp) at the hotel. Of course the next morning we walked out of the hotel and there was a Walgreens across the street.

Most USELESS thing I've packed and more than once: gym clothes and sneakers. My lazy butt never made it there, didn't even contemplate it. It sounded good while packing but now I'm much more realistic, I'm just not going to work out on any vacation ever. Most useful thing on a cruise is liquid hand soap. Makes keeping clean and germ free much easier and more pleasant. Worst thing I forgot: strapless bra needed for gown to be worn on one of two formal nights. No bras for sale on a cruise ship, I can tell you that.

We keep forgetting to pack plug-in night lights. Got some nifty green-colored lights from Walmart a couple of weeks ago. Gonna get more and toss them in our luggage. Just have to ensure that the wall receptacles are 110v.

I've used battery operated tea lights as night lights. I put one on a shelf in the bathroom. This past Christmas, I found some Santa tea lights with a ribbon attached from the Dollar Store. I had one in the bathroom hanging from a hook on the wall and the other one in the hallway area of the cabin hanging on the wall outside the bathroom door. They do turn on and off to conserve the battery life, but the Santa ones were so cute I left them on 24/7.

For my next cruise I am going to "forget" to pack formal wear and many of my unnecessary toiletries.

My husband and I have been taking suits and blazers and cocktail dresses for myself on cruises and we are slowly beginning to "forget" formal wear, too. I now have it down to one black maxi dress that I can outfit in multiple ways to fit for both formal and casual wearings. My husband finally agreed to leave his blazer and suits at home, but he is still taking dress shirts and ties. Haven't totally given up on formal wear (yet).

Forgot to pack toothpaste once. We got to our cruise port hotel and went to brush our teeth. no toothpaste. Lucky for us there was a lot of stores are before we boarded. That would have been a long week without brushing

[emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji33]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I forgot 3 pairs of pants on a 7 might cruise once. Couldn't believe it; Mr. Organized!!!! Borrowed partners black pants and had them cleaned once as I only wear them to dinner and then change for the after dinner shows.. Since then, I only wear and bring 2 pairs of black pants and just change the shirts. Less to bring and worry about. Worked out great for me!!!

I did forget a mini first aid kit. Maybe I didn't forget, I probably never planned to take one.

About a month before we sailed I was walking in some weeds and a dried weed jammed into my ankle. It healed all was well. When we got to Seattle and walked around the day before sailing the broken off weed worked it's way out of my ankle and started to look infected. So I ended up paying $15 for Niosporin (sp) at the hotel. Of course the next morning we walked out of the hotel and there was a Walgreens across the street.

Whoa, back up!

You walked around with a dried weed in your ankle for a month and you didn't know? And Neosporin was applied a month later?

Ouch!

Thoughts about the above:

- Never brought power strip /never needed one

- Similar thought: I once brought an over-the-door organizer; it took up a bunch of space in the suitcase and wasn't useful.

- Definitely have packed too many clothes; I suspect that's the #1 answer to this question ... and the #1 #1 detail would be excessive shoes. No one else notices.

As for things people have been glad they've brought:

- I totally agree with packing OTC meds and first aid kit; if such things are available onboard, they’re expensive onboard

- Instead of plug-in night lights, we like to pack glow sticks (buy them at the dollar store); kids can take them to bed, and they’re just the right amount of soft light to get you to the rest room

There are a lot of threads about useful things to pack, but were there things you didn't pack that you wish you had?

I wish I would have had ear plugs. Sure could have used them because we had a balcony door slammer next to us!

And what was the least useful thing you packed?

We bought a power strip for the cabin and never opened the package. I also wish I hadn't packed so many clothes. We didn't wear half of what we took!

Three women without a hair brush! Cost me $AUD15 for a small brush at the onboard shop that could fit in the palm of your hand. The only offering.

We took an over door organiser. Didn't unpack it. Sufficient storage for the three of us. Favourite thing to pack, 9kg magnetic hooks to hang up wet gear, jackets, sarongs, hats etc. From Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums