Any loyal Carnival cruisers tried NCL?

thegoodlife247

I give up...arguing is pointless...

If you mean can either of us change the other's mind, yes, you are probably right. But others following the thread may find some value in the differing view points.

If you mean can either of us change the other's mind, yes, you are probably right. But others following the thread may find some value in the differing view points.

The irony is the lack of insight from your perspective, given that you have not sailed on those ships. IDK how do you not see this.

The irony is the lack of insight from your perspective, given that you have not sailed on those ships. IDK how do you not see this.

I'd like to jump in and play a little Devil's advocate here on behalf of Sparks.

Maybe Sparks should have gone with "preference".

For example, I do not daily drive a big 4 X 4 Diesel pickup truck. I never have. I likely never will. I can afford one, but the features and attributes of using one do not appeal or apply to my lifestyle. Therefore without having owned a 4 X 4 Diesel pickup truck I still can tell that they do not suit my preferences, regardless of my ability to afford one or ability to appreciate a number of its features or attributes such as carrying large loads or towing heavy objects; useful, but not applicable to me. I do not need to have first hand experience to know that I prefer something else. I think there are parallels there to the point Sparks is making.

I have plenty of insight from my perspective. I'll sail on a big ship if the itinerary and price are right, I just don't see the point of paying a premium price for sailing on one.

I'd like to jump in and play a little Devil's advocate here on behalf of Sparks.

For example, I do not daily drive a big 4 X 4 Diesel pickup truck. I never have. I likely never will. I can afford one, but the features and attributes of using one do not appeal or apply to my lifestyle. Therefore without having owned a 4 X 4 Diesel pickup truck I still can tell that they do not suit my preferences, regardless of my ability to afford one or ability to appreciate a number of its features or attributes such as carrying large loads or towing heavy objects; useful, but not applicable to me. I do not need to have first hand experience to know that I prefer something else. I think there are parallels there to the point Sparks is making.

Like I said, I am done.

I have a friend exactly like sparks. I can talk until I am blue in the face...and they will never actually critically think about what I said. Why even bother?

Yes, preference is a good word, thank you.

Yes, preference is a good word, thank you.

Willful ignorance is not the same as preference. It's like saying that I have lived in the US my entire life, and I don't want to go to Europe or Asia because I like my surroundings in the US.

Anyways, this is not a life or death situation. It's your money. Feel free to do w/ what you please. You don't answer to anyone but yourself.

Like I said, I am done.

I have a friend exactly like sparks. I can talk until I am blue in the face...and they will never actually critically think about what I said. Why even bother?

I think you are reading into Sparks a more extreme position than they are actually taking. Sparks has no preference for the bells and whistles of big ships, so isn't seeking them out. But should there be a great deal on one, he will take it. He just isn't going to pay extra for things that do not appeal to him. He won't rule out trying them if the price is agreeable though.

I get that.

When people pay as much to take a Fantasy-class ship as a much newer large/mega ship. They say they like the small ship (okay) and don't like big ships...but have never tried a big ship, and pass off Fantasty-class as quaint and easy to get around. But if you point out they are small, tired, and lack features they get very angry and don't concede the points. To me that is willful ignorance. I don't think that is what Sparks is doing.

The Op's question (summarized) was "So, has anyone tried NCL or sailed the Getaway specifically?" Empathically arguing a point of not cruising NCL isn't doing much to help the OP or the topic of this thread, unless the person making that argument has actually sailed Getaway or even a sister ship. Just my .02.

I think you are reading into Sparks a more extreme position than they are actually taking. Sparks has no preference for the bells and whistles of big ships, so isn't seeking them out. But should there be a great deal on one, he will take it. He just isn't going to pay extra for things that do not appeal to him. He won't rule out trying them if the price is agreeable though.

I get that.

When people pay as much to take a Fantasy-class ship as a much newer large/mega ship. They say they like the small ship (okay) and don't like big ships...but have never tried a big ship, and pass off Fantasty-class as quaint and easy to get around. But if you point out they are small, tired, and lack features they get very angry and don't concede the points. To me that is willful ignorance. I don't think that is what Sparks is doing.

Thank you, exactly what I was saying.

In the pricing I quoted earlier in the thread I priced out the Escape and Vista for 2019 and Vista was a little under $1800 less than Escape (and the cruises left from different ports). The difference between the Escape and the Pride (leaving from the northeast on similar itineraries) was $1400 less for the Pride.

What I was trying to point out to you is that the prices are essentially the same for an old Carnival ship or a new NCL ship. Yes the very newest ships on all cruise lines cost more in their maiden year and maybe even in their second year, but as they get older, the prices go down and become much more similar to the. prices for even the oldest Carnival ships. So using cost as a reason not to cruise on newer ships with more amenities doesn't make sense. If you bargain hunt, you can find amazing deals on cruises on newer ships. But if you don't hunt around and just assume you only like smaller older ships because of the lower prices you will miss out on new experiences simply by refusing to consider that your supposed issue (price) could be a non-issue.

What I was trying to point out to you is that the prices are essentially the same for an old Carnival ship or a new NCL ship. Yes the very newest ships on all cruise lines cost more in their maiden year and maybe even in their second year, but as they get older, the prices go down and become much more similar to the. prices for even the oldest Carnival ships. So using cost as a reason not to cruise on newer ships with more amenities doesn't make sense. If you bargain hunt, you can find amazing deals on cruises on newer ships. But if you don't hunt around and just assume you only like smaller older ships because of the lower prices you will miss out on new experiences simply by refusing to consider that your supposed issue (price) could be a non-issue.

As I've said numerous times in this thread I comparison shop for every cruise that we book. Yes, I am well aware that NCL can have some good deals. I've just not seen them when it's come time to book. (And I don't think that a $1400 price difference is similar in price.) When we've retired our booking strategy will probably change and I won't even start looking for a cruise until it's 2 to 3 months out.

In the pricing I quoted earlier in the thread I priced out the Escape and Vista for 2019 and Vista was a little under $1800 less than Escape (and the cruises left from different ports). The difference between the Escape and the Pride (leaving from the northeast on similar itineraries) was $1400 less for the Pride.
I would be very curious to see more information on this comparison. Same length of cruise? Same month? Same cabin type? Number of ports? Do share! I've sailed both the Escape and the Vista and I got a balcony for four and a drink package for two for seven days then I did on a spa inside on the Vista for 8 days. I have a hard time believing in was $1800 more for the Escape for 2 considering how expensive the Vista is.

I would be very curious to see more information on this comparison. Same length of cruise? Same month? Same cabin type? Number of ports? Do share! I've sailed both the Escape and the Vista and I got a balcony for four and a drink package for two for seven days then I did on a spa inside on the Vista for 8 days. I have a hard time believing in was $1800 more for the Escape for 2 considering how expensive the Vista is.

It's all up thread, in the 50 to 60 post range. Same month, balcony cabin on each (Vista was for a Cove I believe), Escape is a 7 nighter out of NYC to the Bahamas, Vista is a 6 nighter out of Galveston to the Western Caribbean. Same week in April 2019. Source of info was each cruise line's website. (And yes, I've already acknowledged the differences in the cruises but the person I was responding to specified to compare those two ships.)

Sigh, if you say so. I've stayed in many 4 and 5 star establishments over the years for business and wouldn't stay in any of them again if I were paying the tab because to me it's a waste of money and it has nothing to do with having a good time or not, I've never been into the finer things in life. I'm just as happy in a 3 star establishment. I read posts like Warm Breezes' above (whose opinion I respect a lot) when she says what more she is getting on a big ship versus a smaller ship and how much more she is spending to get them and none of those things hold any allure for me where I'm willing to spend significantly more to get them. So in your view what does a bigger ship offer that a smaller ship doesn't, what am I going to regret not experiencing?

Thanks for that Sparks and the respect goes both ways. I totally get where you are coming from. Many factors come into play for us when deciding which ship to sail. Factors such as timing, itinerary, embarkation port, and sometimes it is the ship itself. We make a list of ships that meet the majority of the factors we want then look at the costs of those ships.

DH prefers smaller to mid-size ships. While he likes the entertainment on the larger ships, the other "attractions" offered by the new mega ships have little appeal to him and Carnival entertainment is just fine with him. I prefer mid-size to mega ships. I love the dueling pianos and broadway shows offered on the mega ships of NCL. The angled balcony for the same price as a normal balcony is a plus for me too. We can go with or without the UBP or SDP. While it is nice to have on our Escape cruise, I don't think we will miss it on our Fantasy cruise.

We cruise to relax and enjoy the ocean. Everything else is a plus. Sometimes we feel like paying more for some extras and sometime we don't....if we find a deal on any line that meets our other factors we will grab it. For us RCI is the line that has met our other factors before but their prices put them at the bottom of our list every time. Just like NCL does for you. I would love to sail them some time but I'm just not willing to pay a premium to do it over other ships that also meet our wants.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Warm Breezes

I am contemplating trying the NCL getaway next spring break. I love Carnival and would definitely book again for our next vacation but there isn't an itinerary on a ship with the amenities our 12 year old adventure loving, thrill seeking DD would enjoy.

Any thoughts, advice or suggestions is welcome.

My biggest complaint with NCL, now, and I have sailed them 4 times, most recent in November 2015, is they have gotten more "nickel and dimey". Several cruise lines have gotten away from bringing bottle drinks onboard, NCL doesn't allow any bottles, cans, whatever to be brought on. And the price they have set for bottled water is ridiculous. You can buy it cheaper at a convenience store out of a chilled cooler for less than they charge for it. I realize that you are being offered the "drink package" but it does not include bottled water. Nothing wrong with drinking the water on the ship, but a couple of bottles for the cabin fridge are nice to have. The drink package on NCL is "free" but you still have to pay the 18% gratuity for it. The cabins are smaller but not so small that it is uncomfortable. The price you paid during spring break really can't be compared to times when school is not out. Summer, spring break, , Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years are all about 30 - 50% higher than any other time.

Been on Destiny, Breeze, Victory, and the Glory ..... LOVED the Glory, the rest were great as well.

Been on HAL, Celebrity, and NCL.. The others were nice, all with pros and cons, but I Hated NCL.

From the staff at check in - they were rude and unwilling to even listen, let alone Help out!

Was on the Epic - an Epic Fail! Room was Tiny, beds were hard, ship was laid out terribly ( there was vomit and urine in the elevators by late night cuz of the lack of public restrooms)... Food was horrible, - at best. Service was slow, if at all! There were staff walking around with hand sanitizer - Barking "HANDS!" like a school nun, and then spraying sticky, stinky crap over your hands. The wifi was crazy expensive and slow or non-existant. They "nickel and dime" you over everything! They did have lots of bacon on the buffet! - and the food in the "paid" restaurants was acceptable, sometimes even Good! - and so was some of the entertainment! - but it was expensive and can quite easily double the cost of your cruise - even without alcohol! The highlight was a guest entertainer in the piano bar, He salvaged the trip entirely! .

Thanks for that Sparks and the respect goes both ways. I totally get where you are coming from. Many factors come into play for us when deciding which ship to sail. Factors such as timing, itinerary, embarkation port, and sometimes it is the ship itself. We make a list of ships that meet the majority of the factors we want then look at the costs of those ships.

DH prefers smaller to mid-size ships. While he likes the entertainment on the larger ships, the other "attractions" offered by the new mega ships have little appeal to him and Carnival entertainment is just fine with him. I prefer mid-size to mega ships. I love the dueling pianos and broadway shows offered on the mega ships of NCL. The angled balcony for the same price as a normal balcony is a plus for me too. We can go with or without the UBP or SDP. While it is nice to have on our Escape cruise, I don't think we will miss it on our Fantasy cruise.

We cruise to relax and enjoy the ocean. Everything else is a plus. Sometimes we feel like paying more for some extras and sometime we don't....if we find a deal on any line that meets our other factors we will grab it. For us RCI is the line that has met our other factors before but their prices put them at the bottom of our list every time. Just like NCL does for you. I would love to sail them some time but I'm just not willing to pay a premium to do it over other ships that also meet our wants.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Pretty much the way we choose which cruise to take also. Itinerary is becoming a little more important than price at this point (contemplating Alaska or Aruba for 2019, I know- big swing there) and we are in a position where we can sail at the time of year that works best provided we have enough lead time. We want to try all of the mainstream lines at some point so if there is a cruise line we haven't sailed before (which is most:)) and the prices are close to the lowest we're likely to take them, even if it means sailing on an older, smaller ship;) (or a newer, bigger ship for that matter). The great thing about cruising is there is something for everyone.

It's all up thread, in the 50 to 60 post range. Same month, balcony cabin on each (Vista was for a Cove I believe), Escape is a 7 nighter out of NYC to the Bahamas, Vista is a 6 nighter out of Galveston to the Western Caribbean. Same week in April 2019. Source of info was each cruise line's website. (And yes, I've already acknowledged the differences in the cruises but the person I was responding to specified to compare those two ships.)

I had to look up and yeah, NCL is $1500 more than Vista in April 2019. That's wild. I wouldn't sail NCL over Vista for those prices either. I would point out that you can get on Allure of the Seas, with an extra day, for a couple hundred bucks more than Vista. Isn't Vista considered Carnivals version of a mega ship, anyways? If you are looking at Vista, then you don't seem to have a problem going for the larger and more feature rich ships....

I had to look up and yeah, NCL is $1500 more than Vista in April 2019. That's wild. I wouldn't sail NCL over Vista for those prices either. I would point out that you can get on Allure of the Seas, with an extra day, for a couple hundred bucks more than Vista. Isn't Vista considered Carnivals version of a mega ship, anyways? If you are looking at Vista, then you don't seem to have a problem going for the larger and more feature rich ships....

I only looked because someone said that I should compare the prices of the Vista and the Escape. I also checked other prices and there were other ships/cruise lines that would get the nod ahead of either Vista or Escape (I believe that RCI had a sale going on when I looked which made them front runner, but while we are looking at 2019 we aren't ready to book yet).

Been on Destiny, Breeze, Victory, and the Glory ..... LOVED the Glory, the rest were great as well.

Been on HAL, Celebrity, and NCL.. The others were nice, all with pros and cons, but I Hated NCL.

From the staff at check in - they were rude and unwilling to even listen, let alone Help out!

Was on the Epic - an Epic Fail! Room was Tiny, beds were hard, ship was laid out terribly ( there was vomit and urine in the elevators by late night cuz of the lack of public restrooms)... Food was horrible, - at best. Service was slow, if at all! There were staff walking around with hand sanitizer - Barking "HANDS!" like a school nun, and then spraying sticky, stinky crap over your hands. The wifi was crazy expensive and slow or non-existant. They "nickel and dime" you over everything! They did have lots of bacon on the buffet! - and the food in the "paid" restaurants was acceptable, sometimes even Good! - and so was some of the entertainment! - but it was expensive and can quite easily double the cost of your cruise - even without alcohol! The highlight was a guest entertainer in the piano bar, He salvaged the trip entirely! .

Having been on Epic earlier this year, I disagree with everything here - but I especially have to dispute the portion highlighted above. I submit that if people are vomiting and urinating in elevators, it has absolutely nothing to do with a 'lack of public restrooms' and everything to do with being a disgusting human being. Also, I never had an issue finding a public restroom on Epic. Not once.

You are drinking for free since NCL is providing the liquor to you at no charge. To receive this perk, you pay the servers an 18% gratuity. Of course you do have the option to pay Carnival 49.95 per day for Cheers and an additional 7.50 per day for gratuity. So, would you like to pay 57.45 on Carnival or 14.22 on NCL?

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Actually prefer to pay about $12 for my 2 beers per cruise since I'm not an alcoholic. If you are required to pay the gratuities it is not free no matter what you claim. Sounds like those email phishing scams where you supposedly get something free by just paying a small amount up front. :rolleyes:

That marketing gimmick must be pretty popular since Celebrity, NCL, Princess and MSC all have it in one form or another. Only Carnival and RCI don't include it and you must purchase their drinks packages if you wish to imbibe with value. Please do a inside cabin comparison for me on comparable cruises on the Escape with the UBP perk versus the Vista with purchasing Cheers. Show me in black and white that Vista with paying for Cheers is cheaper, and I will believe your point. Until then, you're blowing smoke.

So HAL, Costa, Aida aren't major cruise lines anymore? More lines don't offer the supposed freebies than do. And I can understand why NCL offers the supposed freebies because they suck as a cruise line in so many other ways.