Wifi questions and CPAP questions

My husband and I are getting ready for first even B2B after 18 single cruises. Has anyone ever used one of the rental boxes that can allow up to five devices for immediate Wifi access or do you still have to purchase VOOM?

Any issues with set up for his CPAP machine ? Issues I see could be from needing extension cord and needing distilled water. I think that the water is filtered to the extreme and shouldn't have any particles in it, but wondering.

Thanks for any info on the above and any other help.

My husband and I are getting ready for first even B2B after 18 single cruises. Has anyone ever used one of the rental boxes that can allow up to five devices for immediate Wifi access or do you still have to purchase VOOM?

Any issues with set up for his CPAP machine ? Issues I see could be from needing extension cord and needing distilled water. I think that the water is filtered to the extreme and shouldn't have any particles in it, but wondering.

You can get distilled water through the special needs department? What ship are you sailing on? The newer ships have outlets by the bed, eliminating the need for an extension cord in most cases.

What is this "rental box" you are referring to?

Special needs will provide the cord and water with advance notice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You don't even have to give them advance notice....just pick up your phone once in your cabin and someone from housekeeping will bring a new gallon bottle of distilled water and a heavy duty extension cord...no problem. We've done this several times...DH tends to not want to bring his machine but at the last minute I prevail ;)

It worked very well on the Anthem & Navigator cruise, but I made arrangements with the pre-cruise dept. and distilled water and extension (not needed on Anthem) were in our cabin upon arrival. They also recommended that a note be placed in our file of our needs in future cruise which was nice of them. However, I do follow-up prior to a cruise.

There is a company that rents Wifi boxes through the internet for cruise ships and/or international travel. I don't know too much about it ther than in doing some research, they do come highly recommended. But I don't want to pay to rent one if I still have to purchase VOOM.

Thanks for all of the info regarding the CPAP.

There is a company that rents Wifi boxes through the internet for cruise ships and/or international travel. I don't know too much about it ther than in doing some research, they do come highly recommended. But I don't want to pay to rent one if I still have to purchase VOOM.

Thanks for all of the info regarding the CPAP.

If this rental WiFi box is what I think it is, it would only work within your stateroom, and it would be very slow because I believe it uses the cellular data via Cellular at Sea.

Oasis has an outlet behind the headboard, no need for an extension cord.

At least on Oasis the night stand is large enough for DH's CPAP to sit...not so with Harmony or Anthem...those tiny sliver's they call nightstands are so small....and especially when the cabin phone ends up being on his side of the bed too...just some small details that I hate about this class of ship's new Quantum decor.

If this rental WiFi box is what I think it is, it would only work within your stateroom, and it would be very slow because I believe it uses the cellular data via Cellular at Sea.

And if it is a cellular data hotspot, it might not even work if it's using Verizon's network. Verizon recently changed their international roaming so that they don't even allow data roaming on cruise ships any longer. (They probably ran into too many complaints from customers who ran up hundreds of dollars in international data roaming charges.)

There are devices which purport to take a Wi-Fi connection and let the user share it among several devices. This travel router supposedly offers that functionality ("Bridge Mode"). I've never used such a device, so I cannot comment on how well it works or even whether it works on a cruise ship.

Most of the water on board starts as distilled water . They normally use high pressure and steam to create drinking water that has nothing in it. CPAP water usually comes from the medical center in bottles produced and sealed on shore/

On Oasis, the outlet is behind the head of the left side of the bed, which is my side. It was no problem, hubby just ran the cord from his CPAP behind the bed.

On Anthem, he had to keep his machine on the floor. His CPAP is older and big. There may be some newer ones that fit on that tiny nightstand.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

On Oasis, the outlet is behind the head of the left side of the bed, which is my side. It was no problem, hubby just ran the cord from his CPAP behind the bed.

On Anthem, he had to keep his machine on the floor. His CPAP is older and big. There may be some newer ones that fit on that tiny nightstand.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

DH has an older large one too but we put it on there anyway (poor design RCI)....we opted to put the cabin phone on the floor...no one calls us anyway.

Many of the newer CPAPs don't fit well on the night table. There is a small that fits but my provider in Canada won't sell them because of the source countries quality.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are you talking about the manufacturer or the source of the distilled water. No problem with our Medicare provider. One of the things that my wife picked up in initially researching is that some folks either thru ignorance or laziness, do not clean their equipment and develop infections.

We contact Guest Services and they will have a gallon of distilled water in our cabin and an extension cord for the CPAP machine. My only question is can I pack the CPAP machine in his suitcase? Or should I carry it on? I don't want his suitcase getting flagged and we have to go get it in person on the ship.

We contact Guest Services and they will have a gallon of distilled water in our cabin and an extension cord for the CPAP machine. My only question is can I pack the CPAP machine in his suitcase? Or should I carry it on? I don't want his suitcase getting flagged and we have to go get it in person on the ship.

I've had mine in my checked luggage before with no issue.

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app