Wine in Checked Bags

Stella1250

Actually, good wine is pretty darn expensive on board HAL. For a bottle that I pay around $40 - $45 for, they charge around $125 - $150. I am going to bring 4 bottles and pay the $18 on each. That should do for all of our dinners.

Actually, good wine is pretty darn expensive on board HAL. For a bottle that I pay around $40 - $45 for, they charge around $125 - $150. I am going to bring 4 bottles and pay the $18 on each. That should do for all of our dinners.

That is the correct way of doing it. You will have very nice wine at a reasonable price.

I do not understand people who bring on a $9 bottle of wine and then pay $18 corkage fee for a bottle they could probably buy on board for approx $30 or $35.

To be fair that's not any different from any restaurant on land.

As a drinker of Scotch and full bodied reds I find myself not often willing to spend $50 at a restaurant for a double of what I drink at home for almost the price of the bottle. I think Scotch is probably a higher markup than red.

For a $40 Amarone a restaurant will charge $160 (4x)

For a $70 bottle of medium level scotch a restaurant will charge $15-20/ oz. (7x)

The other thing is this. I'm not going to gamble $150 to buy a bottle on a ship when I may not like the wine. We prefer to bring aboard wines we know we will like. We usually stop by our local wine store and discuss our plans for dinner and he recommends several wines that would work. He knows what we like and matches our likes to our dinner plans. He suggested six wines for our last cruise and the total cost was about $170. Worked great.

We stopped and bought an interesting assortment of wines at Publix in FLL before our cruise. Got a nice 4 bottle carrying bag free with every 4 bottles purchased. Carried them in, paid the corkage on all but two, and enjoyed the wines in the MDR and Pinnacle. Other than I think the Wine Steward was close to crying every time he came to the table to open our carried-on wine, it was a nice way to enjoy some nice wines at value-prices. And in all seriousness, from start to finish, the HAL staff, including the wine steward, was nothing but gracious about it. Might very well do it again next time.

We typically have a bottle of red wine and a bottle of white wine with dinner. (Unless the dishes call for two reds or two whites.) We also add a bottle of Champagne on formal nights (and possibly the first and last nights if we're feeling festive. That's a case plus 2 bottles per week. We have wine totes and wine boxes that we use to carry on our wine. If you have the right carriers, it's easy to schlep 6 bottles and still have a hand free for your roll aboard case. We factor in approximately $250 per week in corkage.

For us, it's worth it to have the wine we want. It's also fun to build our own wine list. (Actually, it's fun for me. The rest of our party doesn't complain though.) It really depends on what you want. We had the Elite Beverage Package on our last cruise, and while the wine wasn't as good as what we would have brought, it worked out fine. The wines by the glass are solidly in the good to very good range - as rated by actual professionals.

We stopped and bought an interesting assortment of wines at Publix in FLL before our cruise. Got a nice 4 bottle carrying bag free with every 4 bottles purchased. Carried them in, paid the corkage on all but two, and enjoyed the wines in the MDR and Pinnacle. Other than I think the Wine Steward was close to crying every time he came to the table to open our carried-on wine, it was a nice way to enjoy some nice wines at value-prices. And in all seriousness, from start to finish, the HAL staff, including the wine steward, was nothing but gracious about it. Might very well do it again next time.

Slip him a small gratuity, maybe a $10 for the whole week?

Does any of the corkage fee go into the pool for wine stewards?

My understanding is that the corkage fee is something in the $14/$15 and change range, and the 15% service charge brings it to the $18. The service charge portion goes into the Bar staff tipping pool, and is distributed by a formula the staff has agreed to (presumably in their contract).

I believe that we were charged a service charge on the corkage, just like on other bar charges. And the wine steward got to sell us a number of additional bottles on our 16 day cruise! :-)

There's no service charge on the corkage. Recheck your bill. Corkage is already a service charge. We have a wee bit of experience with corkage and have never see a service charge on it. The only observed anomaly is that the corkage does not seem to work out to exactly $18/bottle. It's a fraction of a cent less.

My understanding is that the corkage fee is something in the $14/$15 and change range, and the 15% service charge brings it to the $18. The service charge portion goes into the Bar staff tipping pool, and is distributed by a formula the staff has agreed to (presumably in their contract).

That's absolute genius Ruth! A base corkage of $15.65 + 15% works out to $17.9975. It explains the discrepancy. You'd only see it if you paid corkage on half a case or more.

There's no service charge on the corkage. Recheck your bill. Corkage is already a service charge. We have a wee bit of experience with corkage and have never see a service charge on it. The only observed anomaly is that the corkage does not seem to work out to exactly $18/bottle. It's a fraction of a cent less.

You are right. My mistake. I saw the odd number of cents and assume a multiplier had been applied to the $18, but it's just the $17.99714... price that they charge per bottle. :D

• 2 months later...
But aren't you disrespecting them by not following their rules?

But they're overhead, and you're profit. Just which should get the respect?

If they want respect, the rules should be very clear. The fact that we're on this message board trying to find out just what the rules are is a clear sign the customers are not getting the respect they deserve.

I'll always follow the rules if they're clearly laid out. I'm supposed to guess, then get dinged if I didn't guess right from all the opposing and contradictory information put on the boards? That's just playing gotcha, isn't it?

I have to add that after looking at lots of threads on the wine issue and tips, I can safely say that not a single issue has been definitively answered. I'm looking to these boards for answers. All I'm getting is contradictions. I'm weighing the black, white, red, green, and blue variety of answers and trying to figure out which one most people agree on.

Edited by IMNOFUN
more to say

But they're overhead, and you're profit. Just which should get the respect?

If they want respect, the rules should be very clear. The fact that we're on this message board trying to find out just what the rules are is a clear sign the customers are not getting the respect they deserve.

I'll always follow the rules if they're clearly laid out. I'm supposed to guess, then get dinged if I didn't guess right from all the opposing and contradictory information put on the boards? That's just playing gotcha, isn't it?

I have to add that after looking at lots of threads on the wine issue and tips, I can safely say that not a single issue has been definitively answered. I'm looking to these boards for answers. All I'm getting is contradictions. I'm weighing the black, white, red, green, and blue variety of answers and trying to figure out which one most people agree on.

The rules are very clear check out know before you go on the HAL site or the HAL FAQS on their website.

And, unless the rules have changed in the last few weeks, the alcohol policy is printed on the luggage tags including what is permitted and carrying on.

You have to be careful when reading threads as a few years ago you could check your wine (no corkage). The rules changed and so did the procedure.

The rules are pretty clear and easy to follow IMO.

The rules are very clear check out know before you go on the HAL site or the HAL FAQS on their website.

And, unless the rules have changed in the last few weeks, the alcohol policy is printed on the luggage tags including what is permitted and carrying on.

You have to be careful when reading threads as a few years ago you could check your wine (no corkage). The rules changed and so did the procedure.

The rules are pretty clear and easy to follow IMO.

As a technical writer, I have issues as to the clarity of the HAL FAQs. If I had written this documentation, my managing editor would have sent it back to me with notes similar to the following. From the HAL FAQS:

Each guest 21 years^ and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. (Clear)

This bottle will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. (Clear)

Additional wine or champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) in carry-on luggage are welcome, but will incur a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. (Clear)

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors and spirits onboard. (Clear)

(Now it gets murky)

Holland America Line reserves the right to remove all alcoholic beverages from any guest luggage (Unclear: is that carry-on or checked?) that violates this policy. (which policy? No beer/boxes or bottles in checked or carryon or hanging around the guest's neck?)

Any alcoholic beverage found (found where?) will be removed and returned on the last evening of the voyage. (Great EXCEPT)

Guests will not receive any monetary compensation for alcoholic beverages that were removed from luggage. (Unclear: So, are the bottles removed and kept or returned?)

Just saying, there are some iffy areas which are giving me heartburn. This is just one of the issues. Forgive me if you take it personally if I question the HAL policy clarity. If you are a guest, then why are you upset with me for trying to get to the bottom of some questions? If you are an employee, what the heck are you doing on this board?

As a technical writer, I have issues as to the clarity of the HAL FAQs. If I had written this documentation, my managing editor would have sent it back to me with notes similar to the following. From the HAL FAQS:

Each guest 21 years^ and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. (Clear)

This bottle will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. (Clear)

Additional wine or champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) in carry-on luggage are welcome, but will incur a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed.(Clear)

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors and spirits onboard. (Clear)

(Now it gets murky)

Holland America Line reserves the right to remove all alcoholic beverages from any guest luggage (Unclear: is that carry-on or checked?) that violates this policy. (which policy? No beer/boxes or bottles in checked or carryon or hanging around the guest's neck?)

Any alcoholic beverage found (found where?) will be removed and returned on the last evening of the voyage. (Great EXCEPT)

Guests will not receive any monetary compensation for alcoholic beverages that were removed from luggage. (Unclear: So, are the bottles removed and kept or returned?)

Just saying, there are some iffy areas which are giving me heartburn. This is just one of the issues. Forgive me if you take it personally if I question the HAL policy clarity. If you are a guest, then why are you upset with me for trying to get to the bottom of some questions? If you are an employee, what the heck are you doing on this board?

Greetings from another user of the "Chicago Manual of Style".

It appears that policies are written by lawyers and not technical writers. I would recommend:

"All alcoholic beverages, other than bottled wine, found in either carry-on, or checked luggage, will be confiscated and returned on the last evening of the cruise. Since confiscated items are returned, passengers will not be compensated for the temporary absence of their unauthorized alcoholic beverages."

Any alcoholic beverages purchased in the Shops will be delivered to your stateroom on the last evening of your cruise. With confiscated liquor, boxed wine, and Shops purchases available on the last evening, a nice veranda cocktail party is possible.