Disposal of Art on HAL Ships

USN59-79

One of the things that sets HAL ships apart is the collection of antiques and art throughout the ships. I received an e-mail from HAL today bragging about the art from the Statendam and Ryndam that was to be auctioned next week at Sotheby's, London. Not sure why they think this a good thing that should be advertised to their long time customers. I would hope that some of that art would be placed on their new builds, rather than disposed of. Anyone else feel the same? BTW, I went to the Sotheby site to see what they were selling and the only thing I saw that was obviously from HAL were a couple of Statendam photos.

Yes, I would have hoped that some of the art would be placed on the newbuilds.

Maybe others who sailed with me on the Statendam's final voyage will have memories more clear than mine. But, I do recall that somehow, maybe during a Q & A, we were told that removing, storing, and re-installing some of the special pieces of art would take place on the newbuilds. I do recall learning that the mermaids/fountain in the Atrium were "toast", however.

This was the same cruise in which I was told that the library books, which I SAW being boxed by the On Location Guide and the Librarian as we approached Singapore, would be off-loaded, stored, and transferred to the Amsterdam when she reached that Port during the Winter. Those books were then to be off-loaded to the Koningsdam when they met in Italy. Did not happen!

It is indeed sad that some of these beautiful pieces will not be moved to new HAL ships but there must be some that were saved by the line since there are less than 50 items up for the current auction listed as "PROPERTY REMOVED FROM MS STATENDAM AND MS RYNDAM OF THE RENOWNED HOLLAND AMERICA LINE". There are some lovely pieces though for sure. Anyone who wants to buy me Lot 258, the "LOUIS XIII CARVED EBONY, FRUITWOOD, ROSEWOOD, BONE AND EBONY INLAID CABINET, THIRD QUARTER 17TH CENTURY" feel free! HAHA. jk

Here is the link with the filter:

http://www.sothebys.com/en/search-results.html?keyword=holland+america+line

I also got that e-mail.

Remember that HAL didn't sell the ships -- Carnival Corporation transferred the Statendam and Ryndam to P&O.

I haven't looked at Sotheby's site to see what is available for auction. There are quite a few people who would be interested in getting some of the items.

Our favorite S class ship was the Ryndam. But I am not interested in buying anything as we now need to down size. Having enough problems selling thousands of collectibles from all our journeys.

New passengers on the newer ships would find many items not worth collecting as they never sailed on those ships thus they wouldn't be looking at them.

Perhaps HAL is now going to buy their art from the very high class, Park West Galleries. After all, if they consider that stuff good enough for their cruisers it must be good enough for HAL! Right!

Hank

It is indeed sad that some of these beautiful pieces will not be moved to new HAL ships but there must be some that were saved by the line since there are less than 50 items up for the current auction listed as "PROPERTY REMOVED FROM MS STATENDAM AND MS RYNDAM OF THE RENOWNED HOLLAND AMERICA LINE". There are some lovely pieces though for sure. Anyone who wants to buy me Lot 258, the "LOUIS XIII CARVED EBONY, FRUITWOOD, ROSEWOOD, BONE AND EBONY INLAID CABINET, THIRD QUARTER 17TH CENTURY" feel free! HAHA. jk

Here is the link with the filter:

http://www.sothebys.com/en/search-results.html?keyword=holland+america+line

Thank you so much for this link - lots of memories there. Would you be interested in starting an entire new thread devoted to this HAL auction? I think others would also really enjoying learning about it. Plus it will be very interesting to learn what the final prices turn out to be.

Yes, I would have hoped that some of the art would be placed on the newbuilds.

Maybe others who sailed with me on the Statendam's final voyage will have memories more clear than mine. But, I do recall that somehow, maybe during a Q & A, we were told that removing, storing, and re-installing some of the special pieces of art would take place on the newbuilds. I do recall learning that the mermaids/fountain in the Atrium were "toast", however.

This was the same cruise in which I was told that the library books, which I SAW being boxed by the On Location Guide and the Librarian as we approached Singapore, would be off-loaded, stored, and transferred to the Amsterdam when she reached that Port during the Winter. Those books were then to be off-loaded to the Koningsdam when they met in Italy. Did not happen!

Your memories are indeed accurate.

Barbara

OMG! Three of Ryndam's ship models (one of them could have been Statendam's, I forget) which I have spent literally HOURS admiring! Wish I could afford any one of them. So sad that they're not being retained by HAL, to be used on a new build. But I guess the decor of the new builds doesn't lend itself to the nautical motif of Ryndam. More's the pity.

It would be so nice if the ms Statendam art treasures could go into the ms Nieuw Statendam.

Barbara

That's not the direction HAL seems to be going. On the K'dam I saw no antiques and just modern art. :loudcry:

That's not the direction HAL seems to be going. On the K'dam I saw no antiques and just modern art. :loudcry:

There are a few pieces of art from Statendam on Kdam actually. Every time a ship goes out of fleet its art is taken and put where it can be used on ships. It makes no sense to reuse everything as art has to fit somewhat of a theme and you need new things, you can't just reuse and reuse. It's not a floating flea market. :)

Perhaps HAL is now going to buy their art from the very high class, Park West Galleries. After all, if they consider that stuff good enough for their cruisers it must be good enough for HAL! Right!

Hank

What's the typing equivalent of "bite your tongue"??? I can avert my eyes as I walk past one lounge, but how can I get around the ship if I'm constantly having to cover my eyes????? :eek:

Not art, and hardly likely to show up at a posh auction, but what about all those maiden call plaques? What happens to them when a ship is transferred (or scrapped)? Some of them are beautiful, and I always enjoy looking at them, often hidden in a lower stairway. I forget which ship it was on, but there was one from Bermuda that I really coveted.

Y'know, I'm kinda glad that I'm old. Only 7 of the real "ocean liners" (R class, S class and the Pdam) left now and some of them appear to be currently offered for sale. Perhaps there will still be a couple left by the time I need to quit cruising. If I wanted to sail on a glitzy, garish hotel/mall I'd be on Carnival or Norwegian or something like that.

OK, I'm outta here. Will be boarding Zaandam in about six hours or so. Seeya.

Y'know, I'm kinda glad that I'm old. Only 7 of the real "ocean liners" (R class, S class and the Pdam) left now and some of them appear to be currently offered for sale. Perhaps there will still be a couple left by the time I need to quit cruising. If I wanted to sail on a glitzy, garish hotel/mall I'd be on Carnival or Norwegian or something like that.

I know exactly how you feel, as I feel the same way. I'm glad I did as much cruising as I did over all these years, as I wouldn't be doing it if I were just starting out.

Takes a little of the sting of that getting old and feeble, doesn't it. ;)

Not art, and hardly likely to show up at a posh auction, but what about all those maiden call plaques? What happens to them when a ship is transferred (or scrapped)? Some of them are beautiful, and I always enjoy looking at them, often hidden in a lower stairway. I forget which ship it was on, but there was one from Bermuda that I really coveted.

On Statendam final cruise they were auctioned to interested passengers. Bought one that now hangs in an office at HAL headquarters and one in grandson's bedroom - fun to have them!

Lucky you - loved that ship. Have a great cruise.

On Statendam final cruise they were auctioned to interested passengers. Bought one that now hangs in an office at HAL headquarters and one in grandson's bedroom - fun to have them!

Hello, cruisin'teach. :)

Jack was thrilled to buy the plaque for Port Angeles, WA - our home. He treasures it.

I just wish that HAL treasured the history that they should be honoring.

Barbara

That's interesting! What was the going rate for a plaque, if I may ask?

Ironic that you are leaving soon on a ship, like the Volendam, that was the beginning of the reduction of antiques. I will never forget doing an art tour on the Volendam and the guide referring to many things as "Echo-Deco" , which was styrofoam underneath.

The Zaandam is great ship and I really like the size. Bon Voyage!

That's interesting! What was the going rate for a plaque, if I may ask?

Prices ranged all over the place from inexpensive for lesser known ports to the more well known ones with elaborate plaques.

Like Barbara, I placed a bid (this was a silent auction type of sale) late, just a couple of minutes before the auction closed, and still did not get the plaque!