Still another formal night question

marcc

Traveling light is no excuse not to have acceptable or preferable gala attire.

Traveling light is no excuse not to have the minimum gala night attire required by the cruise line. Traveling light is a very legitimate explanation for other people not wearing gala attire that you would prefer people wear.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

It's not the dressing up. I don't dress up, but I've got sufficient wardrobe to pass. I just don't like crowds. I know. Why am I on a cruise? That was my husband's call for this vaca. I'm just along for the ride.

I forgot that Gala Night has special dining options. I wouldn't miss the party atmosphere, but I am paying for the better food. Guess we'll have to attend to get our steak and lobster (or whatever). Maybe I can get it to go or as room service. :D

It is not a party atmosphere. Just a time to dress up. No party hats, no balloons, no music, no dancing waiters. It now runs about 10-30% who still wear tux and gown on Gala Night depending on the cruise, the ship and the time of the dining - probably more at late (8pm) fixed seating. Though generally most do follow the HAL Gala Night guidelines, and step things up a bit, without going full formal. It is quite lovely to look around the room and see the extra sparkle that night.

Even a lovely, colorful shawl with dark top pants, skirt or dress along with some of the fun junk jewelry one can find at the $10 racks in the ships shop may be all one wants that night.

The food is different but not necessarily "better" than some of the very nice dinner options offered on regular nights. They typically offer filet, lobster or jumbo shrimp depending on the Gala night, and a few other unique menu items like the mushroom risotto, rack of lamb or veal chop. I am pretty sure these same items are also available at the Lido buffet that night too. Or you as you suggested, you can have them sent to your cabin if you order them during the dinner hours.

It's not the dressing up. I don't dress up, but I've got sufficient wardrobe to pass. I just don't like crowds. I know. Why am I on a cruise? That was my husband's call for this vaca. I'm just along for the ride.

I forgot that Gala Night has special dining options. I wouldn't miss the party atmosphere, but I am paying for the better food. Guess we'll have to attend to get our steak and lobster (or whatever). Maybe I can get it to go or as room service. :D

The steak and lobster were also served in the Lido on our March 17 cruise on Oosterdam.

We travel with only carry on luggage and there is always room for my gala dresses and my husband rents a tux so that we don't have to waste room on a jacket and dress shoes. Traveling light is no excuse not to have acceptable or preferable gala attire.

No one needs an excuse not to bring "acceptable or preferable gala attire".

We don't want too is sufficient.

What ever one chooses, one must still follow the dress code.

The dress code contributes to the ambience. Why would a cruise line bother with expensive floral arrangements, grand entrances, architectural details colour schemes . . . Just arrange some picnic tables, plastic cutlery and paper napkins and as long as the food is the same what does it matter.

The dress code contributes to the ambience. Why would a cruise line bother with expensive floral arrangements, grand entrances, architectural details colour schemes . . . Just arrange some picnic tables, plastic cutlery and paper napkins and as long as the food is the same what does it matter.

The "dress code" is basically smart casual/country club casual if one follows the letter of the HAL's wording. You don't really have to dress up to the 9's to meet the criteria.

Sure some of us like to dress up and still do, (and, for the record, we are one of them), but as long as someone is wearing what is required it's no big deal. For those that choose to dress in an alternate fashion, there are alternates. No one is hurting anyone ;)

Many of the more expensive cruise lines have the same dress code - no need for formal clothes and have the elegant displays.

Nice plates, floral arrangements, etc. Are there every night whether it's Gala nor not.

The day a cruise line brings out plastic cutlery, paper napkins, etc. Is the day I stay home. I don't even use plastic cutlery on my back deck ;)

We travel light. We make NO excuse for it.

Not certain why so many people think that others have to make excuses for not wearing what others feel is appropriate.

If we are dressed to code we may go in the MDR, maybe not.

But really, the entrances may be grand, there may be architectural details and color schemed, inexpensive flowers, wonderful place settings but this really does not hide the fact that the meal is not only mediocre at best on gala nights but that it has gone done hill steadily over the past few years.

You can only put lipstick on that pig so many times.

I am curious how you achieve what I have bolded above. Specifically how does one go about " looking down on fellow passengers"( as this is the second time in this thread you have mentioned this) who may not meet your ( or HAl's) criteria for dress on a Gala night or non Gala night? Do you say something to them to shame them? Do you call over the DR manager and say something to him? Do you request to sit at another table? I am serious. If this is so upsetting to you, I would be interested in hearing your solution on board the ship.

There have been posters on Cruise Critic who have reported doing exactly those things.

There have been posters on Cruise Critic who have reported doing exactly those things.

Good for them. They retain the right to do this, just as much as others retain the right to flaunt the dress guidelines. Freedom, ain't it grand.

We are not a couple of busy bodies and we very much tend to mind our own business.

From our perspective, IF the maitre d' allows someone into the MDR the issue is resolved.

HAL management is responsible for this. Not our business.

We would never be such complete boors as to complain about some else's attire in the MDR.

When we dine in the Mdr , we just like to have tablemates who like to engage in a great conversation. I love hearing From other people and issues. I do not pay any attention to what people wear. If you feel comfortable with what you are wearing ,that is fine by me and please respect my choice of clothing. All i ask of my table mates is a good conversation. I'm on the cruise to be happy and enjoy the experience, NOT to be dress code enforcer.

When we dine in the Mdr , we just like to have tablemates who like to engage in a great conversation. I love hearing From other people and issues. I do not pay any attention to what people wear. If you feel comfortable with what you are wearing ,that is fine by me and please respect my choice of clothing. All i ask of my table mates is a good conversation. I'm on the cruise to be happy and enjoy the experience, NOT to be dress code enforcer.

It is not your job to be a dress code enforcer. That belongs to HAL. Who was asking you to take on that task? Same way with extra-curricular smokers - turn the task over to HAL, if there are violations you think need to be remedied. Ooops, did I just turn this into a smoking thread. Not my intent - just trying to think of other areas where HAL management imposes their expectations on us we know it upfront.

But you get the idea. Guidelines and restrictions and their enforcement are the province of management. Passenger reactions to them appear to go both ways. However there seems to be a lot of unwitting virtue-signaling going on right now, that is only worthy of note.

Good for them. They retain the right to do this, just as much as others retain the right to flaunt the dress guidelines. Freedom, ain't it grand.

Seriously?? Someone has the right to give "the look" and look down on someone else?

I guess freedom is grand but personally I prefer to enjoy my cruise and unless someone is flagrantly ignoring the dress code, I don't really notice.

remember, it is smart casual,really. As long as people are dressed accordingly, who are we to look down on them.

If you and I choose to dress up, fine. But it doesn't mean that we should hold the candle to that standard.

HAL's dress code is clear and as long as people adhere to it, no one should judge. JMHO

Seriously?? Someone has the right to give "the look" and look down on someone else?

I guess freedom is grand but personally I prefer to enjoy my cruise and unless someone is flagrantly ignoring the dress code, I don't really notice.

remember, it is smart casual,really. As long as people are dressed accordingly, who are we to look down on them.

If you and I choose to dress up, fine. But it doesn't mean that we should hold the candle to that standard.

HAL's dress code is clear and as long as people adhere to it, no one should judge. JMHO

You are missing the sly point. But it is not worth explaining.

It is not your job to be a dress code enforcer. That belongs to HAL. Who was asking you to take on that task? Same way with extra-curricular smokers - turn the task over to HAL, if there are violations you think need to be remedied. Ooops, did I just turn this into a smoking thread. Not my intent - just trying to think of other areas where HAL management imposes their expectations on us we know it upfront.

Not sure how to take this response - unless I'm missing something, it seems like you're slamming them for stating what you just said.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But really, the entrances may be grand, there may be architectural details and color schemed, inexpensive flowers, wonderful place settings but this really does not hide the fact that the meal is not only mediocre at best on gala nights but that it has gone done hill steadily over the past few years.

You can only put lipstick on that pig so many times.

Anything else positive to say about the Gala MDR dining experience on HAL? :rolleyes:

Sheesh!

Sheesh!
I don't think we should doubt that the experience has declined. It was supposed to. Newer ships were built and older ships were refit with deliberate intention in acknowledgement that greater profitability in the mass market comes from offering a lower base price and upcharge options than from a more all-inclusive experience. Ten years ago our fare was over $2300 including tax and fees for a 7 day Caribbean cruise. Today, the best fare for the comparable room and comparable time of year is $2318 plus tax and fees - so only moderately more expensive - still about a $300 reduction in cost accounting for inflation. It makes sense that included services will reflect that reduction.

Anything else positive to say about the Gala MDR dining experience on HAL? :rolleyes:

Sheesh!

Any one who thinks the MDR dining experience on any of the mainstream cruise lines is something to get excited about needs to get out more.

Good points - a minor, but significant, aspect of cruising is the unique social situation involved: assigned dining creates a group of people with whom to meet nightly to share experiences and ideas. Perhaps we have been lucky in table mates - only rarely wanting to seek re-assignment.

Of course, the introduction of open dining has reduced the likelihood of being seated with people who do not want to contribute to conversation - making them happier as well.

Originally posted by cruisetheworld67 I am curious how you achieve what I have bolded above. Specifically how does one go about " looking down on fellow passengers"( as this is the second time in this thread you have mentioned this) who may not meet your ( or HAl's) criteria for dress on a Gala night or non Gala night? Do you say something to them to shame them? Do you call over the DR manager and say something to him? Do you request to sit at another table? I am serious. If this is so upsetting to you, I would be interested in hearing your solution on board the ship.

That is the point - you are free to do whatever you want in the same spirt of those who choose to dress how ever they want. Enjoy the creative expression - everyone in the pool! Emmanuel Kant can explain this better than I.

Do you really condone attempts to shame other passengers because of their attire?

Any one who thinks the MDR dining experience on any of the mainstream cruise lines is something to get excited about needs to get out more.

Actually I was responding to iancal's specific comment "this really does not hide the fact that the meal is not only mediocre at best on gala nights", which in our opinion is pure hyperbole at its finest.

While the food on Gala night in the MDR may not be 5-star gourmet caliber, we would argue that it is certainly not 'mediocre at best' either.

And just for the record, we 'get out' quite a bit! ;) :)

Actually I was responding to iancal's specific comment "this really does not hide the fact that the meal is not only mediocre at best on gala nights", which in our opinion is pure hyperbole at its finest.

While the food on Gala night in the MDR may not be 5-star gourmet caliber, we would argue that it is certainly not 'mediocre at best' either.

And just for the record, we 'get out' quite a bit! ;) :)

Give it up.

There are those of us who agree that mass-produced meals in the MDR are mediocre. There are those of us who agree that it is wonderful. There are those of us who agree that the food is gourmet.

And, just for the record, "getting out quite a bit" doesn't determine knowledge about food quality. Someone may get out quite a bit, but they get out to the local Long John Silvers ;)

For the whole dress suggestion thing: I believe RCCL has a small dining venue on the new large ships where a "dressed to the nines" code is enforced. It is meant to evoke the memory of old-time crusing. Those restrictions allow the minority who want to bring the tux and gown the opportunity to dine among others dressed similarly without having to look at people who are dressed to the "rest of the ship" code...

As for "the look": Yes, I have seen "the look" when I wore a simple LBTD with flats (I can't wear heels anyway with an ankle that doesn't flex). It was within the dress code for the night, but some old types could not resist with the "tsk tsk" looks because I was not in a prom dress/MOB dress/palazzo pants and sparkly top... It didn't bother me, but it made me snicker to myself that some people were so bigoted. I think HAL should change that gala sentence to be "evoke the memory of cruising in years gone by" - that is what it is.

Give it up.

Is that a suggestion or an order? :rolleyes:

There are those of us who agree that mass-produced meals in the MDR are mediocre. There are those of us who agree that it is wonderful. There are those of us who agree that the food is gourmet.

If by all that you mean that dining / food quality opinions are highly subjective, I would definitely agree. ;)

And, just for the record, "getting out quite a bit" doesn't determine knowledge about food quality. Someone may get out quite a bit, but they get out to the local Long John Silvers ;)

You should be telling that to RocketMan, as he's the one who mentioned it to begin with. ;) And BTW, what is 'Long John Silvers'? :confused:

For the whole dress suggestion thing: I believe RCCL has a small dining venue on the new large ships where a "dressed to the nines" code is enforced. It is meant to evoke the memory of old-time crusing. Those restrictions allow the minority who want to bring the tux and gown the opportunity to dine among others dressed similarly without having to look at people who are dressed to the "rest of the ship" code...

As for "the look": Yes, I have seen "the look" when I wore a simple LBTD with flats (I can't wear heels anyway with an ankle that doesn't flex). It was within the dress code for the night, but some old types could not resist with the "tsk tsk" looks because I was not in a prom dress/MOB dress/palazzo pants and sparkly top... It didn't bother me, but it made me snicker to myself that some people were so bigoted. I think HAL should change that gala sentence to be "evoke the memory of cruising in years gone by" - that is what it is.

Okay..:confused:

Is that a suggestion or an order?

A suggestion. I'm not the one around who gives orders :rolleyes:

If by all that you mean that dining / food quality opinions are highly subjective, I would definitely agree. ;)

You should be telling that to RocketMan, as he's the one who mentioned it to begin with. ;) And BTW, what is 'Long John Silvers'? :confused:

I think someone other than RocketMan said she (or he) "gets out" - RocketMan made the suggestion to get out. Long John Silvers is a very cheap chain "seafood" restaurant - you can get your cod & fries for about $3. I see the commercial on TV all the time. Don't have one anywhere near my town, though.

Okay..:confused:

:rolleyes:

Are there any matters more subjective than good food and the proper response to suggested attire provisions in the dress code that we could be second-guessing instead?

I sure do hope there isn't anyone who really is trying to equate the MDR with Long John Silver's and I sure do hope there isn't anyone who really is trying to equate not wearing the suggested attire that they would wear with not wearing the minimum attire that the cruise line explicitly requires.