New Room Service Menu

tinsoldier

It's a relief to know that, if in future I have a desperate craving for chicken tikka masala at 3 am, I'll be able to satisfy it. :)

:). :). :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Seems to be that P&O are just following what other lines are starting to implement with regard to charges for room service. RCI have recently implemented a charge for all times of the day (they did already charge for room service in the early hours) which has people up in arms.

I got the email too, but I doubt it will impact us even though we're not sailing with P&O until 2018.

I don't care that they are implementing this even though I've already booked. Why? Because I don't believe we've used room service for anything other than breakfast on very few occasions in 13 years of cruising. Maybe one cheese plate, but I could have easily gone to the buffet to make up a plate myself.

Now RCI are offering only a continental breakfast for no fee, not sure what P&O mean by (plus an additional hot breakfast option*) though.

I imagine that one effect of this change will be a major increase in the sights of people carrying huge plates of food from the buffet and trying to balance these whilst using the lifts or stairs.

Expect to see far more carpet stains in future, and I wonder whether the added charges will cover the extra cleaning staff needed, never mind the more frequent carpet changes.:cool:

Seems to be that P&O are just following what other lines are starting to implement with regard to charges for room service. RCI have recently implemented a charge for all times of the day (they did already charge for room service in the early hours) which has people up in arms.

I got the email too, but I doubt it will impact us even though we're not sailing with P&O until 2018.

I don't care that they are implementing this even though I've already booked. Why? Because I don't believe we've used room service for anything other than breakfast on very few occasions in 13 years of cruising. Maybe one cheese plate, but I could have easily gone to the buffet to make up a plate myself.

Now RCI are offering only a continental breakfast for no fee, not sure what P&O mean by (plus an additional hot breakfast option*) though.

It's a Warm Panini with bacon and sausage.

It's a Warm Panini with bacon and sausage.

But we need the full English delivered, like Cunard do. Lubbly Jubbly.

We rarely do cabin service food, but brekkie delivered is handy if one has an early shorex.

I personally welcome the change. We hardly ever use room service as we find the current choice to be unappealing. The new menu looks significantly better. I would prefer to see a full cooked breakfast option (even if it was chargeable) but a warm breakfast panini is at least something (and it's free). Yes, the main meals are all chargeable, but most of the choices were not available before. I see it as a little bit like Select Dining restaurants, where I would rather pay a modest fee for something far better than getting something mediocre for nothing. But I completely understand the frustration of those who regularly enjoy the (albeit limited) selection that is currently available free of charge and now feel a bit cheated. I have been following blogs elsewhere of people who have done the latest World cruises on Aurora and Arcadia and they seemed to use room service for balcony dining almost every day, so that will now add up to a tidy sum of additional spend. For us, we will probably now go from never using it to using it very occasionally if we fancy something on our balcony. The cream tea at £3 a head is very tempting! As luck would have it, we are going on the very first cruise that will have the new Room Service menu (Aurora to the Baltic, leaving a week today), so if we use the service I shall be sure to provide feedback in my cruise review.

I do not usually call people moaners and I do not see people as that.

But if I see a different side I reserve the right to say so. I try to stick to facts and avoid opinion.

No Dai you may not but many posters on here do, as you will be aware. There is nothing wrong with different points of view but there is seldom a thread on here where the "moaner" tag is not used for something someone says and it does not forward the debate.

I imagine that one effect of this change will be a major increase in the sights of people carrying huge plates of food from the buffet and trying to balance these whilst using the lifts or stairs.

Expect to see far more carpet stains in future, and I wonder whether the added charges will cover the extra cleaning staff needed, never mind the more frequent carpet changes.:cool:

I agree about the stains. As I said on another thread there is the potential for more liquid spills and subsequent slips, potential scalds etc if people do that and more work for the cabin staff.

I may not be happy about the new charges but I will still use the service rather than cart food around a ship.

I personally welcome the change. We hardly ever use room service as we find the current choice to be unappealing. The new menu looks significantly better. I would prefer to see a full cooked breakfast option (even if it was chargeable) but a warm breakfast panini is at least something (and it's free). Yes, the main meals are all chargeable, but most of the choices were not available before. I see it as a little bit like Select Dining restaurants, where I would rather pay a modest fee for something far better than getting something mediocre for nothing. But I completely understand the frustration of those who regularly enjoy the (albeit limited) selection that is currently available free of charge and now feel a bit cheated. I have been following blogs elsewhere of people who have done the latest World cruises on Aurora and Arcadia and they seemed to use room service for balcony dining almost every day, so that will now add up to a tidy sum of additional spend. For us, we will probably now go from never using it to using it very occasionally if we fancy something on our balcony. The cream tea at £3 a head is very tempting! As luck would have it, we are going on the very first cruise that will have the new Room Service menu (Aurora to the Baltic, leaving a week today), so if we use the service I shall be sure to provide feedback in my cruise review.

Good morning :)

We are also on the Aurora Baltic trip next Saturday, we haven't been on Aurora in a long while and rarely use room service but we were planning on using it for munchies after the ballet in St Petersburg, out of interest do you know if there is a late night buffet on Aurora ? can't seem to find anywhere that tells me.

Hope the weather is as glorious next Saturday as it is today ! :)

Happy packing!

Good morning :)

We are also on the Aurora Baltic trip next Saturday, we haven't been on Aurora in a long while and rarely use room service but we were planning on using it for munchies after the ballet in St Petersburg, out of interest do you know if there is a late night buffet on Aurora ? can't seem to find anywhere that tells me.

Hope the weather is as glorious next Saturday as it is today ! :)

Happy packing!

Greetings! Although this will be our 10th P&O cruise it is actually our first on Aurora, so I'm not sure I'm afraid. The website only shows dinner in the buffet until 9pm, but I'd be staggered if it wasn't open until midnight at least, if not later. If all else fails, you can be amongst the first to experience the new improved 'through the night' room service menu! Enjoy the cruise. Great itinerary!

By the amount of food ordered then wasted when left on trays in the corridors perhaps a good thing that prices are being introduced it will possibly stop ordering food that you do not really want just because it is free.

Greetings! Although this will be our 10th P&O cruise it is actually our first on Aurora, so I'm not sure I'm afraid. The website only shows dinner in the buffet until 9pm, but I'd be staggered if it wasn't open until midnight at least, if not later. If all else fails, you can be amongst the first to experience the new improved 'through the night' room service menu! Enjoy the cruise. Great itinerary!

Most P&O ships have food available in the self-serve buffet restaurant all night, so yes, it will be available on Aurora.

We have quite often used Room Service for lunch and ate on our balcony. I would rather have the choice of the new menu and have to pay for most items than have the old menu where we didn't have to pay - although we often had the Chicken and Bacon Baguette for which there was a charge. The new menu has several items on it which would be attractive to us. Of course no one has to use Room Service if they don't wish to and all items for breakfast, apart from the panini, are not chargeable. Changes happen. If P&O couldn't charge people if they had booked before the new menu came in they would have a right time sorting that out. We booked a cruise for January next year over a year ago, and we also have a cruise booked for September next year. There is no way I would not expect to pay for the chargeable items on those cruises, to me that seems ridiculous. I would be very cross if P&O increased the price of the cruise after I had booked and I was expected to pay the extra but that doesn't happen. What if the prices of good in the shops increased, after we had booked, would we expect not to have to pay the increased price?

We have quite often used Room Service for lunch and ate on our balcony. I would rather have the choice of the new menu and have to pay for most items than have the old menu where we didn't have to pay - although we often had the Chicken and Bacon Baguette for which there was a charge. The new menu has several items on it which would be attractive to us. Of course no one has to use Room Service if they don't wish to and all items for breakfast, apart from the panini, are not chargeable. Changes happen. If P&O couldn't charge people if they had booked before the new menu came in they would have a right time sorting that out. We booked a cruise for January next year over a year ago, and we also have a cruise booked for September next year. There is no way I would not expect to pay for the chargeable items on those cruises, to me that seems ridiculous. I would be very cross if P&O increased the price of the cruise after I had booked and I was expected to pay the extra but that doesn't happen. What if the prices of good in the shops increased, after we had booked, would we expect not to have to pay the increased price?

I agree with you.

We don't really use room service, having only ever asked for the cheese or the pizzas, but I do feel for all those passengers who like using room service on a regular basis and will not be happy about the charges.

I also agree with a previous poster who pointed out that P&O should have put this in their new brochures. They will have known they were going to change the service ages ago and they really should have put this change into them.

Most P&O ships have food available in the self-serve buffet restaurant all night, so yes, it will be available on Aurora.
Hi,we were on the Aurora in jan and the buffet shut at 9.We thought that was a joke,cheers,Brian.

Hi,we were on the Aurora in jan and the buffet shut at 9.We thought that was a joke,cheers,Brian.

It's only referring to dinner, which does finish at 9pm.

In the 'Horizon' on board paper that I have from Aurora last Christmas it says that late night snacks are available between 10:30pm and 2am. It opens for again for continental breakfast at 6:30am.

In the 'Horizon' on board paper that I have from Aurora last Christmas it says that late night snacks are available between 10:30pm and 2am. It opens for again for continental breakfast at 6:30am.

Watch this space I will post a comment after our cruise ! :) have also discovered 'Late night snacks' may be available in the Glass House !?

Watch this space I will post a comment after our cruise ! :) have also discovered 'Late night snacks' may be available in the Glass House !?

This has been the case for many years, so unless P&O have suddenly decided to change things, I think that is what you will find.

The Glass House opens at 11am and closes at 11pm. That has also been the case since the original opened on Azura in 2010.

Hi,I didnt know that,we eat late and cut it a bit fine the first time.We were probably in bed when they reopened hour and a half later lol,cheers,Brian.