State Department issues travel alert for Europe

MixerDave

On another board (photography related, not that it matters) there was a link posted to a Travel Risk assessment for the countries of the world. I'll try to post the link below, but in brief, both the U.S. and most of Europe are shown as Moderate Risk, Canada is lower, Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Finland, and New Zealand are the places to go if you want to feel safe, and by all means avoid Sudan, South Sudan, Somalia, etc.

http://images.comms.aon.com/Web/AON/%7B7b5853cc-35ba-4f85-a85b-3bced098e508%7D_Aon_-_Mapa_riesgo_terrorismo_2017.pdf

Thanks for the link. For those fearful of traveling abroad, please note that the US is in the same risk category as much of Europe.

Was orignarly on X Med cruise scheduled to be in Monte Carlo, then realized would be there during the Monaco Gran Prix, with large crowds. Canne film festival also going on during that time. Changed to another cruise, still stopping in Monte Carlo but nothing special going on. Just be sensible.

On another board (photography related, not that it matters) there was a link posted to a Travel Risk assessment for the countries of the world. I'll try to post the link below, but in brief, both the U.S. and most of Europe are shown as Moderate Risk, Canada is lower, Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Finland, and New Zealand are the places to go if you want to feel safe, and by all means avoid Sudan, South Sudan, Somalia, etc.

http://images.comms.aon.com/Web/AON/%7B7b5853cc-35ba-4f85-a85b-3bced098e508%7D_Aon_-_Mapa_riesgo_terrorismo_2017.pdf

Just bear in mind that this map reflects only the risk from terrorism and political violence. Jamaica is shown in green (Negligible Risk), but I certainly wouldn't consider it one of the places to go "if you want to feel safe".

40,000 deaths last year in US road accidents (1.3 million world wide). So going ANYWHERE in an automobile is a risk that we don't even think about yet we read a "travel ADVISORY" from the government and we change all our plans???? Living in and of itself is a risk and nothing is risk free. Those poor souls in the World Trade Center were just sitting at their desks. All we can do is live the lives that we were granted and enjoy ourselves as much as we can!

Nope, no plans are changing........I have a cruise booked for August sailing from Barcelona to Rome:D...still going and

plan on having a wonderful time:)

Seriously ? That's mad ..... OMG I LIVE IN EUROPE AND I AM DOING A BALTIC CRUISE IN AUGUST ?!! What am I going to do???? ........

Well absolutely nothing ...... us Europeans have been used to living with terrorism for centuries .... life goes on , stay vigilant , go on vacation !!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just bear in mind that this map reflects only the risk from terrorism and political violence. Jamaica is shown in green (Negligible Risk), but I certainly wouldn't consider it one of the places to go "if you want to feel safe".

I've been to Jamaica 17 times, mostly land trips with just two cruise stops, and I have never once felt unsafe. One of my favorite places!

No, not canceling plans to cruise in Europe this summer, either; never gave it a second thought.

I've been to Jamaica 17 times, mostly land trips with just two cruise stops, and I have never once felt unsafe. One of my favorite places!

No, not canceling plans to cruise in Europe this summer, either; never gave it a second thought.

To each his own, but both the US and Canadian governments warn about pervasive criminal violence in Jamaica:

"Violent crime is a serious problem throughout Jamaica" (USA)

"exercise a high degree of caution due to the high level of violent crime" (CDA)

Just to give a sense of scale: in the UK last week, one armed burglary, in which one man was shot dead. featured on the national news bulletins virtually every day of the week. Such is the scale of gun crime in the UK.

Totally confused about the fear of travel, whether it be Europe, or Jamaica, or the Middle East or Asia.

Why travel then?

We love to travel. I expect that most of us on cc love to travel more than most people.

I think it is wise to do your research regarding places to visit. There are more risks in some places than others.

At one extreme end of the spectrum is Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, Syria, Yemen and several sub-Saharan African countries. At the other end are countries with a low risk, like Japan, China, New Zealand, and probably Canada and Alaska. Australia and some European countries would be lower risk, I would say Switzerland.

Several Caribbean and Central American countries have very high crime rates, like Jamaica, Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala, due to virtual takeover by drug cartels. Also, so same person would tour in Venezuela.

I saw an article about crime in the USA and it showed that murders in the USA are largely confined to about 2 percent of its area. These are places that tourists don't visit.

Terror attacks can happen, like lightening can strike. During a thunderstorm you don't stand out in the open on a hill, even under a tree. I would love to take my DW to Egypt. I have been there twice and love it, but I think the risks are higher, since the terrorists are targeting tourists. Still, I know people that just returned from there and had a great trip. Lightening did not strike.

Totally confused about the fear of travel, whether it be Europe, or Jamaica, or the Middle East or Asia.

Why travel then?

A sensible traveller should have a healthy respect for safety and security issues and exercise an appropriate degree of caution when necessary. Don't confuse that with fear of travel.

A sensible traveller should have a healthy respect for safety and security issues and exercise an appropriate degree of caution when necessary. Don't confuse that with fear of travel.

If you cancel travel (the focus of this thread) it is fear, not caution.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

if one follows the logic of the fearmongerers one would be wary of travel to USA. Look at fort lauderdale for example.

Nowhere is safe but I feel safer in UK (than USA) where guns arent as prolific . Still happy to go to USA though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for sharing that link~

Looks where we are visiting on our Med cruise (Italy and Spain, for example) have less of a risk than here at home!

Cancel???/ No way, I've been waiting for my Baltic, Norway B2B for over a year and even though I've been to Russia I can't wait to get back to St. Petersburg!! We lived in London during the "troubles" and were evacuated from the underground because of a bomb scare (none found) now we live in NY metropolitan area and survived 9/11...only change to my daily life is that I won't take a subway.....I also avoid places like Times Square on NYE; Mardi Gras in NOLA and I do NOT like being underground but that's just ME. But I'm not staying home too much to see and do. When it's time it's time whether I'm in a bar in Barcelona; shopping in Paris, a restaurant in Budapest or at home in bed.

Hi all,

I have been reading this thread with interest and having lived in Belfast for the last forty odd years during 'the troubles' terrorisim was almost a daily occurrence one just lived with it. Like the respondents here people just took the basic precautions and got on with life, I as a firefighter would have had more direct contact than most 'civilians' with the end results of terrorist acts,but it never stopped me getting on with life. I done a quick google search and in Western Europe there were approximately 175 terror related deaths in 2015 and in NYC in the same year there were 330 reported murders so on this basis you are more likely to be murdered than killed in a terrorist attack. My point being would terrorism prevent me taking a holiday in Europe Hell No would I have a holiday in NYC Hell Yes