He!p My husband decide about purchasing Prestige Beverage package

St Paul Girl

Hi everyone,

My husband is contemplating purchasing the Prestige alcohol package for our upcoming 21 day South America cruise. He normally has a double Scotch or Canadian whiskey before dinner and a glass of wine with dinner. Maybe more wine if the dinner stretches out.How large are the pours from the bartenders? Also with Happy Hour, is a double a real double? He normally pours himself a 3 oz drink and his wine pours are more like 6-8 pz.

He does not drink beer,. It maybe a port after dinner.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks

Hi everyone,

My husband is contemplating purchasing the Prestige alcohol package for our upcoming 21 day South America cruise. He normally has a double Scotch or Canadian whiskey before dinner and a glass of wine with dinner. Maybe more wine if the dinner stretches out.How large are the pours from the bartenders? Also with Happy Hour, is a double a real double? He normally pours himself a 3 oz drink and his wine pours are more like 6-8 pz.

Thanks

You'll get every option and opinion under the sun this way. Since the package can be added any time I would wait and see what he spends on the first day or two and if it is close to the Premier Package rate he can add it on for the rest of the cruise.

I don't believe that it is correct to say that the package may be added "at any time".

The original rule stated that one had three days at the start of the cruise to add the Package for the remaining duration of the cruise.

Hi everyone,

Thanks

If you have a prestige package, you can order doubles (2 oz) or triples (3 oz) of the best booze. If you are a discerning imbiber, only way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you have a prestige package, you can order doubles (2 oz) or triples (3 oz) of the best booze. If you are a discerning imbiber, only way to go.

Are you saying that they pour 1 oz shots? If that is the case, premier package would be better?

Thanks

Are you saying that they pour 1 oz shots? If that is the case, premier package would be better?

Thanks

Yes. A top end Margarita like a double (2 oz) ElTessoro Anejo with Cointreau (ask for fresh lime juice and no mixer) would run over $30 w/o tip!

Yes, I think the package is a much better deal...And don't forget about lunch. It adds up fast-this way if you want a drink have one. The Port alone will had to the bill with the package and as I recall it was a good port.

Yes, I think the package is a much better deal...And don't forget about lunch. It adds up fast-this way if you want a drink have one. The Port alone will had to the bill with the package and as I recall it was a good port.

Thanks, from you have said, a 3 oz Scotch, Macallan, could run up to $40! He prefers Scotch.

Thanks

I don't believe that it is correct to say that the package may be added "at any time".

The original rule stated that one had three days at the start of the cruise to add the Package for the remaining duration of the cruise.

Jim,

I know that the original announcement was that you had to buy it early on, but on our two cruises in 2016 it could be purchased at any time throughout the cruise. Daily announcements in Currents to this effect.

Mura

I found on my Marina cruise a couple of years ago when I bought the package, the drinks were much better in both pour and quality call. Additionally as a regular at non happy hour times, I felt I received better service during happy hour too. I didn't have to order, just stand there.

I noticed the bartenders using a measured 1 oz. pour for others but not for the package. I was drinking JW Black then.

Hi everyone,

My husband is contemplating purchasing the Prestige alcohol package for our upcoming 21 day South America cruise. He normally has a double Scotch or Canadian whiskey before dinner and a glass of wine with dinner. Maybe more wine if the dinner stretches out.

Thanks

In his case he would be better to get the package deal

one drink of scotch would be at least half the price of the package if he has larger pours

The Preismans have copies of bar menus with prices so you can compare what you would drink in a day then decide

http://www.thepreismans.com/riviera16_menus.htm#main_bar

Beside that, I think in South America they add a VAT tax to the drink if you don't have the package. We are not heavy drinkers, but the package is the way to go. Just consider it part of the cruise price.

By all means purchase the package. Well worth it is you are a high end drinker. I sometimes a nice cognac to bring to cabin and sit on balcony. My choice is $27 per ounce. This is on top of wine with dinner etc. I have never regretted purchasing the premier bev pkg.

Thank you all for your valuable insight. Yes, he will purchase the premier package. He has done it on both Princess and Celebrity but he was not aware of the pour sizes. We have so much OBC that it will cover his package for the 21 days.

Thanks again

I would think most line would use the standard pour size (1.5 oz) & not free pour like you do at home

I know when DH has bought drinks (we never get the package) the drinks are strong enough

but then again it depends on what your body is used to

My SIL who is an alcoholic would probably find them weak :rolleyes:

In my experience, I found that the pr depended on the bartender. In some bars you got the measured 1 ounce pours and in others you got the calibrated eyeball pour.

I bought the premium package and was pleased I did so. I like to have premium wines and liquors and particularly a good port after dinner and a very good cognac as a nightcap. They were quite expensive and the package price was very worthwhile for that alone.Happy hour would be double pours each time.

Also, on sea days, I would like a drink or two in the afternoons or at poolside which is something the regular package does not include.

So, your husband sounds somewhat like me and I would recommend a premium package for him.

Oh and, the 18% gratuity is included for all drinks except for bottles of wine (if ordering them for dinner for you and him). If ordering by the glass, the gratuity is included in the package.

In my experience, I found that the pr depended on the bartender. In some bars you got the measured 1 ounce pours and in others you got the calibrated eyeball pour.

I bought the premium package and was pleased I did so. I like to have premium wines and liquors and particularly a good port after dinner and a very good cognac as a nightcap. They were quite expensive and the package price was very worthwhile for that alone.Happy hour would be double pours each time.

Also, on sea days, I would like a drink or two in the afternoons or at poolside which is something the regular package does not include.

So, your husband sounds somewhat like me and I would recommend a premium package for him.

Oh and, the 18% gratuity is included for all drinks except for bottles of wine (if ordering them for dinner for you and him). If ordering by the glass, the gratuity is included in the package.

Thank you very much.

I do NOT drink alcohol or caffeine drinks, so I have been his designated driver for life.

He only drinks "on the rocks" or "neat", so he knows the size they are pouring immediately.:whiskey-glass:

Yes, premier package it is!

Something to consider is how many sea days vs port days. And length of cruise. We have never bought package as we like to enjoy a drink when ashore on port days rather than onboard. We also find our ability/desire to drink alcohol wanes with time so although it seems good value to begin with, we would not get much benefit towards the end of the cruise.

For a person who drinks spirits, the package is definitely a better deal.

I usually just drink wine, so for me, it depends. If it is a port intensive cruise, I would not buy the package. A cruise with a lot of seadays--package is a better deal.

Thank you very much.

I do NOT drink alcohol or caffeine drinks, so I have been his designated driver for life.

He only drinks "on the rocks" or "neat", so he knows the size they are pouring immediately.:whiskey-glass:

Yes, premier package it is!

You are welcome.

If he drinks his spirits neat then he will appreciate the premium spirits he can get with the premium package.

This all is very helpful. We are booked on O for the first time for a 14-day crossing in December and I think you all have convinced me to splurge on the premier package, just relax and enjoy ourselves. Thanks for the feedback.

This all is very helpful. We are booked on O for the first time for a 14-day crossing in December and I think you all have convinced me to splurge on the premier package, just relax and enjoy ourselves. Thanks for the feedback.

Sorry for going off topic but, an small ship across the Atlantic in December? We were on the Rivieria on Feb/March in the Caribbean and there were some weather days and the ship moved around a lot. Lots of people ill. The good news is there is no line ups at the bar and the specialty restaurants will have cancellations :)

Sorry for going off topic but, an small ship across the Atlantic in December? We were on the Rivieria on Feb/March in the Caribbean and there were some weather days and the ship moved around a lot. Lots of people ill. The good news is there is no line ups at the bar and the specialty restaurants will have cancellations :)

No worries. We've done this before, same itinerary on the Azamara Journey, also in December. Did not have rough weather, but we've had bad weather on the Atlantic in the spring and summer. We can handle it. My biggest problem with rough weather is that sleeping is difficult with all the motion and noise.

My biggest problem with rough weather is that sleeping is difficult with all the motion and noise.

If that is the case, why in the World do you continue to book those itineraries with the greatest chance of rough weather (transatlantic)? :halo:

The discount is irresistible, eh? :evilsmile:

Hi everyone,

Thanks

Very simply, based on the pour size 1 oz and 4 oz for wine adding 18% for what would be a triple, scotch or Canadian. and 2 pours of 4 oz wine and and your pushing $75-80.....ok add one more wine and your nearing $100. add 1 more double ( 2 oz)scotch and your well over $110-120:o

a O pours are not the equal of what you get at home or in your local bar Most folks always order doubles and receive a drink like they get normally. If there is any doubt, go the first 2 or 3 days keeping a total and then make the decision.

It has been my experience on the last 3 cruises than you can add the package at any time:hearteyes: