Wine in Carry-on

mr.roboto

I seem to have a conundrum. To bring a special bottle of wine on the cruise ship, it has to be in the carry-on, but if flying to debarkation port, the airlines (TSA) won't let you. There it has to be in checked luggage. What do most people do to solve this problem?

I seem to have a conundrum. To bring a special bottle of wine on the cruise ship, it has to be in the carry-on, but if flying to debarkation port, the airlines (TSA) won't let you. There it has to be in checked luggage. What do most people do to solve this problem?

See post #3 or buy the wine at embarkation port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another endorsement for Post #3.

I have an insulated, padded wine tote that holds two 750 ml bottles pretty securely. When I pack them in my checked bag they will not roll around. When I pick up my bag at the airport, I unzip it and remove the wine tote. I can, then, carry it on to the ship.

Also, I have packed my two-bottle tote into a fairly small roller case, checked it at the airport, (Here's another tip, always fly Southwest. Each passenger is allowed two checked bags at no extra cost.) but rolled it onto the ship.

If you want to bring a lot of bottles on board, there are products, such as Wine Check or Vingardevalise, that you can check confidently on the airline and, then, roll onto the ship.

Thanks to all for the great suggestions. I guess I'll just go through my luggage before I check in and then put it in my carry-on.

Edited by mr.roboto
fix the wording

Thanks to all for the great suggestions. I guess I'll just go through my luggage before I get on board and then put it in my carry-on.

And while you're at it, buy a bottle of Conundrum (yes, it's an actual wine and quite interesting.

And while you're at it, buy a bottle of Conundrum (yes, it's an actual wine and quite interesting.

Ah, yes, Conundrum by Caymus. I remember when that first came out in the late 80's or early 90's. Still can't find much food to go with it. Just going to have to drink the whole thing by itself.:evilsmile:

Transfer it from your suitcase to your carry on after you land. Not a difficult concept.

Alternatively wait and buy it at your departure port city before you head to the pier.

1. Put bottle in checked luggage at your home airport

2. Fly to cruise port

3. Pick up luggage. Open luggage. Remove bottle from luggage. Insert bottle into carry on bag.

4. Board ship with bottle in carry on bag.

DON

We buy wine at our embarkation port. One exception is Istanbul where we buy it prior to leaving IST airport. Price and selection is much better at their duty free (as you leave the baggage area) than we have found anywhere in town.

I drink red. Would never want to ruin my clothes for the sake of a bottle of plonk. And we only do carry on-nothing gets checked.

When you arrive at your destination airport, just take the bottle out of your checked luggage and put it in your carry-on.

See post #3 or buy the wine at embarkation port....

Agree. Of course we will always arrive at the departure point 1-2days ahead, and part of our routine is to scout out well stocked wine stores and to spend some time browsing the shelves. (Note, e.g., in Fort Lauderdale, there are a couple of nice stores just off 17th.)

Eurodam - 6-10-17 out of Seattle, right? There is a new Total Wine store within walking distance of Pier 91 in Seattle. Just past the Whole Foods store on 15th Ave NW. HUGE selection, good prices (for WA state anyway). Save the hassle of flying with the wine and buy there.