Omg - toilets not working on jewel of the seas

Had to get air in a tire this weekend. The cost was $1.50. No big deal, I needed it. However the machine also took credit card. I guess a lot of us don't have change either.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Maybe they should add credit card slots for restroom entry in London?

Some have contactless.

Its meant to stop homeless sleeping inside and make it a bit safer

We have just got off Freedom and 3 times in 7 days we had to get maintenance to clear toilet as the bowl just filled with water.

They came promptly and sorted but maybe the suction system needs overhauling on the older ships as this seems a regular occurrence.

We have just got off Freedom and 3 times in 7 days we had to get maintenance to clear toilet as the bowl just filled with water.

They came promptly and sorted but maybe the suction system needs overhauling on the older ships as this seems a regular occurrence.

Been on Freedom 3 times and 2 of the 3 had multiple issues with my cabin toilet. Frustrating but as with you they got the problems fixed promptly.

Or more likely, you have ignorant neighbors who flushed something down the toilet they should not have.

Most of the time the suction sounded weak and the 3 blockages makes me think they might need an overhaul.

I have to place the blame on the maintenance crew in this case. There are really only three parts to these toilets, a water valve, a control mechanism (timer), and the "discharge" valve that empties the bowl. At the first call for maintenance, they should have been able to decide whether it was the control mechanism or the discharge valve, since the discharge valve never opened (bowl filling with water), and repaired it right then.

Chronic low vacuum is caused when scale forms on the insides of the vacuum pipes, reducing the diameter. This reduces the vacuum available, and also makes the lines more prone to clogging. Typically, most ships treat this scale by adding a dissolvable packet of citric acid to each passenger toilet during the turn-around cleaning. Flushing this acid down the pipes removes the scale.

I have to place the blame on the maintenance crew in this case. There are really only three parts to these toilets, a water valve, a control mechanism (timer), and the "discharge" valve that empties the bowl. At the first call for maintenance, they should have been able to decide whether it was the control mechanism or the discharge valve, since the discharge valve never opened (bowl filling with water), and repaired it right then.

Chronic low vacuum is caused when scale forms on the insides of the vacuum pipes, reducing the diameter. This reduces the vacuum available, and also makes the lines more prone to clogging. Typically, most ships treat this scale by adding a dissolvable packet of citric acid to each passenger toilet during the turn-around cleaning. Flushing this acid down the pipes removes the scale.

I am in awe at this amazingly detailed description of something I didn't know I needed to know. ;)

Thank you for info.

Basically maintenance went into cupboard in the corridor behind our toilet and came into cabin flushed it a couple of times and said it was fixed.

Our cabin 8338 was on the hump of the ship.

Should we just dump a glass of Orange juice in the bowl on day 1?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

We had a similar problem on Vision in February (2 maintenance calls in 7 nights) and Independence in April ( 1 maintenance call in 3 nights) in each case the suction seemed weak and they were older ships.

We had a similar problem on Vision in February (2 maintenance calls in 7 nights) and Independence in April ( 1 maintenance call in 3 nights) in each case the suction seemed weak and they were older ships.

Indy is only 9 years old.

Indy is only 9 years old.

Freedom is 11 and Vision older but we had no problems on Allure or Harmony which were brand new.

As our expert said it is a maintenance problem and they are obviously skipping on the citric acid in every cabin toilet because in 4 months on 3 different ships we have experienced this and we never put anything in the toilet that should not be put in.

Freedom is 11 and Vision older but we had no problems on Allure or Harmony which were brand new.

As our expert said it is a maintenance problem and they are obviously skipping on the citric acid in every cabin toilet because in 4 months on 3 different ships we have experienced this and we never put anything in the toilet that should not be put in.

I would say that "typically" chronic low vacuum is due to restricted pipes. However, whether you ever flush anything down the toilet that shouldn't be, others can, and since the pipes from each area join together downstream, and the vacuum pumps are all the way downstream, inconsideration by others can affect many cabins. Sometimes things will hang up in a bend or y-joint not completely blocking the pipe, but causing low vacuum up the line. I don't know RCI's maintenance plan, but we used to have the chemical supplier's tech reps come to the ship every 3 months, and we would take out selected sections of the vacuum piping for his inspection to determine if the use of citric acid was working as designed.

Cargo ships with many, many fewer branches in the vacuum lines, use a machine that slowly injects slugs of phosphoric acid down the pipes to do the same thing, and this has worked remarkably well, as you only need to treat each branch once a year.