Regarding the comments on Carnival staff having more work to do, they get more tips?

I know... just tired arguing with people who bragging about creative way of removing tips. Especially international cruisers, but not only them.

It doesn't feel right to pay more when people are avoiding following cruise lines rules.

And by the way it does happen for Australian cruisers on massmarket lines.

I'm not even talking about German lines like Aida and Tui.

If I were a betting man, I would wager heavily that what you suggest will never happen.

If it were to happen (having the tips included in the fare) it would because the crew insisted on it. Funny thing is the only people I ever hear complaining about the system are the passengers.

I know... just tired arguing with people who bragging about creative way of removing tips. Especially international cruisers, but not only them.

It doesn't feel right to pay more when people are avoiding following cruise lines rules.

I doubt very seriously that any increase in tips is done to offset passengers removing the tips.

It happens for various reasons including an addition of international cruisers in recent decades. Tipping culture is not worldwide spread thing, so ....

It happens for various reasons including an addition of international cruisers in recent decades. Tipping culture is not worldwide spread thing, so ....

So... Corporate is only concerned that staff are paid the obligatory minimum and if the staff loses some because of some passengers they would hardly feel any obligation to make up the difference.

Maybe with money not lost there will be a possibility of paying better wages. Less unhappy crew, better for business. Imho

They raise tips to make people want to work for them and to keep the crew happy. I would be very greatly surprised if the people that make that decision factor in anyway that some people will remove tips (just as they don't factor in how many people leave extra tips). Again, if the system changes I believe it will be started by the crew.

If it were to happen (having the tips included in the fare) it would because the crew insisted on it. Funny thing is the only people I ever hear complaining about the system are the passengers.

That is why it won't happen, they have the best scenario possible right now. We know of people who tip extra (and I mean a lot).

The easiest thing would probably to pay the staff as non-tipped employees. Then include "tips" in the actual fare. The people would know exactly what they were going to be paid as part of their contract. We would know our fare and not have to concern ourselves with tipping. The European model of not tipping is because they have a different wage structure. They aren't paid a bunch less for jobs such as waiting tables because tips are not expected to be a big part of their pay.

I treat tips as part of the fare. I add them when I book. I can't imagine ever removing them. But I suppose if someone was really horrible I'd think about it. Never had anything bad enough for that.

If a cabin steward ever tells me I can ONLY have morning *OR* turndown service, I will immediately be cutting the tips in half. Half the service, half the tips.

If a cabin steward ever tells me I can ONLY have morning *OR* turndown service, I will immediately be cutting the tips in half. Half the service, half the tips.

I was thinking about this and it's not exactly half, at least from my experience. They clean and make beds in the morning. In the evening they just turn down the sheets, get any pullman beds ready, and replace towels that need it. All probably takes just a few minutes. But I do agree that it's less service with the same gratuity. In any case I think they always give you a choice (from what I've been reading as I've always gotten both done without question).

But I do agree that it's less service with the same gratuity. In any case I think they always give you a choice (from what I've been reading as I've always gotten both done without question).
True, currently. But the day is coming.

And by the way it does happen for Australian cruisers on massmarket lines.

I'm not even talking about German lines like Aida and Tui.

I'm confused why do people need to be creative to remove tips? I thought you can just remove, reduce or increase them if you want.

I guess they deep inside know that it is not exactly very nice thing to do, so they invent all kind of stories... but in the and it is mostly about saving money. :(

We recently spent 2 months in Australia and New Zealand, and the tipping culture there was almost non existent. As New Yorkers accustomed to 20 and 25% tips, we had to restrain ourselves in some situations where tipping is considered unnecessary or worse, insulting.

I do believe that Carnival staff only complain about their workload to guests who directly asked them on a bad day (or week or contract) or to guests who did not sign up for autotips.

LOL....I will never understand the busy bodies who think they have to interject themselves into the fine details of cruise line labor like some grand ambassador.

They want to be graduates of the JH school of buffoonery or bloviation.

I'm confused why do people need to be creative to remove tips? I thought you can just remove, reduce or increase them if you want.

You can do exactly what you say, but some people create stories to cover up their original motivation. A story will sound better in their own ears than saying I'm cheap or I can't afford this.

It's not always that easy. I've known a good number of people over the years that were unhappy with their jobs and it took them a while to find something as good or better. (I also think that most of them are happy, just pointing out that it's not so easy to just quit a job unless another one is lined up.)

Exactly. A cabin steward quits his job and he gets put off the ship at the next port and has to pay for his own way home. Some staff have told me they were unhappy with their present situation but were looking forward to their next contract on a different ship or cruise line.

I don't see why any of that matters. If your think you will every find a group of people where the vast majority is happy you are crazy. There are millions of people unhappy with their jobs right here in the US including coworkers of probably every poster in this topic. That server you just had at lunch....good chance they hate their job. That nice girl working the front desk at the hotel....probably hates her job. That doesn't mean they need some ambassador to come fight their fight.

I think OP is asking, in part, if they have to clean more cabins, wouldn't that mean more tips? Yes, it's more work in the same amount of time, but higher # of cabin tips.

There may be more cash tips, but as far as payment from the company, no, this does not represent a raise for them. They signed contracts with a guarantee pay rate; meaning if they don't make the minimum the company guarantees the rest. That does not mean they suddenly are all making double money with double workload.

I agree with Riclop; many simply don't have a say in the matter and changing their situation may be very difficult.

My understanding of that....yes. Are you concerned with the room steward or the tips?

Pure curiosity, like A&Jfamily states below. I wouldn't reduce my tips if I thought he/she is getting more.

To the OP - If they are working more rooms then yes it stands to reason their tips are greater. Same with MDR. But you have me curious. I will ask on our next cruise!

They get nothing more but many don't have much of a choice.

Of course they have a choice. They are handed a pen, with a contract, and they sign it for a 6 month contract. No one is forcing them to accept the job. After 6 months, they will be offered another contract. If they sign it, they made the choice.

Next, it's their business, not mine. I could care less how overworked they are, or how many tips they get. My only business is whether I received the service I paid for, and if so, how much extra I decide to tip, or not. They always get the auto tips and "maybe" more.

That's the way the world works. You pay for a service, and the company provides the service. Employees work for the company, and are expected to provide the service the company requires of them. If not, they get fired. I can't even tell you how much the people around me make. I do know I make more money than most of them, but I could care less of what they make.

I just don't understand the fascination of their income. (unless you are thinking of working for Carnival)

It's happening mid-contract. Your attitude about this is disturbing.

I bet their contracts say Carnival is allowed to make the said changes. If line crew want the privilege to decide how they work and how much they get paid, they should apply to work in senior management or the company president's job.