Alaska cruise - what are good shoes to wear

Going on our first Alaskan cruise 8/26-9/5 and I'm curious about what kind of shoes to wear while out on excursions. Hubby thinks I should wear light hiking shoes. I was think a good pair of walking shoes.

Jenn aka Muthatruckr

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Either type of shoe or boot is good for most activities during this time of the year. I usually water-proof my shoes or hiking boots. Pro Bass, Cabela's, Amazon, or any online store will offer many products. I usually do this process 2 times & allow for 24 hours to dry between applications. Personally I wore high top hiking boots for a 7 day DIY land adventure prior to the cruise & on every port excursion. Dry feet are important. Then enjoyed a running shoe while walking around the ship.

Good Luck, John

My advice is whatever you wear, make sure you have already broken them in. An hours-long excursion away from home is not the time to wear new shoes or hiking boots.

And yes, it depends what you are doing. We have been to Alaska twice now and just wore good runners, even to Mendenhall Glacier.

Have fun. :)

Just came back from Alaska cruise. We did the helicopter mendenhall glacier, Skagway train ride, and a self guided walking tour in ketchikan - I had on my comfortable broken-in walking shoes. They gave us snow shoes for mendenhall to wear over your shoes.

Have a lovely time!

Either type of shoe or boot is good for most activities during this time of the year. I usually water-proof my shoes or hiking boots. Pro Bass, Cabela's, Amazon, or any online store will offer many products. I usually do this process 2 times & allow for 24 hours to dry between applications. Personally I wore high top hiking boots for a 7 day DIY land adventure prior to the cruise & on every port excursion. Dry feet are important. Then enjoyed a running shoe while walking around the ship.

Good Luck, John

This is the best advice! Given luggage weight restrictions most people don't have space to bring multiple sets of hiking boots or walking shoes so if your one pair gets wet you will be miserable that day and, quite possibly (should they not thoroughly dry overnight in your cabin), the next day too. We've taken to using water proofing spray on whichever daily shoes we are taking on every cruise we take since you never know when you might be caught in a rainstorm.

Waterproofing spray, called CampDry, is available at Walmart, where the camping gear is sold. Spray whatever footwear you plan to wear onshore in AK with 2 coats, and you should be fine, unless you wade thru a puddle that is deeper than your shoe tops. LOL

It's wise to have a 2nd pair of comfy walking shoes just in case the above happens. Leather shoes don't dry out quickly, so my 2nd pair would be a non-leather type. I have Skechers that are virtually weightless, so great for packing, and they would be my backup.

We wore sneakers, same as we'd wear at home in all but the most inclement winter weather or hottest summer days (we live in New England, if that makes a difference). No problems.

We did some walking, but not what I'd call hiking.

Going on our first Alaskan cruise 8/26-9/5 and I'm curious about what kind of shoes to wear while out on excursions. Hubby thinks I should wear light hiking shoes. I was think a good pair of walking shoes.

Jenn aka Muthatruckr

I've worn Goretex light hikers on the 4 AK cruises we've been on, as has my wife. I wouldn't go to AK without Goretex boots, but then again I wear them year around. I'm partial to Danner, but there are many good brands. The pair I have, Danner 453, are not much heavier than athletic shoes, give great support, and keep my feet dry and comfortable. Southeast AK is a temperate RAIN forest. For me, wet feet=misery. They're bulky to pack, so I wear them on the plane.

Free advice is worth what you pay for it.

If any of your excursions are taking you off road or trails/muddy/uneven terrain, get some light hiking boots. Good ankle support and good treads are important. Rather incur the burden of a heavier suitcase than a twisted knee or ankle.

We are headed to Alaska in July. I have a pair of Merrils waterproof Moab, and my wife will be wearing Keen's. They are very comfortable and can be worn anywhere.

• 1 month later...
We are headed to Alaska in July. I have a pair of Merrils waterproof Moab, and my wife will be wearing Keen's. They are very comfortable and can be worn anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I swear by Merrill Siren Sports. They're sold as light hikers, but they're comfortable enough to wear all the time. Which I pretty much do. They're Goretex, and they're actually shaped like my foot.

I thought I was prepared on my first trip to Alaska, wearing my Vibram soled Merrill low-top (Goretex layered) hikers... Only to have the soles fall apart before ever leaving California (or maybe we were de-planing in Vancouver). Fortunately I had another pair of shoes, Merrill hemp-fabric 'mocs', and fortunately we didn't run into any torrential rains. Yes, I did all excursions and two weeks of self-drive adventures in fabric pull-on shoes! although there was a chance to shop for something more appropriate in Seward, I opted to chance it! At least they dried overnight when they got a little damp.

I still travel with one waterproof/resistant cross-trainer and one comfortable SAS shoe to wear around the ship (or on bus-travel days)... the latter HAS stood in for a walker -- its model name is "Roamer". I do twist and turn the soles of both pair, looking for telltale cracks!

9k= Rustoleum makes a great product called Never Wet and I used it with great results. Great reminder to order another bottle.

Great suggestions from everyone, especially about waterproofing your shoes. It rains a lot in Alaska.