More competition for Azamara

santrah

More competition in the luxury all inclusive market for Azamara...the launch of Scenic Eclipse the 228 passenger yacht type cruiser. The itineraries and options and inclusivity looks amazing. I received my brochure through the UK post as I had previously been looking at the Scenic river cruises. The UK pricing includes flights.

Yes, I noticed these a while ago as our TA was pushing it quite hard, direct competition I think would be Crystal's yachts, with a lot of explorer itineraries. However looking at the Med cruises prices they are very much in Azamara CC suite and above territory but offering considerably more.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Scenic will not be competition for Azamara. Scenic is a total luxury line. Its closest competitor will be Seabourn, Silversea, Regent and Crystal. But I think it will actually have a niche all its own because the Eclipse carries only 200 passengers and can go to ports many other ships cannot.

Would agree with that, however our travel agent is offering the following in mid August 2019, both included flights:

Azamara Quest 11 nights Alaska cruise - Inside Cabin -£4645pp

Scenic Eclipse 13 nights Iceland & Canada - Verandah Suite - £4339pp

I have checked availability on a couple of the Med cruises and some are sold out. I agree that rate wise they appear comparable to the CC Azamara grades with more high end inclusivity. I am really sold on the overall ship appearance.

I don't know what they will do in the Med, but in places like Iceland Scenic is much more active than any regular cruise ships. The excursions tend to be zodiacs or kayaks -- too much for me.

Would agree with that, however our travel agent is offering the following in mid August 2019, both included flights:

Totally different cruises

Not Evan close the west coast (Alaska)

Vs

Iceland ??? East coast

Not a good comparison for cost or anything really

Totally different cruises

Not Evan close the west coast (Alaska)

Vs

Iceland ??? East coast

Not a good comparison for cost or anything really

I totally disagree with that comment. If anything Alaska cruises tend to be cheap vs. Iceland and Canada cruises - not the other way around. Add to that the fact that Scenic is an all inclusive, super luxury line...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

More competition in the luxury all inclusive market for Azamara...the launch of Scenic Eclipse the 228 passenger yacht type cruiser. The itineraries and options and inclusivity looks amazing. I received my brochure through the UK post as I had previously been looking at the Scenic river cruises. The UK pricing includes flights.

Scenic looks good. We are also receiving interesting information about those ships. If Scenic or other cruise lines become a real competition for Azamara will depend of the price. Sometimes I get the feeling that if Azamara and, by the way also Celebrity, continue to increase their prices, many of their loyals will seek different cruise lines for a different, enhanced experience.

Unless I am completely botching the research, on the cruise line websites there is a huge disparity between what you are being offered in Britain and what is available in Canada.

I can't find the 11 night Quest cruise in Alaska, but on a 10 day interior the Aug. 17 interior stateroom is $4339 Cdn. (pp)

The Club Owner's Suite is $10,939 Cdn.

The only way to get to the price for an interior you are receiving in Britain is to include an expensive pre- or post-cruise land tour.

For the Scenic cruise, the lowest stateroom price for Reykjavik to Quebec City is $15,965 Cdn. (pp)

The Scenic itinerary is outstanding, including stops in Nwfld./Labrador at Gros Morne Park and L'Anse aux Meadows.

As I have posted earlier, it is exactly what I hope Azamara will offer in the future. But the Scenic price is too high for us, and obviously is a much better deal for you. We will have to wait and hope.

The prices I was using were travel agent prices including flights and transfers to make the comparison fair so the 11 nights includes an overnight flight. I didn't look at Azamara's direct cruise only price but it was the 17th August cruise, looking at the itinerary it's very similar to the one Celebrity used to offer on Century.

However my TA is also offering an Alaska cruise in July 2019 on Viking Spirit for £4465 in a Deluxe Verandah including flights, transfers, silver drinks package and $100 OBC. Again they are quoting 10 nights so this is probably a 9 night cruise.

As much as we enjoy the Azamara experience we also look at itinerary and value for money, there's more and more competition out there so we going to watch and wait.

I wasn't comparing costs. I was comparing quality. The two are simply not in the same league.

The flights from the UK to Iceland would be a lot less than flights to Vancouver, I guess, so not really a price comparison. Scenic certainly looks more luxurious - but it remains to be seen if it will have the same friendliness and great atmosphere as Azamara.

I wasn't comparing costs. I was comparing quality. The two are simply not in the same league.

Quality cruising to me is not just about luxury. It is the whole onboard experience and enjoyment experienced by the passenger. Personally speaking, Azamara is my definition of "quality cruising". I have cruised with Silversea, Crystal, Cunard Grills and Oceania and Azamara is still by far my favourite cruise line. Sorry K!

Scenic does look interesting though and the ship's are lovely. I could definitely be persuaded to try them, especially with the lack of Azamara Med cruises that I want to do in 2019. However I would think Scenic would be more of a competitor for Silversea and Regent than Azamara.

At the end any other cruise line we decide to choose instead of Azamara is a competitor. What does it mean Scenic is in "another league"?. If for whatever reason we decide to take it (curiosity, price comparable to Azamara, destinations not being covered by Azamara, etc), than Scenic would be a competitor.

Quality cruising to me is not just about luxury. It is the whole onboard experience and enjoyment experienced by the passenger. Personally speaking, Azamara is my definition of "quality cruising". I have cruised with Silversea, Crystal, Cunard Grills and Oceania and Azamara is still by far my favourite cruise line. Sorry K!

Scenic does look interesting though and the ship's are lovely. I could definitely be persuaded to try them, especially with the lack of Azamara Med cruises that I want to do in 2019. However I would think Scenic would be more of a competitor for Silversea and Regent than Azamara.

In terms of a "quality" experience, your post is an excellent opportunity to thank you and many others on this forum for describing the atmosphere on board other cruise lines. It always is very helpful to acquire some background as to whether we are possibly part of the "target" market for a particular fleet, and the generic adjectives of "premium" and "luxury" are not particularly useful in that quest.

More specifically Scenic has many attractions, including a fairly long and active presence in our country marketing river cruises. But the term "yacht" in their title, and certainly the price, will give us pause as to whether we are the desired demographic. :)