First the Medallion, now it Tag(s)along, too

thinfool

Just don't select the tag-a long. It isn't new information, just a newer press release.

I understand Medallions. The tag along... Whatever.

As I understand the press release, tagalong is just a marketing name for the Medallion.

More gimmickry. Life in the phone. Speaking of the phone, I spent an hour on the phone this afternoon, mostly because the Princess rep had zero understanding of their current promotion. (Deposit of $100 per guest made under Red, White + Blue Sale is non-refundable.‬‬) How about improving the basics before continuing to escalate the complexities, please?

Edited by latserrof
accuracy

We used to always just turn off the phones and stick them in the safe. However, the last few cruises I have used my phone as I can check my folio on it and can also make a customized list of items from the Patter that I want to remember.

As for the Medallion being for the younger generation: I'm 64 and will be 65 on our first Medallion cruise next March and I'm looking forward to trying it out. IF (and that may be a pretty big "if") it works as advertised there are things about it that I will really like. Numerous times I've left my stateroom and traveled down multiple decks and half way across the ship to look for my wife at the Nitters and Natters meeting only to find that she is no longer there and is actually on her way back to the cabin. With the Medallion I "should" be able to check from my cabin and verify she is still there and then have a spicy Bloody Mary waiting for me when I get to Crooner's to meet up with her. Additionally, in theory, all bartenders onboard will have the information that I want my Bloody Mary made extra spicy. Whether or not this actually works as advertised remains to be seen.

Thrak, I am with you about the Medallion and especially about the Bloody Mary being extra spicy. It is the Tag Along thing that holds no appeal for me.

As I understand the press release, tagalong is just a marketing name for the Medallion.

No. The tagalong is a "digital friend" type of thing. It's ancillary to the Medallion.

You can still make a tag-along and also access all the Medallion stuff. The TV in your cabin will be replaced with an interactive TV and there are also a LOT of large access monitors all over the ship.

Thank you. But I really don't know what I would use it for. I have to look into it more.

We used to always just turn off the phones and stick them in the safe. However, the last few cruises I have used my phone as I can check my folio on it and can also make a customized list of items from the Patter that I want to remember.

As for the Medallion being for the younger generation: I'm 64 and will be 65 on our first Medallion cruise next March and I'm looking forward to trying it out. IF (and that may be a pretty big "if") it works as advertised there are things about it that I will really like. Numerous times I've left my stateroom and traveled down multiple decks and half way across the ship to look for my wife at the Nitters and Natters meeting only to find that she is no longer there and is actually on her way back to the cabin. With the Medallion I "should" be able to check from my cabin and verify she is still there and then have a spicy Bloody Mary waiting for me when I get to Crooner's to meet up with her. Additionally, in theory, all bartenders onboard will have the information that I want my Bloody Mary made extra spicy. Whether or not this actually works as advertised remains to be seen.

Ha! This "conversation" has made me feel old... lol and I'm 42 [emoji23]

You are right. There are some advertised perks that seem nice, knowing exactly where to find everyone and having my favorite drink ready for me when I want it. I just kind of like the idea of not being "locatable" 24/7. Like the "good ole days".

Sure, it's easier to know where the kids are when we're trying to get ready for dinner or finding where my husband has run off to (the fitness center) and I enjoy new technology. I work for a technology company... but i still love still a clean break from the real world while I'm on vacation. I won't avoid a Medallion cruise but I wouldn't say I'm too excited about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha! This "conversation" has made me feel old... lol and I'm 42 [emoji23]

You are right. There are some advertised perks that seem nice, knowing exactly where to find everyone and having my favorite drink ready for me when I want it. I just kind of like the idea of not being "locatable" 24/7. Like the "good ole days".

Sure, it's easier to know where the kids are when we're trying to get ready for dinner or finding where my husband has run off to (the fitness center) and I enjoy new technology. I work for a technology company... but i still love still a clean break from the real world while I'm on vacation. I won't avoid a Medallion cruise but I wouldn't say I'm too excited about it.

Face it. You are on a ship in the middle of the ocean. There aren't all that many places you could be. It's not like one could actually hide for long even if they wanted to do so. I don't care if they can tell where I am. It's not like they are going to track me all the time. I'm not that interesting and they mainly want bulk data.

Once created, the animated and responsive Tagalongs will appear online within a guest's profile and in interactive PlayOcean games that can be played online, as well as interacting within Ocean Portals found onboard Medallion Class ships. Tagalongs even evolve throughout the cruise, reflecting the personality and interactions of the guest and collecting "charms" that show off their achievements.Guest Tagalongs also will take center stage in the social gaming experience Tagalong Sprint, which pits guests' digital companions in a fast and fun race across the ocean floor. Guests will tap their personal Compass devices to see who can speed across the finish line first in this rhythm-based group game played on massive digital displays found onboard Medallion Class ships.

"The Ocean Tagalong is a great way for guests to express themselves and gives us the opportunity to engage them in unique experiences that amplify fun and stoke their competitive spirits," said John Padgett, chief experience and innovation officer for Carnival Corporation. "Driven by the Ocean Medallion, guests will be amazed at how their Tagalongs appear in dynamic settings around the ship and delighted by the ways their companions can interact throughout their vacation."

Quoted from the original link.

So I got to thinking about this, will the tagalongs compete and earn "Virtual Prizes" such as Virtual Crappy Bubbly :bottle-pop::champagne-toast: or Virtual Magnet Clips or Virtual Water Bottles or Virtual Carabiners or... you get the idea! ;):D;p LOL!

Happy Cruising!

Mark

If you look at the photo in the press release in the OP's link, you'll see a joyous couple using their phones to have personalized interaction with a flatscreen TV. As someone said, it's like Pokemon Go takes a cruise -- but using CCL's own intranet, at sea, which means it's largely beyond the U.S.'s (or any country's) regulation (such as privacy laws).

If you look at the photo in the press release in the OP's link, you'll see a joyous couple using their phones to have personalized interaction with a flatscreen TV. As someone said, it's like Pokemon Go takes a cruise -- but using CCL's own intranet, at sea, which means it's largely beyond the U.S.'s (or any country's) regulation (such as privacy laws).

Yes, but I think that is just to create the Tagalong (which you can do before you get on the ship). Every reference to the playing the games or interacting with it is by using the medallion. I just do not understand the fuss. It is completely optional. If you do not want to play, then don't.

One of the things I love about cruising is the fact that people are mostly disconnected from their phones. I do use mine for the Patter, and it's the only camera I own, but other than that, I really don't miss it and I don't miss seeing people with their faces in their phones all the time. Not sure how I feel about this.

Hmm, I like to disconnect from the outside world/work/life pressures when on vacation. I put my phone in airplane mode and go!! I have a watch and don't need my phone really. My camera takes far superior photos anyway. I tell my husband it works magic on me because the photos we take are breathtaking [emoji4]

I won't interact with the app or tagalong I guess new marketing for the younger generation? Hope it works.... just hope it doesn't raise the price of cruising for something that is a dud.

Totally different subject, but what camera do you use?

Face it. You are on a ship in the middle of the ocean. There aren't all that many places you could be. It's not like one could actually hide for long even if they wanted to do so. I don't care if they can tell where I am. It's not like they are going to track me all the time. I'm not that interesting and they mainly want bulk data.

It's not my family I'm trying to disconnect from. Lol

It's my phone. If I have my phone, I'll play with it, games, or check the Patter or use my free minutes to check "something", I'll bring it out to take photos, or whatever. I just like being full time accessible to my family. We are usually together. The whole "Princess will Know where I am at all times" does not concern me. I can't imagine that what we do is that interesting to anyone but us. Lol

Oh and I do like that I could track the kids if they weren't with me but then I haven't really needed to do that either

It's fine. New technology. [emoji322] Let's hope the glitches are addressed prior to making first Medallion cruise next year

Totally different subject, but what camera do you use?

It's a Canon EOS 70D. I don't think it's a high end camera but we joke about how much better we look in photos from that camera than in person [emoji23] we do have 2 lenses for it but just take 1 on vacation

Not sure I'm understanding this correctly but seems too much like 'Big Brother' for my liking !!!!!

Do you have a Facebook account? If so, you have given in to Big Brother in a very big way already.