Does anyone watch BELOW DECK?

I'm ashamed to admit I watch ...

but if "Captain Sandy" has worked a week on a boat I'd be surprised .....

terminology WRONG

dropping two anchors WRONG (done in only the most extreme circumstances as chain tangles are a given)

anchoring procedure WRONG ... understand this is reality TV but it IS important to SET an anchor ... not just drop it.

the idea of 3 day charters on boats like this makes me wonder as well ..... seems like if you were spending the money it would be for a week minimum .....

but on this I just don't know .....

p.s. wrt the basic Below Deck ... ya'll do know that Ms Chastain was arrested here in Florida for a domestic dispute with her partner ..... taints my opinion if they keep her on the show.

One of the saddest commentaries on our education system is the fact that the TV promoters can get away with calling their genre "REALITY TV" .

I guess the success of "Survivor" gave producers the notion that "if you air it, they will watch" --- and they have been running with it ever since (pretty much downhill).

Is that the current education system or the one in place 20-30 years ago? Most the the viewers of this crap are 40 - 60 years old.:(

Or is it just the fact that humans are generally not too bright with their entertainment choices. This is not new to this generation. Today's generation wastes their time with Reality TV. Past generations had Harlequin Romances, and Cheap Spy novels to waste their time. Other generations had dumb movie serials, Heck, way back in the 15th century the Scott's invented golf! :eek: (and this is from a golf lover!)

I have a friend who was a contestant on The Bachelorette a few years ago. Actually made it to the final 3. The things he told me about that show, including the plants (paid actors) who are "contestants" is what first opened my eyes to how scripted these shows are.

Years ago, I knew a lady who was on one the earliest Canadian Reality TV shows. It was a show about saving failing restaurants. She played the cook because the real cook didn't speak English very well and didn't want to be on TV. This lady was in fact the restaurant's bookkeeper. She didn't know anything about cooking, but she fit into the cook's uniform and was agreeable to playing the no-talent cook who could be rehabilitated on the show! I did watch that show when it aired. She should have won the Canadian version of your Emmy's for that performance!

This is getting too deep. It was supposed to be fun!!!!! I watch it as an escape from reality and find it entertainment for an hour. I laugh at the ignoramus, called Bobby (thinking he has a shot in hell with whats her name). Blah blah blah. LIGHTEN UP FOLKS. It is all in fun. :):):)

IMO it is mindless entertainment which I find enjoyable. Whether it is staged or not, it is better than many scripted shows. Plus, I would rather watch reality shows than violence.

In terms of the tips, I just Googled the cost of chartering a yacht and some articles came up about Eros. She costs "up to $230,000/week" which "balances out to $32,000 per day". This makes the tip much more in line than it initially seems.

IMO it is mindless entertainment which I find enjoyable. Whether it is staged or not, it is better than many scripted shows. Plus, I would rather watch reality shows than violence.

In terms of the tips, I just Googled the cost of chartering a yacht and some articles came up about Eros. She costs "up to $230,000/week" which "balances out to $32,000 per day". This makes the tip much more in line than it initially seems.

So the next question is should the cruisers tip after the service is provided or is pre-tipping the way to go?

Have fun with that one.:halo:

So the next question is should the cruisers tip after the service is provided or is pre-tipping the way to go?

Have fun with that one.:halo:

Actually, I know someone that pre-tips and most people (even crew members) find it in really bad taste. Crew members are trained to provide excellent service and it is kind of a slap in the face (IMHO) to think that you must pay them in advance for this service (or tipping them with the expectation of receiving better service than other passengers).

That was really a thought provoking question!

Actually, I know someone that pre-tips and most people (even crew members) find it in really bad taste.

Thank you so much for confirming this.

I always pre-tip and I would be horrified to find someone thinking me to have good taste.

Actually, I know someone that pre-tips and most people (even crew members) find it in really bad taste. Crew members are trained to provide excellent service and it is kind of a slap in the face (IMHO) to think that you must pay them in advance for this service (or tipping them with the expectation of receiving better service than other passengers).

That was really a thought provoking question!

Thank You!. I try to ask thought provoking questions here on CC. At least I made your brain fire up a couple of neurons tonight. That's a win around here most of the time! :D:D

I'm ashamed to admit I watch ...

but if "Captain Sandy" has worked a week on a boat I'd be surprised .....

terminology WRONG

dropping two anchors WRONG (done in only the most extreme circumstances as chain tangles are a given)

anchoring procedure WRONG ... understand this is reality TV but it IS important to SET an anchor ... not just drop it.

the idea of 3 day charters on boats like this makes me wonder as well ..... seems like if you were spending the money it would be for a week minimum .....

but on this I just don't know .....

p.s. wrt the basic Below Deck ... ya'll do know that Ms Chastain was arrested here in Florida for a domestic dispute with her partner ..... taints my opinion if they keep her on the show.

You do understand they don't show every second of the cruise on the show? Most views wouldn't care or don't understand you don't just "drop the anchor". To do the whole process would take away minutes that could be used to show some intra-crew drama ;) I think maybe Captain Sandy is "dumbing down" on her terminology to try to help the "talent" understand. I wouldn't right off say she hasn't captained before because of her lingo.

And, not all charters are for a week on luxury ships. One of the stylists who has her chair next to my stylist is married to a yacht captain - he runs yachts in the Med in the summer and the Caribbean in the winter. We've known each other for decades. She tells tales of her husband's guests. And, they are not always week-long charters. His yacht's owners do whatever to keep the ship busy.

I watch them all. I like to just turn on the TV for white noise and I rarely change channels. Goes between USA, Bravo and We. What's on usually stays on. And my dog used to love having the same familiar voices coming from that box when I was not home. I have to listen to Muzak in the lobby all day long, so I'm not going to have music for my white noise at home, thank you.

I'm taking bets that Luann will be divorced before the end of the year, Catherine gets her kids back, Kim ends back in rehab, and Vicki just fades into the sunset... :evilsmile:

You do understand they don't show every second of the cruise on the show? Most views wouldn't care or don't understand you don't just "drop the anchor". To do the whole process would take away minutes that could be used to show some intra-crew drama ;)

Exactly: it's a floating soap - no more about boat handling than General Hospital was about health care.

I'm taking bets that Luann will be divorced before the end of the year, Catherine gets her kids back, Kim ends back in rehab, and Vicki just fades into the sunset... :evilsmile:

Do come back and let us know.

I think maybe Captain Sandy is "dumbing down" on her terminology to try to help the "talent" understand. I wouldn't right off say she hasn't captained before because of her lingo.

You could be right. From what I understand, the only thing real about Below Decks is the Captain. The yachts are charterd by 51 Minds...a production company producing for Bravo. The Captains are the real captains of those yachts. All of the crew and passengers are casted by 51 Minds. The passengers aren't actually chartering the yacht since its already chartered by the production company....so the passengers are actors. So it could very well be that the Captain has to dumb down her terminology. Either that, or she's reading script from Bravo.

I have a friend who was a contestant on The Bachelorette a few years ago. Actually made it to the final 3. The things he told me about that show, including the plants (paid actors) who are "contestants" is what first opened my eyes to how scripted these shows are.

Before you talked to your friend, did you actually believe that reality shows were real?? I would not admit that.

DON

Before you talked to your friend, did you actually believe that reality shows were real?? I would not admit that.

No, I did not. What I meant was the level of scripting that goes into these shows, not to mention the numerous retakes due to sound issues, etc. Almost nothing is spontaneous.

You could be right. From what I understand, the only thing real about Below Decks is the Captain. The yachts are charterd by 51 Minds...a production company producing for Bravo. The Captains are the real captains of those yachts. All of the crew and passengers are casted by 51 Minds. The passengers aren't actually chartering the yacht since its already chartered by the production company....so the passengers are actors. So it could very well be that the Captain has to dumb down her terminology. Either that, or she's reading script from Bravo.

It is not just the Captain who is "real". We never see/hear them, but they do have other true crew - Engineer, and others. They are the ones really running the show (pun intended), so that frees up the "talent" to play that they are crew for Front of the House (what we call the staff who interacts directly with guests).

The anchor setting: Well, I was bit by this once. On a houseboat at Lake Powell with 9 other friends. One did have his own boat and he was our designated "captain." First night, we "dropped" anchor (plus did the "set") in between the shore and a small island. During the night, it really started blowing. Felt us moving. We got up and shined lights - we were adrift and couldn't see anything!!! We fortunately did not run aground and were able to reset.

Gawd, I sound like I'm hooked... I swear, I can turn it off anytime...

It is not just the Captain who is "real". We never see/hear them, but they do have other true crew - Engineer, and others. They are the ones really running the show (pun intended), so that frees up the "talent" to play that they are crew for Front of the House (what we call the staff who interacts directly with guests).

Gawd, I sound like I'm hooked... I swear, I can turn it off anytime...

This has to be right - no owner (or his insurer) would let that kind of boat be run by actors - engines and helm must be handled by true crew - the real story anyway is about the passengers and catering staff ( damn! I hate using "real" in this context).

I have to say, I think some of the deck crew lied on their resumes because they clearly don't know what they are doing. It does make me laugh. This last episode when the Captain told the crew member to push the yacht with the tender and he actually questioned her order - um - my dad would not have tolerated that for one second but Captain Sandy didn't even dress the guy down.

Watching it right now...

Anchor untwisted. Only took them 9 hour (so Captain said). That was the highlight.

The owner of that yacht has to install a bigger anchor - they drifted again in wind. I guess it's going to be a recurring "issue" each episode.

To me the bottom line is whether or not you find it entertaining. I find Below Deck entertaining so I watch it. I do not find scripted comedy shows or shows with extreme violence entertaining so I don't watch them, If people don't watch shows, they are cancelled. Since Below Deck not only continues in the Caribbean, but is now in a new season in the Mediterranean it sounds as if the show is successful. I try not to overthink mindless entertainment:halo:

This has to be right - no owner (or his insurer) would let that kind of boat be run by actors - engines and helm must be handled by true crew - the real story anyway is about the passengers and catering staff ( damn! I hate using "real" in this context).

Though, It is nice to see pax who don't complain about paying gratuities. No matter who's paying them. (At least on the episodes I've watched.)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by SadieN

Though, It is nice to see pax who don't complain about paying gratuities. No matter who's paying them. (At least on the episodes I've watched.)

oops. The episode the other night had the guests arguing among themselves about the gratuity. There were some cheap a$$es in that group... And, I think it was a one night charter. Someone ponied up, since they all got something like $1100 each.

On the latest Med episode one of the pax complained about the gratuities or had a drunken disagreement with the other members of his group who wanted to tip $1500 each (they only stayed aboard a short time - maybe 1 night?) I found the rental rates on Sirocco:

SIROCCO is available to charter with prices beginning from €200,000 per week + expenses in summer and €180,000 per week + expenses in winter.

That would be $28,571 per day to charter so the tip should be between 5% and 15% so: $4285 max - they overtipped, IMO. That's probably what that one guest was angry about.

https://www.yachtcharterfleet.com/news/inside-below-deck-mediterranean-yacht--ionian-princess-5951.htm

All the yachts in this series are similarly expensive to charter.