Rough seas on R ships

Go-Bucks!

We were on the Regatta doing a Northeast cruise when we ran into Hurricane Sandy. The 36 hours from Halifax to Boston were really bad. You could hear the dishes crashing onto the floors. Everyone pretty much stayed in their cabins. We were in the most forward cabin on a high deck which was about the worst place to be. We didn't get sick but it was a close thing.

Our next cruise was also on the Regatta and when we crossed over from Bermuda to Norfolk we ran into a storm that was as bad as the Sandy cruise. Don't you know it, we had the same cabin. A chair in the room fell over and broke my Wife's big toe. Needless to say we will never book that cabin again !!!!! Highly recommend Bonine.

As a teenager, many years ago...1961...our family traveled to France from the UK aboard a 'passenger craft' (AKA converted tug). Getting to the mainland was easy as the Channel was very cooperative, 45 minute sail. Returning was a different story. 2 ½ hours of continuous pitching, yawing and diving into the seas. The lounge area was devastated with chairs, tables and dishes flying from port to starboard. Soon after leaving Calais the motion started and the passengers were all smiles. Within several minutes the looks turned to horror as the passengers followed the furniture in its travels. My sister and I, 11 & 14, were advised by a worker to go outboard and watch the horizon. We were hesitant at first because of the weather but as the first "Wretcher" was joined by others we went and stood on the foredeck, just below the pilot house. Barbara and I did get wet but we were of the very few who didn't get seasick.

The method of being in the open and keeping eyes on the horizon has served me well during a Naval career and on many a small boat in high seas. (On a side-trip to Skellig Michael Island the journey was rough. One of the women came outside and was headed for the rail. I struck up a conversation with her and kept on asking her questions to keep her talking. The diversion worked!)

Going below deck and not having a view of the horizon is not a good way to save off sea sickness. I'd strongly suggest by the pool, keep a view of the ocean have a good chat with a fellow passenger - to take your mind off the tossing. Going below and continuing to think about your dilemma will only hasten its consequences.

We too have taken the trip to Skellig Michael, and I cannot imagine how your day went, assuming after the rough sea ride you then climbed the stairway to the top, all covered with mist and moss. Beautiful place, dramatic climb, but tough if one already feels woozie. My dad always told us to look to the horizon when the seas were rough....sounds like it was good advice. I was feeling slightly bad that our upcoming cruise is in an insider on deck 4, but after reading these 'stormy' posts, I am feeling less deprived!

I honestly think if you are in rough seas the size of the cruise ship doesn't make that much difference. We were on the Insignia, from Rio de Janeiro to Valparaiso for about 3 weeks, and there were definitely rough seas out to the Falkland Islands and back, and round the southern end of Chile. However I don't think it felt any worse than the Northern Atlantic on the HAL Eurodam, which is much larger. If it's really rough, it's uncomfortable on any ship.

I honestly think if you are in rough seas the size of the cruise ship doesn't make that much difference. We were on the Insignia, from Rio de Janeiro to Valparaiso for about 3 weeks, and there were definitely rough seas out to the Falkland Islands and back, and round the southern end of Chile. However I don't think it felt any worse than the Northern Atlantic on the HAL Eurodam, which is much larger. If it's really rough, it's uncomfortable on any ship.

+1

IMO, the location on the ship matters more than the size of the ship - high up in the bow being the worst; low down midship being the best.

+1

IMO, the location on the ship matters more than the size of the ship - high up in the bow being the worst; low down midship being the best.

Wish you hadn’t said that, O will raise the rates for those cabins!

It’s funny how the most expensive cabins tend to be high up and/or far forward or aft. The more you pay the more you sway...

It’s funny how the most expensive cabins tend to be high up and/or far forward or aft. The more you pay the more you sway...
The Dining Rooms on older ships were also low and center.......a few of the grandest actually boasted about being windowless.

DININGROOM.jpg

Today, most of us seem happier eating up top

polo-grill-hero.jpg

terrace-cafe--v14123293-cc-576.jpg

The Dining Rooms on older ships were also low and center.......a few of the grandest actually boasted about being windowless.

DININGROOM.jpg

Today, most of us seem happier eating up top

polo-grill-hero.jpg

terrace-cafe--v14123293-cc-576.jpg

..which are great in calm seas and empty on stormy seas :D

Actually, when I look out on the horizon I get more nauseous. Lying in bed is the only position that helps. Guess everyone's different.

Absolutely! The horizon technique is worthless for me. I have excellent peripheral vision. While the horizon may be stable, the undulating sea in my peripheral vision is not. These conflicting signals to my brain do me in. When I have auditory cues like the sound of the waves against the hull if I'm outside, that speeds up the inevitable. I do reasonably well if I go to an inside location on a lower deck and turn my back to the window, if necessary. Between reading a good book, talking with people, and playing mah jongg, I can usually avoid a full blown case of sea sickness.

Every cruiser has to figure out his/her best coping strategy.

..which are great in calm seas and empty on stormy seas :D

Yes Paul, yet the inverse is equally true...

deluxe-ocean-view-stateroom-REG-sm.jpg

Those low midship cabins may be sanctuaries in bad weather

but those open, airy Suites are absolute heaven, the rest of the time

051230.jpg

-everything in life is compromise :D

Yes Paul, yet the inverse is equally true...

deluxe-ocean-view-stateroom-REG-sm.jpg

Those low midship cabins may be sanctuaries in bad weather

but those open, airy Suites are absolute heaven, the rest of the time

051230.jpg

-everything in life is compromise :D

You are absolutely correct.

Obviously the new ship manufacturers made a decision that odds are greatly in favor of smooth seas over storms most of the time and thus put the most desirable suites and dining options on either end with great views. Most of the time they are indeed great :)

I was on a ship in the Mediterranean where the waves were coming up on the passengers decks. The ship was larger than the Nautica and most people were sick. The crossover from the Hook to Harwich was nasty. I stayed outside and managed the whole trip safely. Inside the smell would have gotten to me. Sailed the Insignia off the coast of Chile. Stayed midpoint in the ship and it was easy sailing. Those at the bow had problems. Sailed from Vancouver to L A. Could not wear high heels but again the middle of the ship the motion of the ocean was not too bad. Was on HAL one of the big ones, the ship was shuddering at the bow, midship much more comfortable You can get bad crossings on ferries. Go and hope for a smooth sailing.

Rough ride in stormy weather, is an unfortunate result of modern cruise ship design, with their very high superstructure, and relatively shallow draft, to enable entry to more ports of call, as well as maximize space.

In rough seas, I would much rather be aboard the long-retired QE2, which was designed as a hybrid ocean liner/cruise ship, designed to handle the worst the North Atlantic could throw at her. As originally built, she had nice classic low lines, cabins far back from the bow, and a deep draft. And not to mention, ample reserve speed to allow her Captain to circumnavigate the worst weather, and still make it to port on time...:cool:

I don't know if it's just me, but I sometimes find all cruise ships, especially the larger ones move in an unnatural way in rough seas - maybe due to the stabilisers. Having been on small boats, such as whale watching trips, they seem to roll in a more predictable way. Even The Star Clipper felt more balanced in rough seas.

Personally I like to be out in the air in rough seas, ideally walking around deck when it's still allowed. Or if not lying flat. Plus I find it helps to have something plain to eat, having an empty stomach, or rich foods is a bad idea. For me reading a book is the worst thing to do.

About 20 yrs ago wife and I were booked on HAL;s “Amersterdam”, was the final voyage for this Grand Lady, a 36 day cruise around the Horn of South America. We knew we were getting into high Seas when our Port Call to the Falklands Island was canceled. Things got very bad the further South we Traveled. Waves high enough to hit the Bridge of the Ship, at night the Ship would go up and down so hard we would actually leave our bed, by morning things were even worse. We left our Cabin and headed up to the Rest for Breakfast. Only about 10 people there, you could not walk without holding onto the rails. Most of the Crew were as sick as were the passengers, the Ship smelled terrible. All the windows were broke in the Stores and merchandise spread out into the Hallways. Most of the Dish ware and anything else that wasn’t tied down was broken. Some of the Windows in the Main dinning room were cracked. People on the High floors could not even stand up in their Cabins, they had to literally crawl to get around their Cabins. This lasted for two days until we got to Ushia. Some passengers and crew members were injured so badly they were air evaced to Buenos Aires for treatment of broken Bones. Ship stayed in Ushia for an extra full day to replenished broken items. This ship was about the size of the R Ships, but I don’t exactly remember its tonnage. Our Cabin was an inside Cabin in the low middle of the ship. We both felt a bit woozy, but never did get sick. Don’t believe any ship could have fared well with waves exceeding 50 Ft. This area of S/America has a long History of extreme stormy seas. Rest of the Cruise on the West Side of S/America was smooth and comfortable

People on the High floors could not even stand up in their Cabins, they had to literally crawl to get around their Cabins.

Many years ago my then-19-yr-old daughter and I took a Caribbean cruise, her first cruise. One night we encountered a really bad storm and our cabin was way up in the bow. It was a wild ride all night - we rolled out of bed numerous times before deciding to just sleep on the floor and had to crawl to the bathroom. Scared my poor daughter silly. Last time I ever got a cabin in the bow.

About 20 yrs ago wife and I were booked on HAL;s “Amersterdam”, was the final voyage for this Grand Lady, a 36 day cruise around the Horn of South America. We knew we were getting into high Seas when our Port Call to the Falklands Island was canceled. Things got very bad the further South we Traveled. Waves high enough to hit the Bridge of the Ship, at night the Ship would go up and down so hard we would actually leave our bed, by morning things were even worse. We left our Cabin and headed up to the Rest for Breakfast. Only about 10 people there, you could not walk without holding onto the rails. Most of the Crew were as sick as were the passengers, the Ship smelled terrible. All the windows were broke in the Stores and merchandise spread out into the Hallways. Most of the Dish ware and anything else that wasn’t tied down was broken. Some of the Windows in the Main dinning room were cracked. People on the High floors could not even stand up in their Cabins, they had to literally crawl to get around their Cabins. This lasted for two days until we got to Ushia. Some passengers and crew members were injured so badly they were air evaced to Buenos Aires for treatment of broken Bones. Ship stayed in Ushia for an extra full day to replenished broken items. This ship was about the size of the R Ships, but I don’t exactly remember its tonnage. Our Cabin was an inside Cabin in the low middle of the ship. We both felt a bit woozy, but never did get sick. Don’t believe any ship could have fared well with waves exceeding 50 Ft. This area of S/America has a long History of extreme stormy seas. Rest of the Cruise on the West Side of S/America was smooth and comfortable

When I read something like this, it always sends me to the O website to look at it's February 2019 around the horn sailing. We're booked on NCL...with a great early booking price for one of their front facing suites (price would be nearly double now). Hearing this makes a low inside or outside on O sound like the more intelligent choice. If it was only the 14 day BA to Santiago, there is no question, I would have given up the deal I have on NCL.

Thank you both ‘Stanandjim” and “Bob Brown” for the correction, it was the Rotterdam. There are just too many ‘“Dam ships” to remember them all, and 20 years makes the mind a bit hazy. But one thing I will always remember Was this trip around the Horn.

Interesting side note to this, was my wife and I were on the Sea Dream 2 and while on a Brazilian Cruise we stopped at Devil’s Island, while waiting for our shuttle back to our ship, we struck up a conversation with another Couple waiting to Board their HAL ship, they had just done basically the same around the Horn Cruise on HAL and experienced the same awful Bad Weather, they said it was very destructive to the Ship with a good part of the ships crew and passengers very ill.

Do hope none of you have to experience this type of Weather on any of your future Cruises