Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

11 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

You can download specific city maps from Google Maps onto your phone, and then use them without using any data.

BUT, a reminder for those who, like me, don't keep location on all the time, you do have to turn on LOCATION to make this work.  

I know, stating the obvious, but there is at least one person reading this who is saying, "Wow! I didn't know you could do that."

• Like 2

17 hours ago, $hip$hape said:

Okay fine. 
Since this thread is

information for new cruisers,

may I add.

Over the years,

WE have never used our phones on international cruises.

If there is an emergency, 

no need to add stress.

Enjoy your vacation.

🙂

Totally agree.

After suffering with a cell phone 24/7/365, I haven't had one since I retired 10 years ago. Been around the World 3 times, a couple of African safaris, 5 months in UK and many thousands of miles in the RV and never needed a phone. Never missed the darn thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/13/2023 at 7:09 AM, leishirsute said:

Are those T-mobile qualifying plans able to be temporary i.e. for 1 month or do you have to pay the same rate for months not traveling?  I currently pay $25/month for unlimited text, calls and data in the USA and wouldn't want to give up that price.

We have paid T-Mobile $60 a month for two lines, everything included for the last seven years. Not a penny more. Never changes. Taxes and fees go up but we still pay $60. Guaranteed price for life. Covers all but about 10 countries in the entire world. They are the traveler's cell phone company.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DrKoob said:

We have paid T-Mobile $60 a month for two lines, everything included for the last seven years. Not a penny more. Never changes. Taxes and fees go up but we still pay $60. Guaranteed price for life. Covers all but about 10 countries in the entire world. They are the traveler's cell phone company.

But what is the current rate for what you have?

• Like 1

@Peregrina651We have the same plan at the same rate. When I contacted T-Mobile recently to see if I could add faster service only when abroad (only guarantees 3G I think though most countries have faster service), they said I could. But they also told me my plan is no longer offered and a comparable would be higher $$.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Is any of the mobile phone info relevant for Viking only ships, and isn't relevant for anyone not living in US. 

No and it isn't, we have £10 per month contracts, data roaming £2 per day if required, switchable on and off if required, if all else fails, satellite calls cost £3 a minute, but we would expect to be able to use ship or hotel wi fi

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pushka said:

Is any of the mobile phone info relevant for Viking only ships, and isn't relevant for anyone not living in US. 

Excellent point!

I would like to suggest that anyone who wants to learn more about cell phone service on cruises should check out the Cruising Technology forum here on Cruise Critic: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/677-cruising-technology/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2017 at 8:40 PM, Peregrina651 said:

Boarding begins once they disembark the previous cruise. Out of your cabin by 8 am and off the ship by 9:30

@LostFan#1, because  you "reacted" to this old post (and I thank you), please note that the out of cabin time has changed. I believe that it is now 7am. Hopefully, someone who has cruised recently can confirm this for us.

Some (a lot?) of the pre-pandemic information has changed. Anything posted before May, 2021 should be confirmed. For example:

The buffet opens at 11am and stays open until 2 pm or a bit longer (if one side isn't open, check the other).

And the Pool Grill is also available, although I don't know what time it opens and it closes around 3pm. (I like the Viking burger).

On 6/11/2017 at 10:11 PM, vnb2003 said:

If it is after 2pm, check the Living Room bar on Deck 1 or Mamsen inside the Explorer's Lounge on Deck 7 forward for light sandwiches, etc.

Living Room Bar switches from Continental Breakfast to sandwiches and cookies around 11:30am and continues to serve them throughout the afternoon. Don't know what time they stop.

If you are really desperate, try room service (not sure it will work but it can't hurt to try).

Yes, it works.

MORE TIPS: There is a clothesline in the shower. Bring clothespins. We do undies daily and bring metal clippy hangers to hand them on but the bathrooms are short of hooks and other places to hang the hangers and hangers on the clothesline will all slide to the center without something to keep them apart. Metal hangers because plastic ones will break in the suitcase. I have to remember to look into some sort of temporary hook.

The clothes-string is hopeless. Everything sags to the center and then doesn't dry because of lack of air circulation. I still bring a few clothespins put have found that I prefer hooks and hangers.

Magnets don't work in the bathroom but suction cups work just great on the glass of the shower enclosure. I just tried out these hooks on our last trip. They work and are smaller and easier to pack than my first attempt at hooks. No problems with them jumping of the glass or sliding down. Test them all before you go; I found a dud in my batch.

51T9geH8QuS._SY90_.jpgHangerSpace Suction Cup Hooks, 2.5 Inches Clear PVC Suction Cups with Metal Hooks 7 LB Heavy Duty Removable Large Suction Cups for Kitchen Bathroom Shower Wall Window Glass Door - 8 Packs

Finally, magnets work best on the party walls of the cabin.

I like these because they are small but strong:

DIYMAG Strong Neodymium Magnetic Hooks, 50lbs Heavy Duty Rare Earth Magnets with Hook, Strong Corrosion Protection Facilitate Hook for Cruise, Home, Kitchen, Workplace, Office and Garage-Pack of 6

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Pushka said:

A question. We have Viking ship excursions that are 13 hours long that depart at 6.45am and arrive back around 8pm. I'm guessing the buffet will be open very early and very late on these days?

Yes. And check once onboard to get the hours.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Pushka said:

A question. We have Viking ship excursions that are 13 hours long that depart at 6.45am and arrive back around 8pm. I'm guessing the buffet will be open very early and very late on these days?

You'll have to ask.  We had one of those and the World Cafe is usually always open until 9 PM, so no issue there.  Sometimes it opens for breakfast at 6:00, 6:30, or 7:00 so best to just wait and find out.  There are many other options.  For an early excursion like yours, we always get room service.  They've always been prompt and quite good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Pushka said:

World Cafe hours are 6:00 AM - 3:00 PM and 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM. Room Service is available 24/7 as is coffee in the cafe.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

5 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

@LostFan#1, because  you "reacted" to this old post (and I thank you), please note that the out of cabin time has changed. I believe that it is now 7am. Hopefully, someone who has cruised recently can confirm this for us.

Some (a lot?) of the pre-pandemic information has changed. Anything posted before May, 2021 should be confirmed. For example:

And the Pool Grill is also available, although I don't know what time it opens and it closes around 3pm. (I like the Viking burger).

Living Room Bar switches from Continental Breakfast to sandwiches and cookies around 11:30am and continues to serve them throughout the afternoon. Don't know what time they stop.

Yes, it works.

The clothes-string is hopeless. Everything sags to the center and then doesn't dry because of lack of air circulation. I still bring a few clothespins put have found that I prefer hooks and hangers.

Magnets don't work in the bathroom but suction cups work just great on the glass of the shower enclosure. I just tried out these hooks on our last trip. They work and are smaller and easier to pack than my first attempt at hooks. No problems with them jumping of the glass or sliding down. Test them all before you go; I found a dud in my batch.

51T9geH8QuS._SY90_.jpgHangerSpace Suction Cup Hooks, 2.5 Inches Clear PVC Suction Cups with Metal Hooks 7 LB Heavy Duty Removable Large Suction Cups for Kitchen Bathroom Shower Wall Window Glass Door - 8 Packs

Finally, magnets work best on the party walls of the cabin.

I like these because they are small but strong:

DIYMAG Strong Neodymium Magnetic Hooks, 50lbs Heavy Duty Rare Earth Magnets with Hook, Strong Corrosion Protection Facilitate Hook for Cruise, Home, Kitchen, Workplace, Office and Garage-Pack of 6

Wow, Peregrina, thank you for 1) noticing I thanked you for a post and 2) aiming to rectify possible incorrect info. I am working my way through the 70+ pp of this thread since we haven't sailed Viking Ocean before. I figured some information would have changed from 2017 to now, so thank you for jump starting that for me.

I have also found your posts extremely helpful for the Pharaohs and Pyramids Viking river cruise we're taking in May (you specifically helped me realize our layover time in Toronto before returning to the US was woefully short to get through customs). 

You're a credit to Cruise Critic and such a help to the rest of us,
Debbie

• Like 8

45 minutes ago, LostFan#1 said:

I am working my way through the 70+ pp of this thread

Debbie, give up. Stick with information submitted after the "Restart" in 2021. (In other words, start here on page 45, post 1115.)

• First, it is overwhelming to start with page one.
  • Second, a lot has changed since Viking launched Oceans in 2015. Reading the old stuff is just plain confusing.
  • Third, what is most important is current information. Circle back later if you are interested in the history.

Also,to fill in gaps, read the most current threads on the following topics; the information is fresher and reflects the reality of cruising in the post-pandemic:

• drinks package (even if you don't drink or aren't considering it)
  • laundry
  • tipping
  • anything that pertains to your next Viking Ocean cruise

BTW, some of what you read in this forum applies to how things work on the River cruises. There are certain things that are the same whether you are on an ocean-liner, an expedition ship or a riverboat.

55 minutes ago, LostFan#1 said:

(you specifically helped me realize our layover time in Toronto before returning to the US was woefully short to get through customs). 

LOL. Right. If I remember correctly, I beat you over the head on that issue. 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi. I'm the person who wrote the initial "Tips" post. While it's flattering (and a but amusing) to see that people are still using it, I never intended it to be an ask any question type of post that would continue on forever.  I no longer read many of the posts, plus I only cruise on Viking maybe every third or fourth cruise. There's are no doubt many things in there that are no longer true. Also, it seems many people have gravitated to Facebook pages hosted by travel agents to get information from readers of those posts. So for all these reasons I'm thinking maybe I should try to delete or close the posts to comments, assuming that's possible without asking an admin to do it. Thanks to people who have posted, however, and carry on, especially Peregrina!

On 12/13/2022 at 7:47 PM, Cruisingin2223 said:

What is Viking's policy about CBD gummies? I take these for sleep sometimes. Any insight would be helpful. Traveling in may different countries. TIA

Try Melatonin. I take 10mg gummy every night and I sleep like a baby. I hope it's not a controlled substance because I was relying on it to help me get over the jet lag while on the cruise.

2 hours ago, roothy123 said:

Hi. I'm the person who wrote the initial "Tips" post. While it's flattering (and a but amusing) to see that people are still using it, I never intended it to be an ask any question type of post that would continue on forever.  I no longer read many of the posts, plus I only cruise on Viking maybe every third or fourth cruise. There's are no doubt many things in there that are no longer true. Also, it seems many people have gravitated to Facebook pages hosted by travel agents to get information from readers of those posts. So for all these reasons I'm thinking maybe I should try to delete or close the posts to comments, assuming that's possible without asking an admin to do it. Thanks to people who have posted, however, and carry on, especially Peregrina!

Hi @roothy123. When it’s social media & CC , you don’t own the thread so unless an admin sees this and decides otherwise, you can’t delete or close the postings. I would think people should know that posts pre-Covid are no longer accurate. And I doubt that most folk will start from the beginning anyway. Thanks for getting the ball rolling!