Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

On 8/24/2023 at 2:30 PM, charmed1959 said:

I wouldn’t call Viking and ask.  My husband has an infection in a knee replacement.  They wouldn’t let us postpone the cruise, not would they let us substitute anyone for him.  If he didn’t show up they would charge $8.5K for a singles supplement, though we already paid for the room.

So then he said he would go but maybe he could bring a scooter.  They said absolutely not.  Wheelchair? No.  They told us he couldn’t even bring his walker, which they did not ask any dimensions.  We thought perhaps we misunderstood, so we had our Travel agent call and ask again about the walker.  They again said no, and now said he couldn’t board without a note from his doctor saying he could cruise.  Now it was in our records.

However, once on the cruise there were indeed folks with walkers, a few wheelchairs, and at least one electric wheelchair.  I asked one of the people with walkers if they had by chance asked about bringing one, and they said no.  

So don’t ask.  Just bring what you need.  Once onboard the crew does everything to help out.  They carried his food at the World Cafe and reserved the front seat in the coaches so he could get on.

Better to beg forgiveness than ask for permission? 

On 8/31/2023 at 5:54 PM, Beachlover1989 said:

Please share your Viking cruise checklist!

ok -- folks- here you go.  Have attached it in two formats -- csv so you can open it in whatever spreadsheet app you happen to use (excel, sheets, etc) and in pdf so you can view content lost when saved as csv.  Have fun with it!  I use a mobile app called ToDoCloud that allows me to create projects containing both tasks and checklists (a kind of a task).

ToDo Planning for Booked Cruises (template).pdf ToDo Planning for Booked Cruises (template).csv

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

a post a while back (I'm just now catching up) wondered about crowds at the pool especially in the afternoon as excursions returned and chair hogs in general. We recently returned from a Norway/Iceland trip and I snapped this on deck after a late excursion ....

image.thumb.png.54a1d40bc3e0a069604421cff8b85087.png

I took the shot to send to a friend afraid to sail small ships as they insist they must be MORE crowded due to small pool etc etc>>>>> go figure.

The MOST crowded I ever saw the pool area was during the 'BlueNose' Ceremony for folks who'd made their first crossing of the Arctic Circle .... like Mrs here: 

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Ray4Fun said:

After 60 plus days on VO, The most we have ever seen at/in the pool was 4 or 5 folks. 

On warm or nice weather cruises we see more folks at the infinity pool and those loungers fuller.  Hardly ever see people around the main pool and never saved loungers there.  The only full or illegally saved loungers are the outward or window facing ones.  Folks love to read, watch the sea and nap there.

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, formernuke said:

On a Panamá Canal cruise in February the main pool area was frequently pretty full. Depends on the cruise 

Maybe it is the Panama Canal itinerary!   We had the same situation on our Canal cruise a year ago.  The main pool loungers were packed and it was actually difficult at times to be in the pool with so many people in it.  Go figure!

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Maybe it is the Panama Canal itinerary!   We had the same situation on our Canal cruise a year ago.  The main pool loungers were packed and it was actually difficult at times to be in the pool with so many people in it.  Go figure!

Itinerary and the passengers it attracts.

After living in a beach town for a decade I have no desire to sit around a pool all day. To me this is the most boring thing I can think of. Personally I would never choose a Caribbean cruise. Others are attracted to this area specifically for the beaches, so I can see why the pool is such a popular attraction on these itineraries.

I find the idea of traversing the canal something I’d like to experience, but the rest of it is not appealing to me at all.

To each, their own.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Itinerary and the passengers it attracts.

After living in a beach town for a decade I have no desire to sit around a pool all day. To me this is the most boring thing I can think of. Personally I would never choose a Caribbean cruise. Others are attracted to this area specifically for the beaches, so I can see why the pool is such a popular attraction on these itineraries.

I find the idea of traversing the canal something I’d like to experience, but the rest of it is not appealing to me at all.

To each, their own.

Agree with you!  The Canal traversing was great, as were a couple ports, but the long haul of sea days from Costa Rica to LA put a bit of a damper on the 17 day cruise FLL-LA.

As you said, each to his own!  We have a Rome to Athens cruise in February coming up with all port days plus 3 days pre- and 4 days post.  Will have to get in better shape for that one!!  Having done that itinerary, you know what I mean!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Agree with you!  The Canal traversing was great, as were a couple ports, but the long haul of sea days from Costa Rica to LA put a bit of a damper on the 17 day cruise FLL-LA.

As you said, each to his own!  We have a Rome to Athens cruise in February coming up with all port days plus 3 days pre- and 4 days post.  Will have to get in better shape for that one!!  Having done that itinerary, you know what I mean!

Lol Yes, Bridget wore a Fitbit and we were clocking in at 8-10 miles on some days, not to mention walking to the top of the Ancient Greek theater at Epidaurus, the largest still in use.

IMG_9465.thumb.jpeg.201fbbdc1fae7cbd95a600efb013d9ca.jpeg

Which reminds me, we need to start “training” for our Patagonia adventure.

• Like 3

On 9/11/2023 at 12:35 PM, CCWineLover said:

LOL Kent, I added some leg strength and balance exercises as I am determined to be able to walk the wall in Dubrovnik and up to the Acropolis.   BTW I think we are going to ditch the Viking Post and stay at a boutique hotel near the Plaka instead.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

LOL Kent, I added some leg strength and balance exercises as I am determined to be able to walk the wall in Dubrovnik and up to the Acropolis.   BTW I think we are going to ditch the Viking Post and stay at a boutique hotel near the Plaka instead.

The challenge of walking the walls in Dubrovnik will be the heat! But well worth it!

good decision re. Staying near the Plaka. Have fun!

• Like 1