Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

8 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

No, he’s on board in 8 days’ time 😉

Yes but if he hasn’t found the time on short cruises to leave the bar at the Aquavit yet, I am hoping he will on his WC…or maybe it will become a badge of honor and he won’t ever have one. 😂

While still on the subject of Mamsen’s, we were upset that they would not serve us herring at lunch time - they serve herring only at breakfast, and the World Cafe does not serve it at all. 

So we got creative … we went to Mamsen’s before the 11am breakfast closing, got plates of thinly sliced pumpernickel bread, herring and made our own open sandwiches with herring. Luckily the Explorer bar was open so … herring and snaps!!

At 10:50 am both times … (I’m half Danish, by the way) …

E3801292-05D0-408A-8E23-AE6BF6E4A68A.jpeg

7D7C5A0E-B0DE-49A9-83CA-F227415ABB61.jpeg

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 7

12 hours ago, les37b said:

With so many devices needing charging, (approx 7 different cameras alone)...... I'd certainly question that there will be enough power outlets.

3 DJI Osmo Action cam (4K for timelapse) can be USB charged if its USB C

1 DJI Pocket cam (ship tour videos) can be USB charged if its USB C

1 Sony Camcorder (general use)

1 Canon 6D (big boy camera)

1 Sony camera (wifes camera)

My phone Can be USB charged

wifes phone can be USB charged

ipad pro

laptop

4 usb power packs

1 USB block (charging 6 USB devices - hopefully OK)

DJI Mavic drone - if at a safe to fly country location visited.

My carry on case is a beacon for security  each trip - so many cables, mounts and gizmos! Never fails to get opened - which of course is fine and expected.

We used power bricks. Mine can handle up to 4 devices (2 USB-C and 2 regular USB). 

7 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Yes but if he hasn’t found the time on short cruises to leave the bar at the Aquavit yet, I am hoping he will on his WC…or maybe it will become a badge of honor and he won’t ever have one. 😂

Are you allowed to leave the bar?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I guess it's a tip: 

If you order a BLT from the grill near the pool (forget what it's called), you need to specify that it's a sandwich.  My spouse asked if the man at the grill if they could make a BLT for him, since they had bacon there for another sandwich.  He was asked what it was.  He replied that it was  bacon, lettuce and tomato.  That's exactly what he got - bacon, lettuce and tomato on a plate!  But of course they gave him bread when he explained that a BLT is a sandwich.  A day or two later the grill man called him the BLT man.....and made him a BLT sandwich without prompting. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

And perhaps a real tip, at least in my experience: 

In Iceland, the wifi can be a little shaky, especially when you're deep within a fjord.  In those cases, I used one of the computers for cruisers -- near the Explorer's Desk on deck 1.  I had much better luck doing that, plus there's a printer available.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Twitchly said:

We used power bricks. Mine can handle up to 4 devices (2 USB-C and 2 regular USB). 

Me too.... I have 4 of those too, which also need to be charging. (The action cams when fully charged, only last 2 hours and have a portable charger attached at all times when I know it will be a long session.)

All nicely packed in the fire/explosion proof cases ready for the plane.

6 hours ago, les37b said:

Me too.... I have 4 of those too, which also need to be charging. (The action cams when fully charged, only last 2 hours and have a portable charger attached at all times when I know it will be a long session.)

I think I used the wrong terminology. We bring these (though ours have 2 USB-A plugs and 2 USB-C). No extension cord needed.

4B02A64D-8C3C-4CCB-9734-E0604C395503.jpeg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, les37b said:

I sure hope that you are not putting lithium batteries into any kind of luggage that will go in the aircraft's cargo hold.  Quite illegal.

• Like 2

On 8/19/2021 at 9:01 AM, bluesea777 said:

While still on the subject of Mamsen’s, we were upset that they would not serve us herring at lunch time - they serve herring only at breakfast, and the World Cafe does not serve it at all. 

So we got creative … we went to Mamsen’s before the 11am breakfast closing, got plates of thinly sliced pumpernickel bread, herring and made our own open sandwiches with herring. Luckily the Explorer bar was open so … herring and snaps!!

At 10:50 am both times … (I’m half Danish, by the way) …

E3801292-05D0-408A-8E23-AE6BF6E4A68A.jpeg

7D7C5A0E-B0DE-49A9-83CA-F227415ABB61.jpeg

You are indeed creative. I had the waffle and herring for breakfast on my  July sailing.

When on the Venus in Oct , I will have liverposti for lunch  plus the success cake  on my sea day. 

I love Mamsen deli.

• Like 2

On 8/20/2021 at 6:10 PM, FlyerTalker said:

I sure hope that you are not putting lithium batteries into any kind of luggage that will go in the aircraft's cargo hold.  Quite illegal.

As long as we are talking "illegal," Viking has a list of items that are prohibited on board the ship. http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/mvj/onboard-prohibited-list.pdf

Among them are the following electrical items:

•  Extension cords (USB and laptop charging cables are exempt)
•  Any electrical device that produces heat (curling irons okay to bring), such as:
     - Clothes irons, including steam irons
     - Hot plates or heating kettles
     - Electrical air humidifiers & refreshers
     - Heating pads
Any electrical device with a surge protector

The most important one on the list not to ever, ever plug into the ships electrical system is the last one -- even if nothing else is plugged into it. They will explode. As I understand it, surge protectors are designed to work with the A/C electrical power that is fed into our homes. Ships generate their own electrical power and it is not compatible with the surge protectors.

On 8/20/2021 at 11:10 PM, FlyerTalker said:

I'm well aware of the rules and why I have purchased the fire and explosive  proof cases which anyone carrying lithium power packs should use in carry on luggage.

Hi All!

A new question for you. We’re Brits holding back for a while on booking a Oct/Nov first cruise with Viking until we know we’re going to be allowed in, to, eg. Italy (currently five days self-isolating required). Anyway….I’ve been watching a very nice couple on Youtube describing how it is on one of the Viking Malta cruises, and there is this awful MUZAK playing in the background. Tell me, does this foul noise follow you everywhere or is there a muzak free zone where one can sit and read without such pollution? As you can tell, it’s a real hate of mine….dealbreaker possibly…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, claranda said:

Hi All!

A new question for you. We’re Brits holding back for a while on booking a Oct/Nov first cruise with Viking until we know we’re going to be allowed in, to, eg. Italy (currently five days self-isolating required). Anyway….I’ve been watching a very nice couple on Youtube describing how it is on one of the Viking Malta cruises, and there is this awful MUZAK playing in the background. Tell me, does this foul noise follow you everywhere or is there a muzak free zone where one can sit and read without such pollution? As you can tell, it’s a real hate of mine….dealbreaker possibly…

I was just on Viking Venus and I don’t recall any Muzak. All music was live throughout the ship. 

2 hours ago, claranda said:

Hi All!

The youtube video you're referring to was filmed in the Explorer's Lounge upper floor. We relaxed in this area many times but was never bothered by the music. It was never as loud as it appears in that video and I'm sure you could ask the crew to turn it down or even off, if needed. As Rizello said, the ship has a lot of live piano and string music in different locations.

2 hours ago, claranda said:

Hi All!

This was a big concern of mine, too. I had seen some videos where the Muzak was intrusively loud and persistent. 

When we cruised on the Sky a few years ago, there was piped-in music playing in some locations during the day. (Live musicians replaced it in the evenings.) It fortunately wasn’t loud and for the most part I found I didn’t mind it. We found silence in the Wintergarden (except during afternoon tea, which had live musicians) and, as I recall, in the seating areas alongside it. 

It turned out to be a non-issue for me. But I’ve heard the volume can be dependent on whoever is manning a particular ship, so there may be room for discussion with staff if you find it too loud. Maybe contact tellus@viking for confirmation?

4 hours ago, claranda said:

Hi All!

It’s fairly loud when the Explorer’s lounge is empty. I heard a Muzak version of “Smells Like Teen Spirit” that I can’t unhear. Shudder.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Harrietq said:

It’s fairly loud when the Explorer’s lounge is empty. I heard a Muzak version of “Smells Like Teen Spirit” that I can’t unhear. Shudder.

Gaaah!

Reminds me of when I was in a department store years ago and found a rack of Jerry Garcia ties. Talk about cognitive dissonance. 

• Haha 2

On 8/22/2021 at 5:36 AM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

The place where you depart the ship each day can change.  If you need to know the location, it's posted on the electronic sign board in the elevators each day.  There's also an elevator button to push to take you to the correct deck. 

I'm planning to be a new Viking cruiser. My TA told me that the gangway can be on either side of the ship on Viking, as opposed to predictably being on the starboard side on HAL ships I've sailed. Can someone confirm this? I love to be on the dock side to watch the docking and loading activities.