Haven Free at Sea Promotion Extra Charges

SoCA6ft5

I haven't noticed suite prices going up. In 2014 I had a H6 on Breakaway for $5600 which didn't include any alcohol or specialty restaurants . This year I'm paying $5200 for a H5 which includes the alcohol package and three specialty restaurants. Is anyone seriously complaining that unlimited drinks for two people for 7 days is costing $223???

The H5 for the first week of Sept. 2017 on the Breakaway is now priced at $7,010. Oh..and I forgot to add the new service fees!

The fair value is whatever people are willing to pay. I also am looking elsewhere as the suites I like to cruise in (H3 in Jewel class) have gone up 40-50%. Because of the popularity of the haven concept, other cruise lines have increased the perks for suite passengers. Since I like the medium size ship, I will be trying out a Grand Suite on Vision OTS. 5 day cruise with their recent sale was under 2k for 2 including fees and travel insurance. We will pay for our drinks since we would not even come close to the price of a drinks package and we will probably buy the ultimate dining plan which I think is about $175 a piece. I will continue to watch the prices on NCL and see if the market drives them down. Time will tell.

If and when folks stop booking the Haven and suites on NCL due to these perks fees and the recent increase in pricing, NCL will change back. As long as they make more money with these changes, they'll stick with them. As a publically-traded company, that's their reason for existing. The choice of a cruise line is not a religious decision and to moan about these changes on CC doesn't change a thing.

If and when folks stop booking the Haven and suites on NCL due to these perks fees and the recent increase in pricing, NCL will change back. As long as they make more money with these changes, they'll stick with them. As a publically-traded company, that's their reason for existing. The choice of a cruise line is not a religious decision and to moan about these changes on CC doesn't change a thing.

Actually, they will continue to deal them through the bid system. With the few noobs and unsuspecting folks paying even higher they will average out to be what they should cost, which is maybe 8-10% higher than last year.

They won't miss us. I do not expect it to change. In fact it will get worse.

Remember when KS pulled the Garden Villas from any type of upsell, actually letting it sail empty, to not alienate retail buyers? It was because a family was bragging all over the ship, even to the other GV who paid full price. FDR does not care. He loves this program. And the folks bidding do too. Odd man out is the suite cruiser who pays full price.

I am not moaning. I am sharing ideas on a forum. Like I said I will look for something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by DMH15

I remember back when there were no promos to be charged a service charge. I sailed in a suite and paid for my drinks in full plus a gratuity. I would rather pay a service charge than have a big alcohol and specialty dinning charge. I have never booked any cruise based on the promos, it has been nice to receive them though.

The $450 in extra charges are really "down in the noise" when booking a suite. Was it appreciated when it was included, definitely. Would it sway a decision, definitely not.

So my wife and I don't drink. Can we decline the drinks package if we're booking a suite, or are we forced to pay $199 each for a drinks package we won't use?

So my wife and I don't drink. Can we decline the drinks package if we're booking a suite, or are we forced to pay $199 each for a drinks package we won't use?

You can decline or accept soda package.

Hmm...having a hard time wondering why anyone would care all that much about a few hundred dollars extra for a cruise that is costing them over $7K. I can't even imagine paying that much per person for a cruise....but if I could afford it, I don't think I'd be stressing over a bonus change in pricing.

Haha, I love how you say "I can't imagine" paying that much, while also saying "hard time wondering" why anyone would care. Uh...because it doesn't involve you. That's why.

A hundred dollars, is a hundred dollars. I am still paying on a cruise I took in February, because I decided (without regret) to splurge on a suite. Just because I was in a suite however, doesn't mean I am wealthy. I hardly used either the ultimate drink package or the unlimited dining. This has always been a perk for suites, not paying those additional charges, and it was fair because those in suites are already paying a premium. You are not stressing, because you seem to only care about what you would or would not do.

Interesting thread. I have some random thoughts on this...

I have sailed in the Haven/Courtyard multiple times in the past between 2009 and 2013...took a break while waiting for the youngest child to age into the kids club. Now they are both old enough for the kids club and we have a sailing booked in the fall on the Breakaway in an Aft Suite. Last night I booked Escape to Bermuda in spring 2018 so got the promo with no services charges...I would have been kicking myself if I missed that.

I have recently jumped back onto NCL cruise critic and of course it seems like things have changed some in the last few years on NCL- i.e. Cagney's is now a la carte instead of a single fee, different frequent cruiser groups and rewards etc. Also, the upgrade advantage program seemed interesting. Not going to lie, I got some sweet upsells from the fairy in the past from lower level suites to haven suites and sometimes booked Haven outright. So I don't begrudge those getting those deals now-in fact I think it is awesome that people get to experience the Haven.

I surmise that the problem now with the bidding system is that now is that it is so much more "public" and thus seems so much more "common" rather than a seemingly rare and random and lucky thing than it was in the past when the fairy called. (I bet the numbers upsold or up-bid now probably aren't that different than in the past). I get why this is bothersome to folks and prompting some to look elsewhere.

I do agree NCL may see some backlash from this system or people who start booking lower level suites and hope for the bidding to work out. I was contemplating booking H4s for the upcoming cruise and decided that I would book the aft and maybe get to bid for less than rack rate on the H4 in the future. Time will tell if people choosing like I did hurts their bottom line or not....or if people leaving for MSC hurts their bottom line.

Finally, I still am hoping I will LOVE NCL just as much as I did in previous years. For reference, my family just recently sailed on the Disney Dream for 4 nights in a 1 bedroom suite. I booked the cheapest off peak sailing on that ship about a year in advance. The fall Breakaway 7 day is actually the same price as Disney for the 4 day. Additionally, we spent a good deal of money on board on drinks during the day and on specialty dining on Disney and in the past on NCL-I won't be spending much on the Breakaway because of the promotions.

Disney was wonderful- no complaints! However, we have decided that NCL Haven is a better choice for our family and way way way more bang for the buck than Disney--their suite prices are insane and I think NCLs suite product is better. Very much looking forward to getting back on one of their ships!

From various sailings and watching the number of unsold suites prior to suddenly being listed as "sold out" a month or less before sailing. It must be nice to not notice the suite asking price difference over the last year or two. You and I differ in our recent suite booking approach, I was with you and always booked a suite until recently. I don't enjoy the upsell/bidding game and I'll agree that being in a suite is a requisite for me, that is why I have also moved elsewhere.

We will probably start looking elsewhere as well. At least see what is out there.

Bummer that they just made this change. We're past NCL suite cruisers from the Gem class, did one Breakaway trip, and didn't love it (Haven was nice though), and did a bunch of Disney sailings since. We decided on the Escape out of NY for Bermuda since it seems more appealing than the Anthem, with much better suite perks. We booked today, thought those charges were annoying, and now Just saw if we booked yesterday, we could've avoided them. A bummer for sure, but won't really change our decision.

I totally agree with this.

No suite, no cruise.

The problem is that NCL have raised the prices on their suites a lot. I guess they feel that they shall try to sell the suites for a superhigh price and what they can't sell they sell for lower prices with upsell.

We are not interested in paying the new superhigh prices so we have decided to try MSC instead.

Looks like we will also look into the MSC as well.

We will probably start looking elsewhere as well. At least see what is out there.

Don't you think you get what you pay for? Keep thinking of the Gambe MSC review. If you've not watched it, you should... Maybe there is a reason their suite prices are so much lower? Just saying. Couldn't talk myself into Yacht Club after doing my homework.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't you think you get what you pay for? Keep thinking of the Gambe MSC review. If you've not watched it, you should... Maybe there is a reason their suite prices are so much lower? Just saying. Couldn't talk myself into Yacht Club after doing my homework.

I have seen bad reviews about NCL too but that hasn't scared me and all my NCL cruises have been great.

Maybe there is a reason why MSC is so much cheaper. If we don't like our cruise we can use the $3500 we saved for a second vacation this summer.

Gambee was not in the YC on MSC. Also, the talk about his bad review on MSC is possibly due to how he felt they dealt with his mother falling somewhere on the ship.

There have been positive MSC Yacht Club reviews/comparisons.

Don't ya love the way some people comment on suites who do not cruise in suites? That is like me telling you about a restaurant I had never been to.

I do wonder if you get what you pay for, but.....NCL has always given us great experiences in the suites, including before the all inclusive packages and the super increased prices. We have always been happy with NCL.

So, my thought is, why not try the MSC Yacht Club? Maybe the prices are low now to entice the NCL suite guests to give it a try?

the suites themselves arent as large or as nice as NCL haven rooms (although some NCL haven rooms are pretty small). i understand the entertainment is good, but not as good as NCL. but at the end of hte day its all what you make of it.

we can spend $4k on a balcony with NCL or $4k for yacht club on MSC. we want to try it once. how bad can it be? its not affecting our vacation budget as the costs are the same but one gives us many, many perks. cant discount the value of the thermal suite being included at no charge as well, for YC guests.

I think we'll try MSC's Seaside for Fall 2018. The suite I'm looking at comes with multiple amenities for a price competitive with the old NCL pricing scale. I also just read that they have worked to address some of the previous complaints regarding dining and customer service! This ship was built with the goal of competing in the U.S. market. Why not give it a try?

Well I for one can say that this change is welcome. One of my biggest gripes with NCL was that for a non drinker, i still paid for the UBP in a higher fare. My alcohol was included but not speciality coffee, canned soda and water bottles. I'm sorry but it was a real slap in the face to be given an UBP and still be charged for every single drink I consumed.

yes they can still charge the higher fares but at least the UBP and the fee it attracts, which quite honestly is probably just to cover alcohol expenses, is now an additional expense for everyone who takes it as a perk. This UBP has at least finally come full circle. It took a few years but sounds like NCL has finally figured out a way for the UBP perk if chosen, to pay for itself in fees for all. Now they can play with UBP choices and fees to make a better profit on alcohol sales. Fine with me. I know alcohol sales can make or break profits and I'm happy to have someone else pick up that tab. At least this package isn't rolled into suite pricing anymore.

It was very difficult to get suite pricing sans, "free" UBP in a suite. I had to stalk other countries websites and wait for an NCL Asia sale 50% off second guest no perks for my last Haven booking. Perhaps now that the perks attract fees in suites they'll be more liberal with the 50% off second guest sales for USA bookings.

I do wonder if you get what you pay for, but.....NCL has always given us great experiences in the suites, including before the all inclusive packages and the super increased prices. We have always been happy with NCL.

So, my thought is, why not try the MSC Yacht Club? Maybe the prices are low now to entice the NCL suite guests to give it a try?

Part of it is due to the suites being smaller than NCL, especially higher-end NCL suites.

Your suite price isn't going down any, you're still in the same situation, it's just that others have to pay more. I don't see that as a victory?

Well I for one can say that this change is welcome. One of my biggest gripes with NCL was that for a non drinker, i still paid for the UBP in a higher fare. My alcohol was included but not speciality coffee, canned soda and water bottles. I'm sorry but it was a real slap in the face to be given an UBP and still be charged for every single drink I consumed.

yes they can still charge the higher fares but at least the UBP and the fee it attracts, which quite honestly is probably just to cover alcohol expenses, is now an additional expense for everyone who takes it as a perk. This UBP has at least finally come full circle. It took a few years but sounds like NCL has finally figured out a way for the UBP perk if chosen, to pay for itself in fees for all. Now they can play with UBP choices and fees to make a better profit on alcohol sales. Fine with me. I know alcohol sales can make or break profits and I'm happy to have someone else pick up that tab. At least this package isn't rolled into suite pricing anymore.

It was very difficult to get suite pricing sans, "free" UBP in a suite. I had to stalk other countries websites and wait for an NCL Asia sale 50% off second guest no perks for my last Haven booking. Perhaps now that the perks attract fees in suites they'll be more liberal with the 50% off second guest sales for USA bookings.