Haven Free at Sea Promotion Extra Charges

SoCA6ft5

Well I for one can say that this change is welcome. One of my biggest gripes with NCL was that for a non drinker, i still paid for the UBP in a higher fare. My alcohol was included but not speciality coffee, canned soda and water bottles. I'm sorry but it was a real slap in the face to be given an UBP and still be charged for every single drink I consumed.

yes they can still charge the higher fares but at least the UBP and the fee it attracts, which quite honestly is probably just to cover alcohol expenses, is now an additional expense for everyone who takes it as a perk. This UBP has at least finally come full circle. It took a few years but sounds like NCL has finally figured out a way for the UBP perk if chosen, to pay for itself in fees for all. Now they can play with UBP choices and fees to make a better profit on alcohol sales. Fine with me. I know alcohol sales can make or break profits and I'm happy to have someone else pick up that tab. At least this package isn't rolled into suite pricing anymore.

It was very difficult to get suite pricing sans, "free" UBP in a suite. I had to stalk other countries websites and wait for an NCL Asia sale 50% off second guest no perks for my last Haven booking. Perhaps now that the perks attract fees in suites they'll be more liberal with the 50% off second guest sales for USA bookings.

I would agree with you if fares went down, but they didn't. The same room for two on June 5th was now $200 more on June 6th if we chose the UBP.

For us it's a tough choice since we're light drinkers. We looked at the menus and did the math, and it looks like we'll spend between $150-250 on drinks for the 7 days. We'll pay the $200 and just encourage ourselves to drink more. Ha!

I would never say that it doesn't make a difference because the Haven suites already cost a fortune. I've only stayed in the Haven once, hopefully twice in a couple weeks. It wasn't just the Rockefellers in there. I didn't see that at all. It was a lot of working class people that just saved up to have a good vacation. Saving that couple hundred on the promo grats could be the deciding factor in someone making the upgrade straight up as opposed to trying to win the bid. You still have to factor in the few hundred to tip the butler, steward, and concierge.

Don't you think you get what you pay for? Keep thinking of the Gambe MSC review. If you've not watched it, you should... Maybe there is a reason their suite prices are so much lower? Just saying. Couldn't talk myself into Yacht Club after doing my homework.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too much fluff in his reviews for me to sit through. Was MSC that bad? You have to remember that it is subjective. You couldn't pay me to sail Carnival again, but some folks love it.

I really wanted to try MSC, but the lack of a 2-bedroom / 2-bathroom suite is a deal breaker for us, and I'm only interested in the Yacht Club.
For Seaside when I booked, 2 Deluxe Suites in the Yacht Club was less that 1 H4 Haven Suite on Getaway. The H4 has a nicer bathroom but if booking for 4 people, I'd take 2 suites over 1. I ended up with the Royal Suite which was also less than the H4.

Too much fluff in his reviews for me to sit through. Was MSC that bad? You have to remember that it is subjective. You couldn't pay me to sail Carnival again, but some folks love it.

Ok, Not trying to be the downer, just honest. I did lots of research, Gambe's only part because he was not YC. My 1st YC YouTube video showed dancing waiters carrying silver platters of baked Alaska, decked with sparklers, being delivered to clapping formal clad guests. Way too 80's throwback. Just nowhere in my wheelhouse of "luxury". Making wait staff dance should be categorized as a human rights violation, IMO!!! Maybe formal wear on a cruise too... so, just didn't seem my kind of lux.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok, Not trying to be the downer, just honest. I did lots of research, Gambe's only part because he was not YC. My 1st YC YouTube video showed dancing waiters carrying silver platters of baked Alaska, decked with sparklers, being delivered to clapping formal clad guests. Way too 80's throwback. Just nowhere in my wheelhouse of "luxury". Making wait staff dance should be categorized as a human rights violation, IMO!!! Maybe formal wear on a cruise too... so, just didn't seem my kind of lux.

That's not fair, there was more. I'd check out reviews of entertainment on MSC. we travel with a teen and A 20 y/o DDs and NCL just strikes the right balance of entertainment for us all (letting me enjoy the company of my kids!). I didn't find that in my MSC research. But, I defer to those who have actually sailed. Mine was only extensive research. Couldn't pull the trigger, even with low suite prices.

It's the principle of it. We are paying a lot for the Haven. We shouldn't have that thrown in on top of it! It's not "stressing" ... just voicing displeasure.

PRECISELY! Whether you pay for the Haven every time you cruise or save and scrimp and can only book it for special occasions has nothing to do with why a person would be annoyed about this change... which I surely am.

It seems like they've been chiseling away at the suite perks over the last few years and this could be the last straw for some. I will certainly factor these extra charges in going forward and for the first time are intrigued by all the comments about MSC.

Separate from these new suite charges, I also dislike how the UDP used to be for every night of the cruise in the spring of 2015... and then later that year (or 2016, I forget), they started limiting that to be 3 meals on week long cruise cruise. I bring this up because as a suite passenger getting all the free promos, I kind of considered it be part of the overall suite experience.

And now this? Irritating and very disappointing, NCL! It all starts to add up...

Edited by lgdesign

Your suite price isn't going down any, you're still in the same situation, it's just that others have to pay more. I don't see that as a victory?

NCL does reduce cost of suites in other markets. They regularly offer 50% off second guest in lieu of UBP or other perks. Up till now they've included UBP and sdp fees in suites for all USA bookings. Now that the choice of the perks attracts the additional fees I'm hopeful they'll offer opportunities at times to book a suite at a lower price in lieu of the perks, like they do in other markets. Regardless a dollar is a dollar anyway you look at it. They are now at least getting additional dollars from suite passengers who choose the perks and not mandating all who want to book on the USA site pay for the UBP.

From the perspective of a non drinker the UBP inclusion and the exclusion of many non alcoholic beverages is pretty strange. The Haven experience is equivalent to premium lines. Sure the more upscale choices also include alcohol but they also include canned soda, water bottles, specialty coffee, fresh squeezed juice. Had NCL UBP for suites gone this route I'd be quite satisfied. But to charge me those insane prices and supposedly give me an ultimate beverage package with free drinks and yet charge me for every single drink I consumed because it didn't have a shot of liquor in it was offensive.

I know we all pay more today for a cruise that has perks bundled but at least I have the choice of not paying the extra for the UBP extra fees.

They've been chiseling away at the suite perks steadily over the last few years and this seems like the last straw for some.

What suite perks have they chiseled away? I've only been cruising in suites for 4 years and haven't noticed any changes (maybe it was something I wasn't interested in and just didn't notice).

Just cruise on the cruise line you want. NCL is setting pricing based on demand. MSC is setting pricing based on demand. Obviously, MSC is trying expand their footprint in the US market. If that's successful, their prices will go up. You can't blame NCL for reacting to the market. As a stock holder, I'd be mad if they didn't.

Edited by CruisinHarvey

What suite perks have they chiseled away? I've only been cruising in suites for 4 years and haven't noticed any changes (maybe it was something I wasn't interested in and just didn't notice).

To clarify, my original sentence started with "It seems like..." and I shouldn't have written "few years". I've forgotten how long I've been cruising with NCL, ha-ha :)

It's been incrementental in my opinion... little things that I experienced over the course of the last 10 years or so. 2 bedroom non-Haven suites used to get three bottles of liquor included... stuff like that. Fewer selections at breakfast and lunch in Cagney's/Moderno... it's been a slow creep that wouldn't necessarily be obvious over the last 4 years.

Admittedly, first world problems... but worth noting if anyone's keeping track of these things from a value perspective.

From the perspective of a non drinker the UBP inclusion and the exclusion of many non alcoholic beverages is pretty strange. The Haven experience is equivalent to premium lines. Sure the more upscale choices also include alcohol but they also include canned soda, water bottles, specialty coffee, fresh squeezed juice. Had NCL UBP for suites gone this route I'd be quite satisfied. But to charge me those insane prices and supposedly give me an ultimate beverage package with free drinks and yet charge me for every single drink I consumed because it didn't have a shot of liquor in it was offensive.

+1. I don't know if we would have booked with NCL for our next cruise if we would have paid the gratuity on the beverage package. DH rarely drinks. I drink wine and since we will be traveling through wine country to embark, we will probably bring bottles on board and pay corkage. Things my husband would drink... bottled water, sparkling water in cabin and specialty coffees....not included.

Just cruise on the cruise line you want. NCL is setting pricing based on demand. MSC is setting pricing based on demand. Obviously, MSC is trying expand their footprint in the US market. If that's successful, their prices will go up. You can't blame NCL for reacting to the market. As a stock holder, I'd be mad if they didn't.

I don't blame them for "reacting to the market"... it will just be interesting to see how this choice impacts, if at all, bookings from NCL's die hard "suite or no cruise" customers. I for one will do more looking around even though I'm Platinum... fortunately, looking, unlike the so-called "Free at Sea" promos really is free.

"The only constant is change"... especially in the cruise industry... Stay tuned ;)

MSC is setting pricing based on demand. Obviously, MSC is trying expand their footprint in the US market. If that's successful, their prices will go up.
Agreed.

However, it seems that NCL Haven guests are either those who book full price or those who bid/upsell. Obviously, some do both.

If NCL loses the "full price" customers, the "bid" customers will pay the price to fill the gap. If the bargain isn't there, NCL could lose those customers, too.

In the meantime, I'll be one of those people taking advantage of MSC's lower prices. NCL hasn't lost me but I'm "playing the field". ;p

I would agree with you if fares went down, but they didn't. The same room for two on June 5th was now $200 more on June 6th if we chose the UBP.

For us it's a tough choice since we're light drinkers. We looked at the menus and did the math, and it looks like we'll spend between $150-250 on drinks for the 7 days. We'll pay the $200 and just encourage ourselves to drink more. Ha!

You need to also add the free UBP gratuities to that.

Agreed.

However, it seems that NCL Haven guests are either those who book full price or those who bid/upsell. Obviously, some do both.

If NCL loses the "full price" customers, the "bid" customers will pay the price to fill the gap. If the bargain isn't there, NCL could lose those customers, too.

In the meantime, I'll be one of those people taking advantage of MSC's lower prices. NCL hasn't lost me but I'm "playing the field". ;p

Re: Playing the field. Me too... next time!

Two weeks ago, I booked a 16 day Australia/New Zealand in the last Non-Haven 2 bedroom family suite for that sailing and am glad to have gotten in before they made this decision (also the price had dropped by $300 after not moving up or down for 6 months.).

I really wanted to try MSC, but the lack of a 2-bedroom / 2-bathroom suite is a deal breaker for us, and I'm only interested in the Yacht Club.

That is one of my complaints about MSC - hard to get rooms for 4 in YC. So we did as Two Wheels did for our trip in August. We have one Royal Suite and then a YC1. We have 6 in total and the price we paid is less than what we would normally pay for one higher end suite on NCL.

That is one of my complaints about MSC - hard to get rooms for 4 in YC. So we did as Two Wheels did for our trip in August. We have one Royal Suite and then a YC1. We have 6 in total and the price we paid is less than what we would normally pay for one higher end suite on NCL.

For us that is one of the biggest advantages with the Yacht Club compared to the Haven. Since we are only two persons it's a good thing that they don't have so many rooms for 4 or more.

I assume that there are less Children in the Yacht Club than in the Haven.

Thank you, I really appreciate the feedback.

That is a good idea.

I respectfully disagree. NCL is NOT setting prices on demand. If that were true they would be selling them to people like ME who book suites. Insread, the demand is NOT being met. Not even close. Hense the huge numbers sold at a discount through the bid process. This creates a huge disparity in what suites/havens actually go for.

In fact, this entire thread is ONLY relavant to those who book suites initially. Upsells have always paid the fees since the free at sea deals are what you initially booked, not changed when you upsell.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, I'm glad that we have our four cruises booked already. Hubby and I have always tipped the bar staff quite well, enjoying taking care of our favorite staff individually, since the service charge was already included. Same for the dining plan: We always left a cash tip for our wait staff at upcharge restaurants. I can't imagine we're alone in doing that, as folks who book the Haven outright. Now? Maybe we're not quite as generous.

I think that grats for UBP and SDP for those that book the Haven should continue to be included. With the way current pricing is, the upgrade advantage program is catching on. Those folks who upgrade to the Haven from outside of it are already paying the service charges on those programs. I have to believe that with the popularity of the upgrade program, the number of folks booking the Haven outright is decreasing, making this a more of a marginal boon for NCL.

I'm more annoyed, however, that NCL decided to stop allowing cruise next certs to be applied to existing reservations. Sure, it was an unwritten perk that was never enforced. But I bought two Haven cruise next deposits thinking I'd apply them to final payment like I've done several times without issue. Now that these two changes are in effect, I'm not sure we'll use them for any future, new bookings. Because what's next? A room service fee for Haven guests, for our convenience?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Forums mobile app

... NCL is NOT setting prices on demand. If that were true they would be selling them to people like ME who book suites....

Suites are being filled as demand dictates, just to different people. NCL's new model sells what they can at a high rate to those willing to pay the price, then last minute discounts those cabins left to the highest bidder. I suppose FDR justifies that with his statements to the contrary because the cabins weren't offered to the public at that price, just to those already booked. I have to think the plan is maximizing profits or they wouldn't be doing it.

In the past, with old style upsell, the disparity in price paid for the same cabin was not as obvious as I feel it was less common. The new suite pricing model seems to be causing many more unsold cabins going to the bidding system. I know people here keep saying "You shouldn't worry about what other's paid for their cabin". Some people might be able to do that, but it I found it quite annoying to hear the stories about how they paid half what I did. I had hoped NCL might not be taking into consideration it's customers like you and I that were paying for the suites outright and are not willing to take our chances with winning a bid, and since we find the full price unappealing we are forced to look elsewhere. The larger numbers of unsold suites one month out is evidence past suite purchasers either don't like the system or are unwilling to pay asking prices.

There will always be a segment of NCL's customers who will pay asking price for the suites even if they doubled or tripled in cost, I think that is what NCL is working on determining right now, how far can they push initial suite purchasers and still have overall profits make sense by filling in the empty cabins with bidders. Unfortunately based on watching some of the reported winning bid amounts and then seeing policies like the one in this thread it seems NCL is not going to change the model anytime soon. Whether losing customers like us matters, it's doubtful. We have been replaced by those willing to take a chance with the bidding system.