Staying in Titusville area for a Port Canaveral cruise

lucywestie

So doing a 4 night cruise out of the port. We have our own truck as we are driving down from Canada for 3 weeks. I found what appears to be a newer Hampton Inn off I-95 in Titusville.

Just wondering what the area is like. From looking at Google maps there are plenty of restaurants etc. across the highway and some of the bigger chain stores. I know its about 25 minutes from the port but the hotel is only about $120 a night whereas the hotels in the Port area all seem to be running at $180+. That includes deals for parking etc. Considering that parking is only $20 a night at the Port it doesnt seem worth it to pay all that extra just to be a few minutes closer.

So just wondering if Titusville is an "ok" area. We are staying two nights prior to the cruise and plan to spend the only day we have visiting the Kennedy Space Centre.

Thanks for any info people can provide.

Titusville is on the rebound thanks to the growing space industry. The small downtown area is very nice and new shops are under construction to the south. The parks along the water are scenic and friendly with great views of the launch areas.

It is home to the Playalinda Brewing Company with a building downtown and the Brix Project to the south closer to your hotel. Both are MUST-VISITS! In addition it has a good selection of restaurants and bars.

Your hotel is typical of highway hotels and you are several miles west of the downtown area so you have to drive a bit but if the price is right for you then you will find Titusville perfectly OK! You are also close enough for a drive to the Port Canaveral restaurants if you want to experience those after your KSC visit.

Here is a Guide to the Breweries of the Space Coast and a Guide to the Kennedy Space Center for Cruisers.

We just stayed at the Fairfield Inn, which is right by the Hampton. Area seemed very safe and it has easy access to the Space Center. We had dinner at the adjacent Cracker Barrel and it was a good meal for the price.

We also went to church in Titusville and the people were very friendly, even offering us advice on where to see the missle launch from.

Titusville is the county seat of Brevard County and located in what is referred to as the Sapce Coast. This area is relatively "safe". All that said there is no place that is 100% safe. Use all the precautions that you normally do when you travel to a place that is new to you.

Aww, Titusville, just down the road from Port St. John which is where my beloved grandparents had their home. I remember the area, and driving up to the McDonald's in Titusville to get iced tea.

Anyway, sorry - no other contribution to this thread. ;p

Prior to my Carnival Liberty cruise in January, I stayed at the Fairfield Inn at Titusville. I was pleased with my hotel accommodation. I was not pleased with the dinner that I had at the Holiday Inn restaurant whose property was just North of the Fairfield Inn. My review on TripAdvisor said it all. There are a few "fast food-type" dining facilities at that particular I-95 exit; my impression, better ones may be available at the I-95 exit just to the North of that one.

Driving a few miles closer to Port Canaveral for dinner would have provided a better experience for me. Lots of choices--good choices--for dinner along the channel at Port Canaveral itself.

Prior to my Carnival Liberty cruise in January, I stayed at the Fairfield Inn at Titusville. I was pleased with my hotel accommodation. I was not pleased with the dinner that I had at the Holiday Inn restaurant whose property was just North of the Fairfield Inn. My review on TripAdvisor said it all. There are a few "fast food-type" dining facilities at that particular I-95 exit; my impression, better ones may be available at the I-95 exit just to the North of that one.

Driving a few miles closer to Port Canaveral for dinner would have provided a better experience for me. Lots of choices--good choices--for dinner along the channel at Port Canaveral itself.

We had dinner at the Cracker Barrel right next (200 feet) to the Fairfield. Not fancy, but good home style food at a good price.

the posts highlight the big difference

at the Titus' exit you'll find the same sort of places you'll find an any Interstate exit .... you can drive into 'down town Titusville' if you want but ....welllll ... that ain't much (coming from a local) {Dixie Crossroads IS a 'destination' but not anywhere near the water ....}

if you go down to the port area you find places either on the channel side, or the ocean front (not ALL, but they re there to be found)

SO

what are you looking for??????

Aww, Titusville, just down the road from Port St. John which is where my beloved grandparents had their home. I remember the area, and driving up to the McDonald's in Titusville to get iced tea.

Anyway, sorry - no other contribution to this thread. ;p

I grew up in Titusville. Graduated in 1983 from Astronaut High (the school on the east side of I-95 just north of town). Used to go to Dixie Crossroads when it had about 20 tables and a full bar!!! Ate my last civilian meal there. Used to go on Sea Escape from Port Canaveral to Freeport.

It hasn't changed much in 30 years. Of course the way the rest of Brevard has grown during that time---that is not necessarily a good thing.

• 2 weeks later...

We have stayed in Titusville several times pre-cruise. In May we stayed at Fairfield Inn, the hotel was just average, the bed was bad. Our favorite is the Holiday Inn, great hotel. If you stay in Titusville and you like seafood you need to eat at Dixie Crossroads, great seafood.

We have stayed in the Titusville area and Cocoa Beach area pre-cruise several times.

We have no problem staying in either area. Both are great! SteerageJoe & OCruisers are spot on.

The Comfort Inn in Cocoa Beach has a park and cruise package that may be cheaper for you. You have to call and ask for it. https://www.choicehotels.com/florida/cocoa-beach/comfort-inn-hotels/fl521

Have you looked at Go Port Canaveral website? https://www.goportcanaveral.com/

Sometimes they have better deals then you can book on your own separately.

If you do stay in Titusville I would recommend Durango's Steakhouse for dinner http://durangostitusville.com/ Although it is within walking distance from the Hampton I would not recommend you doing so due to highway 50 that you would have to cross. It would take you about 3 minutes to drive there in your truck, 1/2 of which is spent making a U-turn :)

We have stayed at the Quality Inn next to IHOP across the street from the Hampton as well as the Best Western with the Durango in it. I would not recommend the Quality Inn, the IHOP is okay, been to much better IHOP's. The Holiday Inn is nice and also available through Go Port Canaveral as a park and cruise package.

You will LOVE Kennedy Space center!

Depending on what type of truck you have and when you plan on going, consider taking a drive around the Black Point Wildlife Drive https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Merritt_Island/Black_Point_Wildlife_Drive.aspx Or even the Manatee Observation Deck at Haulover Canal http://www.merrittislandwildlifeassociation.org/manatee-observation-deck.asp . You should be able to fit one or both of those in with a KSC visit. Hope you get to see a launch!

If you have an extra hour to spend give the Cocoa Beach Escape Room a try. It is a blast!

http://escapecocoabeach.com/ It's only about a 5-10 minute drive south from the port.

Found a really good rate with the Best Western Space Shuttle Inn. Is it a safe hotel for two ladies traveling alone? Also plan on eating at Dixie Crossroads. Anyone know distance from hotel to restaurant?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 11 months later...

Hi, hopefully you can help. Do you know if there is shuttle service from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the pier. thanks in advance

Yes, I would say it's safe. It's a nice area.

Call them and request a ground floor room if you plan on bringing your luggage into the room. It's much easier then carrying it up the stairs since they do not have elevators. All the stairs are on the exterior of the buildings, each building only has a 1st and 2nd floor.

There is a Target, Marshalls & Dollar Tree all within walking distance if you forget something. You don't have to walk the highway, you can walk through the McDonald's & Home Depot parking lots to get them. Home Depot has a walkway.

The Best Western Space Shuttle Inn is the Best Western with Durango's Steakhouse in it. Great food!

Dixie Crossroads is about 6 miles away.

I have eaten at both several times. Both are good, I prefer Durango's. Last time we were at the Dixie it felt like the quality was going down a bit. In their defense, it could have been just an off night, it was completely full with a wait time of about 45 min. to be seated.

Hi, hopefully you can help. Do you know if there is shuttle service from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the pier. thanks in advance

Probably best to call the hotel, but if you need a ride from MCO my guess would be no shuttle, and also probably not to the port.