Question about steak in the dining room?

Darstan64

Hello all,

My husband and I have been cruising with Princess many yrs, we're platinum members. We love Princess but our last cruise on the Carribbean Princess which is an awesome ship and the food is wonderful, we were a little disappointed to find out the sirloin steak is not available anymore in the dining room, it was replaced by a burger which we thought was ridiculous.

My husband loves his steak when we cruise and we were told by the maitre'd that it was too expensive to keep it on the menu every day. We called Princess and asked about this but no one seems to know if its just the Carribbean princess or all the princess ships that have eliminated the steak. So, my question is does anyone here that cruise with Princess regularly know if its just the one ship or is it all the ships on Princess that don't offer steak any longer?

Thanks for any help.

Hello all,

My husband and I have been cruising with Princess many yrs, we're platinum members. We love Princess but our last cruise on the Carribbean Princess which is an awesome ship and the food is wonderful, we were a little disappointed to find out the sirloin steak is not available anymore in the dining room, it was replaced by a burger which we thought was ridiculous.

My husband loves his steak when we cruise and we were told by the maitre'd that it was too expensive to keep it on the menu every day. We called Princess and asked about this but no one seems to know if its just the Carribbean princess or all the princess ships that have eliminated the steak. So, my question is does anyone here that cruise with Princess regularly know if its just the one ship or is it all the ships on Princess that don't offer steak any longer?

Thanks for any help.

It's all ships.

It.....New York Strip steak (always available side of the menu) changed on the main DR menus a few years ago.

You can pre order a steak through the HW 24 hours in advance.

The beef dish on the "Princess Favorites" section of the menu has not been sirloin steak for quite a few years.

Originally the change was to "medallions of beef" or tri-tip.

But all the recent menus posted here have had the hamburger, including the debut voyages of Majestic Princess.

OP must not have been on a Princess cruise for a while. The sirloin steak hasn't been an option for well over five years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll back this, I've only been on Princess since 2014, not once have a seen a steak in the MDR.

We have had strip steak and medallions of beef on all of our Princess cruises this year. The quality varies from ship to ship. Surf and turf was offered on each cruise also. Beef short ribs ( I know they are not steak) is one of the best beef dishes served IMHO.

Thanks for all your responses everyone, I don’t understand some of the abbreviations, like you can pre-order 24 hrs in advance from the “HW” not sure what that is. I’m talking about having a steak where you don’t have to pay extra for and it is included just like it always was. The salmon is still included and we all know how expensive that is. All i’m saying just to clarify is that I’ve been cruising Princess for many yrs since my daughters were young, they are in their late 20’s now. We cruised with my parents at the time who are elite members and we always had the choice of steak in the dining room every day on the always available menu so we could eat it every day if we wanted to. It was offered with the salmon, caesar salad, grilled chicken, etc. that is also always available.

So my point is replacing the “steak” with a hamburger is ridiculous because you can get that poolside at the grill if you want. It’s just very disappointing and to be told that its just too expensive to put on the menu every day. For the maitre’d to tell us that is embarrassing for Princess. We all pay a lot of money to cruise and expect that on the menu. I know the cruise lines have cut back on little things like chocolates not put on the pillow at night when they turn down the bed but I just don’t understand why when we pay good money to cruise and prices have not gone down on cruises, why cut back on things that make people happy?

This is not something that bothers me as much as my husband because I eat mostly seafood and chicken when I cruise but its just something that I think was uncalled for and should be included in the menu like it was in the past.

Thanks for listening. :)

Thanks for all your responses everyone, I don’t understand some of the abbreviations, like you can pre-order 24 hrs in advance from the “HW” not sure what that is. I’m talking about having a steak where you don’t have to pay extra for and it is included just like it always was. The salmon is still included and we all know how expensive that is. All i’m saying just to clarify is that I’ve been cruising Princess for many yrs since my daughters were young, they are in their late 20’s now. We cruised with my parents at the time who are elite members and we always had the choice of steak in the dining room every day on the always available menu so we could eat it every day if we wanted to. It was offered with the salmon, caesar salad, grilled chicken, etc. that is also always available.

So my point is replacing the “steak” with a hamburger is ridiculous because you can get that poolside at the grill if you want. It’s just very disappointing and to be told that its just too expensive to put on the menu every day. For the maitre’d to tell us that is embarrassing for Princess. We all pay a lot of money to cruise and expect that on the menu. I know the cruise lines have cut back on little things like chocolates not put on the pillow at night when they turn down the bed but I just don’t understand why when we pay good money to cruise and prices have not gone down on cruises, why cut back on things that make people happy?

This is not something that bothers me as much as my husband because I eat mostly seafood and chicken when I cruise but its just something that I think was uncalled for and should be included in the menu like it was in the past.

Thanks for listening. :)

HW-Head Waiter. There are several in the DR's as well as one at the door and they each have a section that they supervise.

We have ordered steak this way every cruise for years since it was taken off the "Always Available" menu.

There is no extra charge for this.

Salmon can be plated anyway you want even on a caesar.

I like a second opinion on that.

We have had strip steak and medallions of beef on all of our Princess cruises this year. The quality varies from ship to ship. Surf and turf was offered on each cruise also. Beef short ribs ( I know they are not steak) is one of the best beef dishes served IMHO.

Mike drop........

Mike drop........

HA love it! I agree, you always ask for it and often will get it on a cruise, people get scared to ask for whatever reason and then come back and complain or don't know to ask, so thank goodness for these forums!

Mike drop........

Not sure what this means? All I was saying is that NY strip was served as a choice on each of the cruises we have been on his year. It is no an every night choice,but shows up in rotation. If you ask 24 hours ahead I am certain you could get it every night if you asked the head waiter. Beef medallions were a choice on the embarkation lunch on all the cruises of 2017! Prime rib was served the evening meal in the dining room on embarkation day of each cruise in 2017! So no lack of beef on all of our cruises this year!

PS - I googled "Mike drop" and laughed out loud!!!

The embarkation day beef medallions lunch and a couple of beers with it in the MDR are outstanding. It's all I can think about while waiting to board. It signals the official start of the cruise.

Agree with the other poster, the CG beef is good but not to die for as it was in the past. We still go the first night when it's "included" but I'd rather spend the $29/pp at Outback.

Darstan64...Your cruise signature shows most recently sailing the Caribbean in October 2012...when was your most recent cruise?

No one is happy with the cutbacks which are happening as all cruise lines seek to keep cruise fares affordable to fill their ships. About a year ago salmon was eliminated from the always available menu which upset many passengers & eventually was returned to the menu. That has not happened with the beef medallions & their gourmet burger is a lousy replacement.

The prices we're paying today when adjusted for inflation are less expensive than decades ago when we began cruising. I have a digital copy of a 1977 Princess brochure with cruise fares that are similar to today 40 years later. The cheapest 3 day cruise was $228 which based on inflation would be $920 today which is closer to a luxury cruise lines price.

Unfortunately some cutbacks are necessary to have cruise fares affordable for enough passengers to fill ships. Cutbacks are not only occurring on Princess but overall they're doing a better job than some other cruise lines. I prefer a few cutbacks to other cruise lines such as NCL & RCI who are continually adding more fee based dining options.

As others have posted, there are still many nightly beef options such as prime rib, Chateaubriand, Beef Wellington, New York Strip and beef medallions. So there are still enough beef options for me but as said I agree that a burger is a poor excuse for the always available beef option.

On the Grand last month, prime rib was offered twice, along with rib-eye steak, filet mignon, New York, and Beef Wellington. I'm not really a fan of the New York, but the other selections were very good to excellent.

I don't often order beef in MDR as I have been terribly disappointed with it in the past. I did sometimes order the Medallions though. Out of the choices you listed above the Rib-Eye is the one that gets my attention. New York Strip is often just not nearly as flavorful. I'm conflicted about the Prime Rib as I love it but have been served some truly "less than good" Prime Rib on Princess. I really don't like it cold. I actually sent it back one time and it came back to me the same way.

I agree with Tony that I have been totally underwhelmed with the steak in Crown Grill the last couple of times we ate there. I "may" give them another try on our next cruise.

On the Grand last month, prime rib was offered twice, along with rib-eye steak, filet mignon, New York, and Beef Wellington.

Same here! While steak was not offered on their Always Available menu, it was offered several nights in the MDR.

No one is happy with the cutbacks which are happening as all cruise lines seek to keep cruise fares affordable to fill their ships. About a year ago salmon was eliminated from the always available menu which upset many passengers & eventually was returned to the menu. That has not happened with the beef medallions & their gourmet burger is a lousy replacement.

It is very sad that princess has done this.

For many years people talked about what a bargain a cruise vacation is.

I'm no longer finding this to be true.

I don't often order beef in MDR as I have been terribly disappointed with it in the past. I did sometimes order the Medallions though. Out of the choices you listed above the Rib-Eye is the one that gets my attention. New York Strip is often just not nearly as flavorful. I'm conflicted about the Prime Rib as I love it but have been served some truly "less than good" Prime Rib on Princess. I really don't like it cold. I actually sent it back one time and it came back to me the same way.

I agree with Tony that I have been totally underwhelmed with the steak in Crown Grill the last couple of times we ate there. I "may" give them another try on our next cruise.

The rib-eye was a new offering on the Alaska menus. Our waiter made a point to tell us about it so that we wouldn't miss out. It was excellent. It wasn't as big as ones in the Crown Grill, but it was a decent size and tender. I would compare it to the Harris Ranch rib-eyes that we buy at Bel Air grocery stores.

Like you, I have too often been disappointed by the prime rib & thus stopped ordering it. I decided to try it again on the Star in January & it was great for me. That doesn't mean that every portion is perfect for every passenger but it was for me.

I agree with Tony & you that the CG steaks are not as good as previously. With the rumored CG price reduction back to $25 like at Sabatini's (only one selection per course), the quality may get even worse. However I know that a great filet mignon can still be found on Princess at the Ultimate Balcony Dinner, Winemakers Dinner & MTP lunch.