I hate packages

yuvraj

We don't buy any packages.

We don't drink enough -- so no beverage package. We book the specialty restaurants before we cruise -- thus no dining package. Neither of us worry about spa, massages, etc. -- so no package there. I stopped doing "Live" reports many years -- there weren't any internet packages back then -- just one price -- so I don't need to buy an internet package.

Packages aren't for us.

I "hate" thread about hating packages :). If you like a package then you can have the option to purchase. If it bothers you or is of no interest...just move on. HAL is in a very competitive business and must offer various packages to simply compete. Personally, we do not see any value. In many cases the discounts that are part of the 3, 4 and 5 Star Mariner perks...negates any value for some of the packages.

Hank

The annoying part of the packages is that people have trouble being logical and evaluating them. First often you have to plan ahead to get extra discount. Then you have to decide where the value is - the product, convenience, and/or experience. The marketing and the details usually make the evaluation tricky. And doing math seems to be difficult. Each person is different and will have a different valuation.

The annoying part of the packages is that people have trouble being logical and evaluating them. First often you have to plan ahead to get extra discount. Then you have to decide where the value is - the product, convenience, and/or experience. The marketing and the details usually make the evaluation tricky. And doing math seems to be difficult. Each person is different and will have a different valuation.

Not an annoying process at all. No different than virtually all buying decisions throughout life. I have not found the details to be overly complex to not be able to make a decision in a couple of minutes whether a package is worthwhile or not. Pretty simple.

If deciding on a package is so annoying to you, just don't consider them at all. No one is forcing you. Problem solved!

Not an annoying process at all. No different than virtually all buying decisions throughout life. I have not found the details to be overly complex to not be able to make a decision in a couple of minutes whether a package is worthwhile or not. Pretty simple.

If deciding on a package is so annoying to you, just don't consider them at all. No one is forcing you. Problem solved!

I think I tried to be nice and misstated my point. People are annoying because they have so much trouble making that buying decision. So many threads with the same problems and asking other to tell them if the package right for them. I personally agree 5 minutes of searching for the current prices and I'm done with the cost analysis. Maybe a little more research to see which wines and liquors are covered; but search is my friend.

I think I tried to be nice and misstated my point. People are annoying because they have so much trouble making that buying decision. So many threads with the same problems and asking other to tell them if the package right for them. I personally agree 5 minutes of searching for the current prices and I'm done with the cost analysis. Maybe a little more research to see which wines and liquors are covered; but search is my friend.

Not opening those threads might go a long way in reducing the level of annoyance.

Drinks packages, dinning packages, internet packages, spa packages. No doubt excursion packages will be on offer soon.

I hate them all. The deliberation and pontificating over whether they are worth it, the caveats, restrictions, etc. Plus sometimes they are simply a con when you go on board and find special offers that make the packages pointless.

Is it just me? Posting this because I am hoping there are others who like me just don't like pre-booking packages.

BTW. I drink sensibly. I eat in speciality restaurants. I have the odd spa treatment. I do all this without busting my budget or feeling the need to buy packages to save a few dollars. Why does everybody think they need to pre-book a package?

I agree with you

Not because I hate the packages because I rarely take them but because they absolutely add the cost into the cruise price and are never free but do their best to make you think they are free

This comes from several cruises taken since the proliferation of these so called packages

I book far out and book cheapest available which we are perfectly ok with and take whatever minor perk we can get which is usually $25 obc tops and most definitely never get offered drink dining packages at our level of cabin

Then of course I watch prices like a hawk

And lo and behold eventually my cabin category gets the great perks offers!!! Lol. This is before final payment of course

I go do a shadow booking of my cabin category and guess what? It's now $500 more lol...but hey I'm getting free dinners and drinks or whatever!!

And no the $500 in NOT the gratuities on the packages. Those were extra lol

I've seen this happen on my last 3 cruises....2015/16/16

Of course Ncl which has been my cruiseline recently knows it's return pax can figure this out but they aren't worried about someone like me....because they are looking to snag unseasoned cruisers with these deals who just don't understand the prices

And yes I fully know YMMV and there are exceptions where the packages are actually a good deal and that seasoned long term cruisers can do well with them ....but that is not the norm so please remember that

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, I have to agree. People can be a lot more annoying than any package could ever be. :cool: :D

It isn't rocket science. ;p

Not opening those threads might go a long way in reducing the level of annoyance.

So true, and I try to avoid ones that promise to annoy. But seems like you can be reading a review and it turns into "should I get the package?" :). And thanks Santa Fe. Ok now I feel better.

Some cruise lines increased the drink prices so people who are on a drink plan are getting more value or so some drinks are now above the maximum price for free. Check the NCL forum

I can understand why passengers who don't drink a lot, who don't buy a drink plan, might "hate" it.

We are on the Anthem right now and my husband said he'd gladly pay for a "don't harass me package" which includes a bracelet so no one approaches him on board to try to sell him anything.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would also gladly pay for that package! :D

Whatever makes you happy. I don't cruise on lines where everything is included because I DON'T WANT everything that is included, and I certainly don't want to pay for those things if I will not use them. I don't drink much, so why pay more for a cruise that includes all alcoholic beverages and end up subsidizing those that do? I don't take ship excursions that often, so why pay more for a cruise that includes shore excursions and end up subsidizing those that do?

I prefer to pay for only what I want to enjoy, and not an exorbitant amount of money to cruise on a line where I end up paying for things I don't use.

Well put. All inclusive deals of almost any sort are likely to include things in which I have no interest. Until a few years ago cruise lines sold a bare bones package: accommodations (priced by size and location), and the same level of food and entertainment for everyone - with alcoholic drinks being essentially the only optional extra.

Then, as the lines found (and instituted) increasing ways to part passengers from their money, they came to realize that different pitches could generate increased revenue. Finally, they got so adept at marketing that they are now able to pad the fares to include packages in such a way that the gullible among their customer base now talk about getting "free drinks".

Yes, many think they pay for a cruise and get free accommodation, free food and free entertainment too. They must think they are just paying for the Fuel, port fees and taxes.:rolleyes:

We pay for the fuel? I didn't see it on my invoice!:eek::D

lol i know

And if you look at the cruise line that's offering the free drink plan the price for the actual cruise is 200. more than you would ordinarily pay. Guess it's a good sales sales strategy to snag novice cruisers. Or for those who don't really care to shop for best deals. If you can land one of these deals without the up charge your lucky but they are far and few between. I check prices everyday don't always get the best out there i am sure but close to it.:p

No big deal- just do your homework and buy what you want. If the alcohol beverage package is " included" I just figure out how much it actually costs me.

Our next cruise is a 13 day transatlantic. An inside cabin was $ 599. For bumping to $ 999 we get a balcony, and the Unlimited Beverage Pak and 4 dinners in Specialty restaurants. Unlimited alcohol usually isn't offered on transatlantics. We think that's worth it for us. We wouldn't buy the package by the day on a Caribbean cruise, because most of the time you're on shore. I could never drink $60 worth of drinks after 5:00 PM.

No one is pressuring you to buy a darn thing.

Its funny that you would say that. I don't own a boat but have relatives and friends that do. When i told them how much i paid for one of my 3 night cruise to bahamas they said they would pay that just for fuel . lol;)

No big deal- just do your homework and buy what you want. If the alcohol beverage package is " included" I just figure out how much it actually costs me.

Our next cruise is a 13 day transatlantic. An inside cabin was $ 599. For bumping to $ 999 we get a balcony, and the Unlimited Beverage Pak and 4 dinners in Specialty restaurants. Unlimited alcohol usually isn't offered on transatlantics. We think that's worth it for us. We wouldn't buy the package by the day on a Caribbean cruise, because most of the time you're on shore. I could never drink $60 worth of drinks after 5:00 PM.

No one is pressuring you to buy a darn thing.

Research is key to see if it works for you. The main thing is the choice as everyone is different. It will work for some and not for others.

Could it be that the OP is mathematically challenged and frustrated at not being able to calculate whether to take a package or not? Just sayin'.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

you may be right, or they just couldn't be bothered.

Whatever makes you happy. I don't cruise on lines where everything is included because I DON'T WANT everything that is included, and I certainly don't want to pay for those things if I will not use them. I don't drink much, so why pay more for a cruise that includes all alcoholic beverages and end up subsidizing those that do?

I'm right there with you. I've done all inclusive cruises. First problem is, they're a lot more expensive, even considering the included costs. Then, they tend to be on very boring lines.

I'm right there with you. I've done all inclusive cruises. First problem is, they're a lot more expensive, even considering the included costs. Then, they tend to be on very boring lines.

LOL! My brother in law, who has a tendency to try to surround himself with upper crust, intellectual types even though he is a bit of a redneck at heart, tried a luxury cruise a couple of years ago after having gone on his first cruise on HAL. Upon his return he complained about how uppity the people that he met on the cruise were. Apparently even he was put off by the all the constant "I succeeded at this, I accomplished this, I am an important person", that seemed to infiltrate every conversation, especially when several people were competing to be the center of attention in a conversation. That he found these people a bit boring was a complete surprise since these are the types of people he typically invites to his parties. :D