Dining on Celebrity

clementine01

On some cruise lines you have to commit to eating in the restaurant at a certain time every night. On others, like Norwegian, they have "Freestyle" dining where you can make reservations for different times on different nights or just walk in if they have openings.

How is dinning handled on the Celebrity ships?

Thanks

For the main dining room, you have a choice. Either assigned dining times (6:30 or 8:00 I think), or Select Dining. Select is the one where you can either reserve a time or just show up during the dinner hours. You need to decide which you want when booking. If you don't, you'll automatically be given assigned time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Celebrity gives you a choice. In the MDR you can choose Traditional Dining with a set time and assigned table, or Select where you can either reserve a time in advance or go when you want.

If you are in Aqua Class Blu is your assigned venue and it's anytime.

Suites are assigned Lumanae and it too is anytime.

Thank you for the responses on dining times. How strictly do the restaurants enforce the dress code? I don't see shorts addressed any where in their dress code "dos and don'ts"

Shorts at dinner are still technically not permitted in the Mdr

On Eclipse in May 2014 we had select (any time) dining. For us it was always in the upper floor of the two floor restaurant. I believe that traditional dining was mostly on the lower floor. We had no trouble getting a table when we just turned up but most days we booked, at the restaurant entrance, an hour or two before we wanted to eat.

Thank you for the responses on dining times. How strictly do the restaurants enforce the dress code? I don't see shorts addressed any where in their dress code "dos and don'ts"

Shorts are never allowed in any of the dining rooms during dinner hours ...the only place you can get away with wearing shorts for dinner is in the buffet.

They aren't very strict on the dress code but shorts are probably where they will draw the line and ask you to change.

OP: you've gotten good info above. I will add one thing. If you have Select dining and like your servers one night, you can always ask to be seated in their section again. You might have to wait a bit longer than otherwise, or not.

Select dinning experiences vary with the ship you are on. Two cruises on the Summit with Select Dining resulted in wonderful experiences meeting people at shared tables for 6 - 10 people with very little wait.

Two cruises on the Silhouette with Select Dining were very unsatisfactory. In February on the Silhouette, we received a card in our room saying we had Select Dining - and they suggested we dine between 8:30 and 9 pm if we didn't want to wait for a table!! Several nights we asked for shared tables and were told none were available. One night we were told there were no tables available, no beepers available, and were sent out to the bar to wait - and forgotten. 45 minutes later I went back in to find out when a table would be available. Another night we were told it would be 45 minutes for any table ( even though the couple ahead of us was seated) - so we went to the buffet. After writing a several page letter to the restaurant manager, I received a call suggesting that we dine at 5:30 pm and he could guarantee a shared table then. Beware if you choose Select Dining on the Silhouette!

On some cruise lines you have to commit to eating in the restaurant at a certain time every night. On others, like Norwegian, they have "Freestyle" dining where you can make reservations for different times on different nights or just walk in if they have openings.

How is dinning handled on the Celebrity ships?

Thanks

Both, therevare 2 fixed times in the MDR, and select, where you walk up and take the luck of the draw.

We just returned from sailing on the Millennium in Alaska. We booked a year in advance, and were given Select, as Traditional was " already full"

We ate most nights at 6pm, did not make reservations, and never had to wait for a table. Just be aware that if you request a table for 2, you will be seated VERY close to other tables of 2, in fact so close, that you can't avoid interacting with each other. We were fortunate, to have dined with some very nice couples.

Must say, since our last cruise 4 years ago, we were disappointed in the food quality and choices in both the Main Dining room and Buffet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Traditional dining times in the MDR are 6 and 8:30. Food is subjective. We enjoy the food and can always find something we enjoy. There are no formal nights on X, they have been replaced with Evening Chic, which is very much open to interpretation, however most folks tend to dress a but more than on the other nights. Definitely shorts are not acceptable in the MDR, Blue, Luminae or the specialty restaurants, but are acceptable in the buffet. Show times are 7 and 9 most nights (same show) to accommodate both early and late diners, so if you choose Select dining you may want to factor show time into your decision. Specialty restaurants require reservations.

Per Celebrity:

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.

With traditional dining, you're assigned a table with the same guests every night, right? What about select? If I want to sit at a larger table with different strangers every night, is that possible?

With traditional dining, you're assigned a table with the same guests every night, right? What about select? If I want to sit at a larger table with different strangers every night, is that possible?

Yes with TD in the MDR you are assigned the same table the entire cruise. I would suggest if you elect to do SD let the host at the podium know what table size you prefer. I believe the host will be able to or at least try to accommodate your request.

The select dining experience must really vary ship to ship, maybe cruise to cruise. We had very bad luck with select on 3 different cruises (even having made reservations).

We did have some pleasant experiences on other trips when we were willing to be seated with a larger group and enjoyed meeting new folks at a larger table.

Shorts & T's are NOT permitted at dinner, but fine(within reason) at other times. "Cutoff" shirts will normally get you barred & you'll have to go change. Celebrity is NOT NCL/Carnival. There is some proper dress codes. "Smart casual" is the rule. This is long pants(khakis etc.) collared shirts. A polo style is ok at night. Evening Chic is kind of what you would wear to a fine dining rest. or a show. You'll see suits/sport coats/tuxes & smart casual at those times.

That is what we have done on many cruises. Every night we simply head to the MDR at a time of our own choosing (we usually choose to dine late....after 8) and once we get to the man/woman working the door we simply ask to "share" a large table. They are usually relieved (because many others make tougher demands such as a 2 top. a certain waiter, etc)...and we seldom wait more then a few minutes to be seated. If you want to dine at an earlier time (say 7) you will have a longer wait.......but telling them you are willing to share a large table will often get you smiles and make friends with the staff at the door. As to reservations, we think it generally defeats the purpose of Select Dining. We do not know exactly when we want to dine...hours in advance. DW and I always have a pre-dinner cocktail (or 2) and often get socially involved with others. If there is a fun discussion or group at the Martini Bar...we do not want to leave just because we must be at the MDR at a certain time. And there are times where we might meet others at the bar...and decide that maybe a few of use want to dine together that evening....so we all go when we are ready. For us, its about flexibility. If we always wanted a set dining time we would simply booked the Fixed sitting.

Hank

1)yes. You'd be with the same guests each night. You could choose to go to a different table if the tablemates weren't to your liking.

2)With select dining you may sit with new pax each night if you wish.

The select dining experience must really vary ship to ship, maybe cruise to cruise. We had very bad luck with select on 3 different cruises (even having made reservations).

We did have some pleasant experiences on other trips when we were willing to be seated with a larger group and enjoyed meeting new folks at a larger table.

Select dining is much like showing up when you want at a restaurant on land.

If a number of people want to eat at the same time you do, there will be a wait once all the tables are full. Even if you have a reservation your table might not be available yet when you arrive.

On the other hand, if you show up at a time many others do not want to be dining, you can be seated right away.

........ For us, its about flexibility. If we always wanted a set dining time we would simply booked the Fixed sitting.
The same for us. We are on vacation and want to be free to eat dinner when we feel like it, not have to show up at the dining room at a pre-scheduled time.

In addition to the reasons you already mentioned, many times we will postpone dinner to enjoy a great sunset or other scenic viewing, or to watch wildlife that suddenly appears.

We really don't mind if we sometimes need to wait to be seated.

But some people need to eat on a fixed schedule for medical reasons, and others get grumpy if they don't eat at the same time every day.

We just got off Summit Sunday and had Select dining. It worked out very well. I had made reservations for 2 as soon as it was possible. We never waiting more that a few minutes and except for one night had the same table and waiters. We always do Select Dining and never had issues.

Shorts are not permitted in the MDR. Most everyone conformed to the dress codes which I feel are very good.

So, just to put it all together:

- when you book, you can request early seating, late seating, or select dining

- if your first choice is filled, then you will be assigned an alternative. However when you board, you can go directly to the maitr'd at the dining entrance and ask to be moved to your first choice

- if you choose select dining, then you can show up any time during dinner hours

- if it is a very popular time, then you may have to wait (usually not very long at all, 5 minutes). You may even be given a beeper so you can go have a drink until there is a table for you (rare)

- however, if you like, you can make reservations for select dining before sailing..either online or by calling. For example, you may prefer to eat early on sea days and later on port days.

- you may also call up to 24 hours ahead while on board and make a reservation, based on looking at the next day dailies

If you are in a suite, then you will dine in Luminae anytime you wish, if you prefer to eat with friends who are assigned the MDR, then you can dine in the MDR

If you are in Aqua, you will dine in Blu. If you prefer the MDR menu (posted outside the entrances) on any given evening, then you may go to the MDR at the select dining entrance. You don't have to ask permission. However, you may NOT:

- eat both in the MDR and Blu

- order the nightly specials from the MDR menu in Blu

Of course, on any evening, you may also go to the buffet in addition to or instead of the MDR (or your assigned dining room) and you needn't tell anyone.

You may also elect to go to a specialty restaurant. You need to call ahead and make a reservation. You don't need to tell anyone in your assigned dining room that you are doing this.

I believe, although I have never done this, that you can also have the MDR meal brought to your cabin.

That's the story on dining. Do NOT be afraid of select dining. The horror stories are anomalies.