Room Service

HOW do you return room service trays. I know putting outside cabin is a no no.

Haven't been on NCL yet, but every cruise I've been on they ask you to leave it outside your door.

Otherwise just leave it in your cabin for your Steward to deal with or ring room service to collect it.

The trays/dishes in the hallway are what caused NCL (FDR) to ban food from being taken out of restaurants. The ban was reversed (thanks to CC members, IMO ;p )

If it was up to me, I'd say keep the dirty dishes inside of the stateroom. Guests still put them outside and NCL staff are supposed to remove them while doing periodic sweeps but it still looks bad before it is cleaned/cleared.

Yes

A. Leave them in your cabin neatly stacked for the steward to remove.

B. Carry them to the buffet area for them to be picked up and washed.

C. Call room service to pick up. Since this is a special pick up I would tip again for the convenience.

No

Please do not put trays in hall for many reasons. Unsightly, potentially dangerous, especially in rough weather. Can spill and stain carpet and/or walls. Can be difficult for those with mobilily issues navigating hallways.

JMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There's always a table of some sort in the cabins, even inside rooms. We just leave the tray/plates on the table and the next time the room gets serviced the steward takes them.

I just stack them somewhere aside in the cabin. If the cabin steward is outside working in the area, you might just ask if he/she would mind just taking them out now. However, in the afternoon for a while and of course later at night the steward will not be in the area. Then they wait for the next scheduled vist by him/her.

Yes

Can be difficult for those with mobilily issues navigating hallways.

Thank you for pointing this out. IMO this is the main and most important reason. I'm able-bodied, but I have seen mobility-challenged people trying to maneuver around things and it just feels like they have enough of a struggle.

I rarely order room service, but when I do I leave the tray in my room and my steward takes care of it.

I did not know putting them outside the room was a no no. That what I did when I was on the breakaway last December. Thanks for the knowledge, I know for next time.

So sweet of you to post this. Great to see CC in a positive way.

There's always a table of some sort in the cabins, even inside rooms. We just leave the tray/plates on the table and the next time the room gets serviced the steward takes them.

That is what we do as well.

We also tip extra at the end of the cruise.

The trays/dishes in the hallway are what caused NCL (FDR) to ban food from being taken out of restaurants. The ban was reversed (thanks to CC members, IMO ;p )

If it was up to me, I'd say keep the dirty dishes inside of the stateroom. Guests still put them outside and NCL staff are supposed to remove them while doing periodic sweeps but it still looks bad before it is cleaned/cleared.

I don't understand why they would ban taking food out of restaurants due to trays or dishes in the hallways? Most of those trays are from "room service" not from restaurants. They didn't ban room service so it makes no sense to ban restaurant take aways.

I don't understand why they would ban taking food out of restaurants due to trays or dishes in the hallways? Most of those trays are from "room service" not from restaurants. They didn't ban room service so it makes no sense to ban restaurant take aways.

The story goes that FDR was on a ship and saw trays and food stains on the carpet (from people bringing food from restaurants) and put in the ban. It didn't last.

The story goes that FDR was on a ship and saw trays and food stains on the carpet (from people bringing food from restaurants) and put in the ban. It didn't last.
I believe you.........just don't know how FDR knew that all those trays and food stains came only from restaurant takeaways and not from room service. A simple solution would be to have all cabin stewards encourage their passengers to leave all trays, either from takeaways or room service, in the room and they will take them away. Banning things seems like an extreme solution. But it's good it didn't last.

I believe you.........just don't know how FDR knew that all those trays and food stains came only from restaurant takeaways and not from room service. A simple solution would be to have all cabin stewards encourage their passengers to leave all trays, either from takeaways or room service, in the room and they will take them away. Banning things seems like an extreme solution. But it's good it didn't last.

Well, the ban on taking food from the restaurants (including the buffet) was followed shortly by the $7,95 service charge for room service (IIRC). The ban was lifted but the room service charge remained. I'm in the school of thought that they probably never intended to keep the ban but it was temporarily instated to deflect attention from the implementation of a room service charge. :o Call me cynical. ;)

Well, the ban on taking food from the restaurants (including the buffet) was followed shortly by the $7,95 service charge for room service (IIRC). The ban was lifted but the room service charge remained. I'm in the school of thought that they probably never intended to keep the ban but it was temporarily instated to deflect attention from the implementation of a room service charge. :o Call me cynical. ;)
I guess that's possible. Although they never seemed to have a problem adding charges without deflecting. LOL I suspect the room service charge has been brewing for awhile now that they have so many venues that charge per item of food. Perhaps people ordering room service takes away from the food sales so charging makes up for it.

I had no idea people were not supposed to put the room service tray and dishes outside their door. I always thought that is what they preferred because it allowed someone to remove it and didn't burden the person cleaning the room. This is good to know. I definitely learn a lot from reading these boards. It seems like the staff should always put a note with the tray to let people know what to do with them. Many people probably just don't know.

I guess that's possible. Although they never seemed to have a problem adding charges without deflecting. LOL I suspect the room service charge has been brewing for awhile now that they have so many venues that charge per item of food. Perhaps people ordering room service takes away from the food sales so charging makes up for it.

That's just my opinion. It all happened around the same time and it was before all the other changed (again, IIRC) so maybe they learned that deflecting didn't work. I don't know. It just struck me that way since they happened about the same time.

I had no idea people were not supposed to put the room service tray and dishes outside their door. I always thought that is what they preferred because it allowed someone to remove it and didn't burden the person cleaning the room. This is good to know. I definitely learn a lot from reading these boards. It seems like the staff should always put a note with the tray to let people know what to do with them. Many people probably just don't know.

There's no rule that says you can't put your tray outside your door. What you're learning here is people's opinions. I happen to agree that keeping it in your room is the way to go because of those with mobility issues trying to navigate the hallways, but there's no rule about it. Well, unless they've recently made one.

We're new to NCL but on Carnival, they tell you to put your trays outside your door. I used to leave them in the cabin for the steward to take when he/she cleaned the room but these were never taken. So, outside the door they went.

I am happy they don't want dishes outside in the hallway. Looks like the slums. I am on vacation and don't really care to see that garbage littering the hallway to my stateroom. I am probably of a minority here. When NCL instituted the room service fee, I was elated. Hallways became a lot less cluttered with dishes and food garbage. It still happens, but to a much lesser extent. I remember one cruise I was on, a full pizza with one slice gone was outside the stateroom next to mine in the A.M. every day of the cruise. I don't know if that would have been the case had a fee been imposed at the time.