Dog on ship

We always adhere to the rules then we are not embarrassed by being told we are doing wrong.

I'm not impressed with embarrassment. What about principle?

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Their principle is their adhere to the rules, therefore they aren't embarrassed. You don't like their principle of sticking with the rules?

Edit to add: I like your quote, "sour people suffer sour lives". So true.

Edited by A&L_Ont

We have had this discussion before. You have your perspective, shaped by your knowledge of ships, and I and others have our perspective shaped by our knowledge of US regulatory compliance.

The prevailing law in commercial transactions in the United States is US law, and it always will be. US law itself allows for flexibility due to circumstances, the same flexibility on ships that is afforded on buses, but in doing so it still is the prevailing law.

Yes, US law is prevailing, but as noted, the law happens to be what the SCOTUS has decided, until there is another decision, so whether or not the cruise lines decide to allow unlimited "service dog" access in order to avoid having to fight a case, is not the question, the fact is that ADA does not completely pertain to foreign flag ships.

Their principle is their adhere to the rules, therefore they aren't embarrassed. You don't like their principle of sticking with the rules?

Edit to add: I like your quote, "sour people suffer sour lives". So true.

Thank you we always say rules are there for a reason and it is no trouble sticking to them.

I have quite the opposite problem. I am my dog's emotional support human. She is a wreck when I leave. Follows me into the shower, watches out the window when I am at work, and jumps into the car whenever I go anywhere else. Our local library and Lowe's just encourages her. They allow any "well-behaved" animals into the store. Boy... when I get home from work I am bowled over and attacked with "kisses." Just imagine what it's like when I am gone for 2 weeks!

Unfortunately, no way I can get a 75 pound German Shepherd on a plane. (Hmm... If I got her her own seat?) Probably not a cruise ship, either. I wonder how that works for international travel.

Not to say that some people may need an ESA, but I think that it may be inappropriate in certain situations.

I have quite the opposite problem. I am my dog's emotional support human. She is a wreck when I leave. Follows me into the shower, watches out the window when I am at work, and jumps into the car whenever I go anywhere else. Our local library and Lowe's just encourages her. They allow any "well-behaved" animals into the store. Boy... when I get home from work I am bowled over and attacked with "kisses." Just imagine what it's like when I am gone for 2 weeks!

Unfortunately, no way I can get a 75 pound German Shepherd on a plane. (Hmm... If I got her her own seat?) Probably not a cruise ship, either. I wonder how that works for international travel.

Not to say that some people may need an ESA, but I think that it may be inappropriate in certain situations.

Your dog sounds lovely but the quarantine laws etc for the UK are very strict so you would not have your dog if you came here for 2 weeks.

There is no rabies in UK because of the rules but Europe is a different matter and not worth risking your dogs health.

Yes, US law is prevailing

And that's the crux of the matter. US law and US courts if someone takes it to court.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

You've misunderstood. My point is that abiding by the rules as a matter of principle is preferable to abiding by the rules out of fear of embarrassment.

You've misunderstood. My point is that abiding by the rules as a matter of principle is preferable to abiding by the rules out of fear of embarrassment.

That was a clearer explanation. Some might/would only abide because of embarrassment, thus my first interpretation of your original comment.

Edited by A&L_Ont

That was a clearer explanation. Some might/would only abide because of embarrassment, thus my first interpretation of your original comment.

We abide by the rules because that is what we were taught when we were children.

This has always served us well and when i see grown men refused entry and being embarrassed because of not being dressed right i just think it could have been avoided if they had respected the rules.

Respect of the rules is the point.

We abide by the rules because that is what we were taught when we were children.
We are getting quite off topic, but what I will say is that principle works to both foster living up to the obligation and to make choices that foster the common good even when there aren't rules to that effect.

Like a previous poster said, legally a service animal and a support animal are completely different things. But it's a rare business that wants the poor publicity of excluding support animals.

Then again, considering how restaurants that finally got brave enough to exclude children found themselves staying in business after all, even praised, the tide may shift on support animals as well. Especially if a few lawsuits involving allergies work their way through the system.

I have seen both good and horrible examples of service and therapy types of dogs onboard. I think most of us would not be bothered if these simple rules were enforced.

1. animals are not to be fed food intended for human consumption in any public areas

2. animals must remain on the floor in public areas, especially in food service areas.

3. animals must not be transported in strollers or other carriages

4. animals must wear a vest or collar that designates their use as a therapy dog. Do other clothing is allowed

5. Owners must be responsible for any cleanup for accidents.

6. The ship will provide a comfort station for service animals and the owners are expected to assure the dog's health and safety needs are met during the entire course of the cruise.

I think this would eliminate the foo foo fakes.

a little different but related to ADA. For deaf passengers requesting an accommodation, such as a sign language interpreter for cruises, the cruise has to depart and/or return from a American orCanadian port. We have cruised from Vancouver, Canada (round trip) to Alaska and they provided interpreters. When we requested an interpreter for a European cruise, we were told they do not provide interpreters for cruises outside the US and Canada.

I work in a hospital. I've seen people walk in with their "dogs", clearly marked service, which is acceptable. I've also seen people walk in with unmarked dogs (? comfort). That is unacceptable to me as one of these "comfort" dogs (which was a puppy), sat down and scratched itself behind the ears like it had fleas. Just what we need in a hospital or anywhere for that matter! And how about those other patient's who might just be allergic to dogs? Would you want them sitting among you while you're waiting to be seen? :confused:

a little different but related to ADA. For deaf passengers requesting an accommodation, such as a sign language interpreter for cruises, the cruise has to depart and/or return from a American orCanadian port. We have cruised from Vancouver, Canada (round trip) to Alaska and they provided interpreters. When we requested an interpreter for a European cruise, we were told they do not provide interpreters for cruises outside the US and Canada.

Is ASL used all over the world or are there other versions that are more prevalent in Europe and non-english speaking countries? Just wondering if that has anything to do with interpreters only available in US and Canada.

I have seen both good and horrible examples of service and therapy types of dogs onboard. I think most of us would not be bothered if these simple rules were enforced.

1. animals are not to be fed food intended for human consumption in any public areas

2. animals must remain on the floor in public areas, especially in food service areas.

4. animals must wear a vest or collar that designates their use as a therapy dog. Do other clothing is allowed

6. The ship will provide a comfort station for service animals and the owners are expected to assure the dog's health and safety needs are met during the entire course of the cruise.

:D

You should send this to the cruise line.

Is ASL used all over the world or are there other versions that are more prevalent in Europe and non-english speaking countries? Just wondering if that has anything to do with interpreters only available in US and Canada.

Each country has their own sign language. There is an international sign language (IS)used at world conferences/meetings. I'm actually an ASL interpreter but if I watched IS, I wouldn't know what the heck they are saying LOL (same would go with any other country's form of sign language...I only know ASL).

What's interesting is Canada has two sign languages...American Sign language (ASL) and Langue des Signes Quebecoise (LSQ following French). I believe Royal Caribbean only provides ASL interpreters at least that's what their access department page says. So I do not know if they would provide an LSQ interpreter.

From their site: Sign language interpreting services will be provided upon request for deaf guests who use American Sign Language (ASL) as their primary means of communication.

Sign language interpreting services are provided on cruises that depart from and/or return to the U.S. and Canada.

Sorry if that is too much information LOL!

Thanks, Slyster. Was just curious as to what might be behind the decision for US and Canada only.:)

Good question...I know there was a lawsuit against Carnival that stated any ships departing/returning from the US are covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act. I get the USA, but I'm not sure about Canada?

For some reason, American companies are absolutely terrified to challenge anyone who brings an animal with them anywhere. The ADA is broad, but it is not unlimited.

I will! If I see an obvious "non-service" service dog on board. I will report it. And, will make its owner uncomfortable when around me.

This is ridiculous.

More than once on an airline I have asked to have my seat moved because of this so called service dog idiocy.

I also am in favor of charging extra for service dogs not associated with and certified for blind passengers.

Edited by graphicguy
Spelling

Sounds reasonable to me.

They have to understand that it is not healthy for other passengers even if they have permission. Dogs should only be allowed for the blind. This picture was on Oasis March 20, 2017.19030424_1918265385082923_8173276205176742770_n.jpg?oh=060e127bc54172053778b639430e9c7e&oe=59CDD48F

Two dogs and two noodles - maybe they like to swim............