Thats alot

dhill

My wife and I Are planning a seven day cruise the last day of the cruise has a stop in Cozumel.That day there will 3 other ships there with a total of17,375 people seems like a lot to me.Thinking about switching to an Eastern cruise any thoughts?:confused:

There are ports in the Eastern that also can and do hold three or more ships so 3 ships at one port or Cozumel is no big thing.

Dividing 17,375 by 3 means each ship holds 5,791 passengers! What 3 ships hold that many passengers? I know of maybe one, RCCL's newest ship, but have they finished building it yet?

Don't switch your cruise, There is more than one pier in Cozumel anyway so not all will be at the same pier.

I took OP to say there would be 3 OTHER ships in port for a total of 4 ships. The average would be a mere 4,344 passengers per ship.

I do agree with Bonnie J that there are several ports where there are often more than four ships.

Don't forget to include the crew in the total since many of them will make it ashore also. We just spent a week in Warnemunde visiting family (a cruise port on the Baltic Sea for those that don't know) and it was interesting to see things from a land based perspective in a port. Speaking of crew, the favorite restaurant of many crew was just down the street from my brother in law's place and it filled up fast when a ship was in port.

OP, I wouldn't be too worried about the numbers especially if you will be taking an excursion.

We've been at St. Thomas when there were six big cruise ship in port. We took the ferry to St. John and it didn't seem overly stressed.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

There have been a number of days when more than 20,000 cruise passengers are in Philipsburg, St. Maarten.

Yes - numbers like that make it harder to enjoy a place; and considering crowding at ports you are interested in is a good idea in picking an itinerary.

Cozumel, like Nassau, is always busy. Have been in Cozumel with 8 ships, no problem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree! There are soooo many places in Cozumel to go. If you are concerned about crowds, there are a few places that only allow 100 people on their beach (all inclusive, I believe), such as Nachi.

4 Ships @ Cozumel is not many at all . Probably an average day for this island which has several piers and many things to do . We have been there with 7 ships once or twice when ships were diverted from the Eastern itineraries due to storms.

There are ports in the Eastern that also can and do hold three or more ships so 3 ships at one port or Cozumel is no big thing.

Dividing 17,375 by 3 means each ship holds 5,791 passengers! What 3 ships hold that many passengers? I know of maybe one, RCCL's newest ship, but have they finished building it yet?

Don't switch your cruise, There is more than one pier in Cozumel anyway so not all will be at the same pier.

Cozumel c an handle it. It is what it is and the only way it changes is for one (or more) ships to cancel. Which should not go? We were once there with so many ships, they ran out of piers...... they have many. Our ship tendered. All was fine.

My wife and I Are planning a seven day cruise the last day of the cruise has a stop in Cozumel.That day there will 3 other ships there with a total of17,375 people seems like a lot to me.Thinking about switching to an Eastern cruise any thoughts?:confused:

That is about a quarter of how many show up at Disneyland in the first few hours of a holiday weekend. Not a lot of people at all.

The Los Angeles Times reports that for the second day in a row, between 75,000 and 100,000 people turned out to celebrate the holiday season at the family-friendly parks. While high turnouts are not uncommon in the week between Christmas and New Year’s, the sheer volume of people descending upon the world famous resorts lead to limited admission and the closure of the ticket gates in Disneyland at 10 am, just 2 hours after the park opened.

That is about a quarter of how many show up at Disneyland in the first few hours of a holiday weekend. Not a lot of people at all.

The Los Angeles Times reports that for the second day in a row, between 75,000 and 100,000 people turned out to celebrate the holiday season at the family-friendly parks. While high turnouts are not uncommon in the week between Christmas and New Year’s, the sheer volume of people descending upon the world famous resorts lead to limited admission and the closure of the ticket gates in Disneyland at 10 am, just 2 hours after the park opened.

Sorry, but that's completely irrelevant. It's not the numbers of visitors that may arrive on any given day, but the ability of (in the OPS case) the port to absorb and efficiently handle those crowds. Some islands would be completely overwhelmed by more than one or two ships. Others can easily handle many ships at once. Cozumel falls into the latter category.

Not a big deal in Cozumel. We have been there multiple times when there have been 8 or more ships in port. The only place crowded was right around the various docks.

Only having 3 other ships in port in Cozumel is actually a light day there. (y)

Don't worry - ENJOY! :D

Cozumel has private beach clubs that strictly limit the number of guests allowed. You have to make a reservation beforehand, but if you do, once you are there (by taxi - about $17 for 2) it will be like any day on Cozumel at that beach club.

Cozumel has three piers. Each have their own shopping and taxi's. If you are concerned, plan ahead and book a spot at one of the beach clubs. We were just there this past March...7 ships. We waited 5 minutes for a taxi and were at Mr. Sanchos (which I would highly recommend) in no time....litterally, those taxi drivers drive fast! Go and enjoy.