What do you like and/or dislike about sharing a table with strangers?

Hey Tina

The only problem I have encountered in the MDR, although it mainly affected my companion who was trying to work to a schedule, was slow dining. The next course was delayed a long time every course and by the end the waiters were trying to get us to leave as the next sitting needed to start. Caused my friend a lot of stress.

The great thing of sharing a table is the diplomacy of keeping things convivial, happy and pleasant experience the whole cruise. I have met a wide range of people some of whom do unusual things. One guy drew a map of the table and wrote down everyone's name and sitting position. Everybody else laughed when he was rumbled and his wife disclosed his tactic.

Regards John

The great thing of sharing a table is the diplomacy of keeping things convivial, happy and pleasant experience the whole cruise.
Maybe you've hit on the reason why so many are moving away from table sharing: Over time it seems as if some are finding it increasingly more difficult to wear civility in the context of people who are obviously different from they are, whether due to religion, national origin, sexual orientation, etc.

so I will stop trying to converse with you

What's interesting is that it made sense to you when you said it at 9:52 AM.

When it is a term referring to a group of people, it is offensive if those people say it is offensive.
Often, only one or a few in a group are offended.
But suddenly it doesn't make sense at 12:16 PM.
What words were only a few people offended by?
So it seems that when your earlier comments are shown to be nonsense, suddenly you get retroactively confused about what you were writing about.

so I will stop trying to converse with you
That's fine with me and perhaps for the best. It'll be interesting to see if you retroactively get confused about that as well, and begin posting responses to me again.

Maybe you've hit on the reason why so many are moving away from table sharing: Over time it seems as if some are finding it increasingly more difficult to wear civility in the context of people who are obviously different from they are, whether due to religion, national origin, sexual orientation, etc.

I'm actually disappointed by what seems to be a trend of folks moving away from traditional dining. It's always been a highlight of my trips, something that I consider an added value of a cruise over competing types of vacations. Over the course of time, you get to know your tablemates, and dinner becomes a time to share the days adventures. Doesn't happen when you book a week in a hotel.

I much prefer traditional dining. Table of 6 or 8 please.

On our last cruise we were seated at an 8 top. There were four couples. We had a great time at dinner every night! We got to know each other casually and still converse some on Facebook. On our first cruise we had our three children with us, ages 16, 13, and 6. We were seated with a single father and his two young daughters. It was nice for the kids to have someone to visit with. We have a cruise coming up next month. I'm looking forward to seeing who we might meet next!

Lol, im a talker. My wife is not. She always wants a table for 2 only. But last cruise on Anthem sat across from a couple from New Jersey. Found that both our sons same age (37) and into skateboarding. My son owns a stakeshop and teaching school. Their son is in management of a large skateboard manufacturing in California. Exchange info. Long story short, the son send out 1200.00 worth of skateboards for my son's shop. Needless to say my son was happy that Im outgoing. Now both are happy with the new ongoing business relationship.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

My attitude to anyone who is a bit different is to find out how it works, what they do, how this is perceived by others etc. I am genuinely interested as you can find out a lot about things people do not talk about back home. Generally people like to explain their standpoint, what you do not do is criticise it. You meet people who you are unlikely to otherwise meet and they are there with you, can you imagine how interesting it would be to find out you were sharing a table with a native American for example?

Regards John

The reason I finally got into cruising was that cruise lines starting offering non-fixed dining opportunities in the MDR. Before, having to sit at the same table every night with the same people at the same time was a huge turnoff for me. Sorry, but true for ME. Your mileage may vary...

As for "when did wicked become good": I think it has been forever in Maine - I always heard "this is wicked good" when talking with my Downeaster friends.

As for sarsaparilla and root beer: they are both drinks brewed from roots originally. But, root beer evolved to include other flavorings and sarsaparilla stayed the same. And, don't forget birch beer - also a drink brewed from a root, but sooooo much better than sarsaparilla or root beer ;-)

In my case recently, it wasn't a matter of being forced to sit with people, but the others at the first night table turned out to be folks I wanted to see again. On the other hand, one night we sat at a four-top with a couple who also turned out to be terrific people (random assignment).

To be honest, the gayer and more ethnically diverse my table is, the happier I am. It would be kind of boring to exclusively talk to straight white people in their mid-20's the whole cruise.[/

Delete

Edited by champagne123

To be honest, the gayer and more ethnically diverse my table is, the happier I am. It would be kind of boring to exclusively talk to straight white people in their mid-20's the whole cruise.

The wife is asian and well, we are not straight and boring ;) kill marry sleep with is one of our favorite games to play in new environments......

The reason I finally got into cruising was that cruise lines starting offering non-fixed dining opportunities in the MDR. Before, having to sit at the same table every night with the same people at the same time was a huge turnoff for me. Sorry, but true for ME. Your mileage may vary...

As for "when did wicked become good": I think it has been forever in Maine - I always heard "this is wicked good" when talking with my Downeaster friends.

As for sarsaparilla and root beer: they are both drinks brewed from roots originally. But, root beer evolved to include other flavorings and sarsaparilla stayed the same. And, don't forget birch beer - also a drink brewed from a root, but sooooo much better than sarsaparilla or root beer ;-)

Don't forget about Boston .... wicked pissa. LOVE Birch Beer ... hard to find.

Same for us. That and HAVE to be FORMAL on certain nights ...no tuxes and formal gowns for us.