A different dining question for travelers ??

Archipelago

Travelers,

When I cruised on the Amsterdam in 2004 I was dining in the Lido for lunch one day. I got up to get something more to drink and when I came back to my table it was cleared and everything was gone. ( I wasn't gone but a minute ):')....Anyway what do some of you do if you are dining alone in the Lido and need to leave you table for any reason ? I have carried my HAL bag and put it on the table but do not always carry it so I am wondering what do others do to let the waitstaff know that you are not finished and are coming right back to the table if you happen to be dining alone.

Travelers,

When I cruised on the Amsterdam in 2004 I was dining in the Lido for lunch one day. I got up to get something more to drink and when I came back to my table it was cleared and everything was gone. ( I wasn't gone but a minute ):')....Anyway what do some of you do if you are dining alone in the Lido and need to leave you table for any reason ? I have carried my HAL bag and put it on the table but do not always carry it so I am wondering what do others do to let the waitstaff know that you are not finished and are coming right back to the table if you happen to be dining alone.

This is what has worked for me :

I will tilt my chair forward resting on the table and put my napkin over the chair back . Hope it also will works for you .

I carry a small sign I put at my place. It says "Please feel free to sit and share but be kind don't take my chair." On most of the ships they now have a sign stating who is in charge of the table I have let them know I will be right back and no problems.

We too also drape our napkin over the back of our chair, which seems to work as code we intend to come back.

Poor stewards get complaints both ways - they don't clear the tables fast enough to make new openings, and they clean them too fast and take things away before people are done.

So we should also respond in two ways - try to indicate you intend to come back, and also take it as given that your spot might be cleared if you leave and then come back later. It is not too hard to find a new table for your second course.

The dining room isn't open for all meals.

I cruise solo and have had my place cleared more than one time, which is one of the reasons I dislike the Lido - you have to make multiple trips to assemble a meal, and then when you're done the food is either cold or missing. :mad:

I now use Razorback's tilted chair method, which seems to work.

Roz

I carry a small sign I put at my place. It says "Please feel free to sit and share but be kind don't take my chair." On most of the ships they now have a sign stating who is in charge of the table I have let them know I will be right back and no problems.

+1. Simple idea. However, want to bet that there might be at least a few people who will ignore your sign or take it and claim that it was't there.

DON

The dining room isn't open for all meals.

I cruise solo and have had my place cleared more than one time, which is one of the reasons I dislike the Lido - you have to make multiple trips to assemble a meal, and then when you're done the food is either cold or missing. :mad:

I now use Razorback's tilted chair method, which seems to work.

Roz

I think, as a nod to solo cruisers, HAL could b e considerate of us and print a small laminated note that can be left at a solo's place setting if they go to get a drink. or desert. " I WIll be right back. Please do not clear my plate" . Stewards would quickly get used to seeing them, would immediately recognize why itsis there. HAL claims go be 'solo fiendly y....... Here is a non-revene way to prove it. They could be in a basket in LIdo and solos' could take one on their way to a ta ble.

Just my observation: Tilted chairs can make it difficult to navigate between the tables, depending on their location.

I generally am carrying something with me: a book to leave next to my place setting; a tote or even a visor to leave on the chair back. If I have nothing with me, I drape the napkin over the back of the chair, but it's better to get someone's attention and let them know I'll be back - at that point they will usually offer to bring whatever I need for my meal. m--

For those concerned about the chain of infection, handling chairs is one way to get your nicely just washed hands dirty again. The less the better. Bad enough to scoot the chair in when sitting down - lots of hands have done that before you too. There are so many ways we break that chain.

Even off ships now i use knuckles instead of fingers to push buttons and watch out of hand-rails using my wrist in a sleeve when I can to balance myself. These things have now just become engrained. The tissue at the restroom door handle upon exiting. Even when they don't make this easy to do in the "outside world". - I now always do it.

Agree, not a fan of the titled-chair either sign. The legs then stick out into the passageway and may trip someone who is not looking down.

If the staff understands the draped napkin, I'd stick with that.

HAL claims to be 'solo fiendly'.

While I've noticed this in action, I didn't realize it was an actual claim. Or did Freud twist your fingers on the keyboard? The local buffet restaurants all have cute "I'll be back" signs.

+1. Simple idea. However, want to bet that there might be at least a few people who will ignore your sign or take it and claim that it was't there. Stewards will quickly learn how to deal with such jerks. He can say he saw the sign and know that person always places one.

DON

If laminated, the steward can run a diseinnfectant cloth over each when he clears the table after the table is vacated..

We also leave sweaters draped over our chairs, if we go up to get another course
I never have a sweater with me in Lido or most anywhere on the ship.

You are lucky the sweater is stilltthere when you return. :eek:

I never have a sweater with me in Lido or most anywhere on the ship.

You are lucky the sweater is stilltthere when you return. :eek:

I take one up just to leave on the chair, never lost one yet in 10+ cruises :D

This is what has worked for me :

I will tilt my chair forward resting on the table and put my napkin over the chair back . Hope it also will works for you .

The above has always worked for me too! (y)

My most recent trip (Zaandam June 2017) I ended up in the Lido by myself. I told the waiter I'd be right back and not clean it. I returned to find the chair tilted. I like the napkin on the back better. I usually travel solo and have a book or something with me to hold my spot.

You carry a sign, really?

I can't help thinking you are kidding-- but, if not, why not a large sign which would be taken more seriously.

No waiter would clear a table where the chair was tipped forward and the napkin draped over the back: universal sign language.