Deceptive NCL Itineraries

upstatenyker

After reviewing the options that appeared on NCL, my group of 4 booked a 4 day cruise to Havana along with our flights to MIA. We noted that it was a shorter cruise however were very excited to see that our stay would encompass a day and a half in Havana, as stated under ‘Details’ where arrival would be 8am and departure would be at 5pm the following day. Several weeks later when checking excursions, our individual itinerary noted a 5pm arrival. In speaking with NCL reps, we were told that we should have looked at the individual itinerary that we were considering before booking. This is where I feel that NCL has been deceptive. Rather than stating, ‘Check individual cruises for exact itinerary’, NCL instead shows under ‘Details’, an arrival time of 8am and departure time of 5pm. After speaking with Customer Service reps, I checked the 24 cruises between 6/19 and 3/26. 92% had identical arrival times of 8am however only 50% had identical departure times. Being that there is no consistent time schedule, how did NCL arrive at the decision to advertise the earlier mentioned arrival and departure times? Needless to say, our perception is that the optimal times were published. We spoke with several different reps and wrote to NCL for some form of compensation to no avail and so I'm posting this in order for cruisers to drill down into individual itineraries. I am happy to report that NCL has since changed the arrival time on their website to the less optimal time however want to alert people that this misstatement could be happening in their literature for other ports of call.

After speaking with Customer Service reps, I checked the 24 cruises between 6/19 and 3/26. 92% had identical arrival times of 8am however only 50% had identical departure times. Being that there is no consistent time schedule, how did NCL arrive at the decision to advertise the earlier mentioned arrival and departure times? Needless to say, our perception is that the optimal times were published.

I would view it as the most common (92%) arrival time was listed. When going through the booking process, the "View Itinerary" tab should always be checked. Some cruises depart Miami at 4pm and some depart at 7pm (yours probably departs at 5pm). It's worse to assume 7pm if it leaves at 4pm vs. assuming 4pm when it leaves at 7pm but in either case, it's best to make sure.

Its complicated !

Nothing to do with the tides

Nothing to do with the sailing times between ports

Could have something to with government controls (ours and theirs)

Could also have something to with the number of ships the port of Havana can handle

BUT foremost I think - NCL rushing to judgment printing something that they did little or no checking of the

details and not checking their own FINE PRINT !

9 hours of difference in the times - 8am arrival or 5pm - which is it ?

Possibly sailing thru the Bermuda Triangle is NCLs excuse !

Thanks for the post. Like you I always assumed that the itinerary listed was what I would be sailing. NCL should list on the itinerary to check your individual sailing as your times may vary.
But...NCL does say that.

Thanks for the post. Like you I always assumed that the itinerary listed was what I would be sailing. NCL should list on the itinerary to check your individual sailing as your times may vary.

On the "Details" tab:

Please Note:

• Disembarkation usually begins 2 hours after docking.
  • Due to security reasons, all guests must be on board 2 hours before sailing.
  • Itineraries are subject to change at any time without notice.
  • Check your specific sailing for exact departure and arrival times. All times are local to the port.

On the "Details" tab:

Please Note:

• Check your specific sailing for exact departure and arrival times. All times are local to the port.

Exactly right! It should be on the itinerary page after the itinerary not the details page I would guess that 95% of people believe that the itinerary shown on the itinerary page is what they will be sailing.

On the "Details" tab:

Please Note:

Exactly right! It should be on the itinerary page after the itinerary not the details page I would guess that 95% of people believe that the itinerary shown on the itinerary page is what they will be sailing.

You really need to look at NCL.com and see how the pages are set up. Do a search for a ship, say Getaway, and it will come up with all available itineraries. It does not show you the times UNLESS you click on the DETAILS tab. Once you do that the disclaimer is on the right side of the page NEXT to the port times.

I did it 3 times, every time. The port times were on the Itinerary page, To get to the details page,you have to select a sailing date, And at that time one believes that the times on the itinerary page is the time They will be in port.

If there is roll call for the OP's cruise. I would like to see him ask the people in the roll call if they were aware that the times they will be in Cuba, will not be those that were listed on the itinerary page .. My guess is not one person will say they knew, because they went to the details page.

I did it 3 times, every time. The port times were on the Itinerary page, To get to the details page,you have to select a sailing date, And at that time one believes that the times on the itinerary page is the time They will be in port.

If there is roll call for the OP's cruise. I would like to see him ask the people in the roll call if they were aware that the times they will be in Cuba, will not be those that were listed on the itinerary page .. My guess is not one person will say they knew, because they went to the details page.

Assume you are right...and on that details page, right next to the ports and times, it says "Check your specific sailing for exact departure and arrival times". If a person fails to read that and/or fails to check, do they bear any responsibility for that failure??

Why would a person read SOME of the details and not ALL of the details? Especially a Cruise Critic person...we tend to be people who want MORE information, not less.

Looks like the OP is on the Nov. 6 sailing. Before final payment so cancel and rebook to the Oct 23 sailing arriving 8:00am Tuesday and departs 5:00pm Wed. Change fees would apply to the airline tickets, but might be worth it for 2 full days in Havana.

Other option is to cancel NCL and book one of the other cruise lines with dates that fit with your airline tickets.

You want to be compensated for your own failure to read the details of a cruise before you booked it? Really?

I think they want to be compensated because NCL used deceptive practices. Lots and lots of new/newer cruisers get ramrodded by various NLC deceptions.

I think they want to be compensated because NCL used deceptive practices. Lots and lots of new/newer cruisers get ramrodded by various NLC deceptions.

Ramrodded???? Seriously? No one forced the OP to pick the cruise. No one forced the OP to keep the cruise.

The OP wants sympathy because the now have to tell their group that they committed money without looking at what the bought.

Ah yes, the deception of not asking the cruiser if they read everything and understand all the details before taking their money. No other cruise lines have asked me that question.

I'm not sure why people are being so harsh on the OP. As a web/mobile product director, these are the types of UI/UX issues one deals with all the time. NCL's website simply does not present the information, or allow access to the information in a way that someone unfamiliar with the website would be able to easily find.

An ideal way to present this to the user would be to present the different itineraries are separate cruises rather than lumping them together with the same top level (and incorrect) details. For example:

Cuba to Miami, Itinerary A

Cuba to Miami, Itinerary B

An ideal way to present this to the user would be to present the different itineraries are separate cruises rather than lumping them together with the same top level (and incorrect) details. For example:

Cuba to Miami, Itinerary A

Cuba to Miami, Itinerary B

Which, in fairness to NCL, they do do. When looking at the different options for the Jade as an example there are lots of different itineraries listed as "variation". At least this is the case in the UK.

It does make it quite hard sometimes to find the cruise you want, as there are multiple listings for what are very similar itineraries.

Neither option is ideal, to be honest. NCL do apparently make it worse by not being consistent though.

It was the OP's choice to book the cruise without out looking at the itinerary for that particular cruise, even though NCL's website tells folks to check the itineraries and it is the OP's choice to pay for the cruise if they are going to go on it and it would be the OP's choice to cancel the cruise, if they wish. No one or company can ramrod (by definition forcing someone) someone into getting into their wallet and pay for something, as the person who holds the wallet, holds all the power.

Do they deserve compensation....no way!

Thanks for the heads up. I'm new to cruising and this type of information is very helpful. Sincerely, AJB

After reviewing the options that appeared on NCL, my group of 4 booked a 4 day cruise to Havana along with our flights to MIA. We noted that it was a shorter cruise however were very excited to see that our stay would encompass a day and a half in Havana, as stated under ‘Details’ where arrival would be 8am and departure would be at 5pm the following day. Several weeks later when checking excursions, our individual itinerary noted a 5pm arrival. In speaking with NCL reps, we were told that we should have looked at the individual itinerary that we were considering before booking. This is where I feel that NCL has been deceptive. Rather than stating, ‘Check individual cruises for exact itinerary’, NCL instead shows under ‘Details’, an arrival time of 8am and departure time of 5pm. After speaking with Customer Service reps, I checked the 24 cruises between 6/19 and 3/26. 92% had identical arrival times of 8am however only 50% had identical departure times. Being that there is no consistent time schedule, how did NCL arrive at the decision to advertise the earlier mentioned arrival and departure times? Needless to say, our perception is that the optimal times were published. We spoke with several different reps and wrote to NCL for some form of compensation to no avail and so I'm posting this in order for cruisers to drill down into individual itineraries. I am happy to report that NCL has since changed the arrival time on their website to the less optimal time however want to alert people that this misstatement could be happening in their literature for other ports of call.