Chartering of Ships

While researching my cruise on Brilliance of the Seas next year, I came across some threads about ships being chartered for private events and such. One thread said that RCL ended up canceling their cruise because someone had chartered the ship.

Can anyone tell me what the deal is with Charters? It seems like this happens more frequently on the Radiance class ships, and it has me wondering how much notice they give to people that they are canceling a sailing. I booked when the dates were released, so I got a good price on a GS, and don't want to have to rebook a cruise for the same time period and pay more.

You get as much notice as they can give. They normally give OBC and price protection. The price protection allows you to book the same category stateroom on selected similar cruises. However, you may not have a lot of choice on the alternate cruises.

I believe Brilliance is chartered because it does 4 and 5 day cruises and these shorter cruises on a smaller ship are less expensive than longer cruises on larger ships.

You get as much notice as they can give. They normally give OBC and price protection. The price protection allows you to book the same category stateroom on selected similar cruises. However, you may not have a lot of choice on the alternate cruises.

I believe Brilliance is chartered because it does 4 and 5 day cruises and these shorter cruises on a smaller ship are less expensive than longer cruises on larger ships.

Thanks for the information. I guess I'll sit back and hope that no one charters my sailing because of the increased prices and the non-refundable deposits. ;);p

Here's some information I found at http://www.royalcaribbeanincentives.com/full-ship-charter-faqs/

"How far in advance should an organization charter the ship?

Royal Caribbean International does not typically consider Full Ship Charter requests within 6 months of the requested sail date and/or for those sailings booked above a pre-determined threshold. Most clients charter one year in advance and some as far out as two or more years. For Re-Sale charters, it is in the best interest of the client to allow ample time to promote the charter (9 months+). The cost of displacing booked guests will be a factor for any “open” sailing and will generally be lower if the charter is contracted farther out."

It sounds like charters for 2018 are most likely already booked because there would be too many already booked customers to displace.

IF your ship gets chartered, they will make you an attractive offer to soothe your soul....so IF you ever find out it has happened, do NOT cancel your trip...let them contact you! You can, of course, start researching other options, but do NOT cancel until you've been contacted!

On "full charters", you wouldn't want to be on that cruise, anyway, unless you are part of that "group"!

We have had Brilliance sailings chartered on us for 2017 and 2018. The one we have booked for 2019 is now showing as sold out so I am getting ready to hear from them again as I am pretty sure that one is chartered as well. They are all January sailings. We got plenty of notice however none of the price protected sailings the past 2 years included Key West which was the one stop that we really liked.

We have had Brilliance sailings chartered on us for 2017 and 2018. The one we have booked for 2019 is now showing as sold out so I am getting ready to hear from them again as I am pretty sure that one is chartered as well. They are all January sailings. We got plenty of notice however none of the price protected sailings the past 2 years included Key West which was the one stop that we really liked.

Three years in a row booking the "lifestyle" cruises. Hmmm....

This isn't the case in the Med during the summer where Brilliance has been doing 12 days cruises for the last few years. However, 12 days is no guarantee of not being chartered as we had booked to sail on her in June this year and they chartered off 4 of the days and reduced our cruise to an 8 day with a substantially changed itinerary, which we chose to cancel.

I guess we'll just have to join them one of these years:cool::eek:

You could try your luck with Celebrity and book one of their "clothing optional" charters. The cruise prior to our last Celebrity cruise was one of those. Maybe 50 years ago but not as a Super Senior.

We are on the 7 day Western on Brilliance for Thanksgiving that includes Key West. It's a nice itinerary. We haven't been back to Key West in a number of years...........looking forward to this cruise. Love the more traditional ships.

You really don't need a "life style" cruise....just sneak off to Orient Beach!:cool::cool:

I was thinking about whole ship charters the other day. I told my wife next time there is a G20 meeting they should charter an appropriate sized cruise ship and and head out to International waters. Plenty of room for the principles and all their staff and press but nada for protesters. ;) People still talk about the Battle of Seattle in 1999 - and the cost.

How can I find out if our cruise has a "special" group on it?

No foolproof way. Try an internet search with the name of the ship and the sailing date in different forms.

Three years in a row booking the "lifestyle" cruises. Hmmm....

I just found out that one of the cruises I have booked on the Vision out of NOLA has a group that could be interesting. No way of knowing how big the group is but it is not a full charter.