Possible to board on embark. day (if there's room obviously) without reservation?

rgmacm

A friend of mine was told (BY Carnival the way I understand it....) that they could just show up at the port on embarkation day...and if there was availability on the ship, they could get on that cruise for just the cost of port taxes/fees.

So....has anyone had any luck with doing this?

By way of information, my friends did NOT 'make it'...and I'm thinking it might be because they were attempting this during the Summer.... I can't help but wonder if something like this WOULD be possible at other times of the year??? or at 'less traveled' ports??? So.....

Has anyone had success with this? If so...what ports....what time of year....

Those fares would only be available (should they exist anymore) to land based carnival employees not to just show up guy.

We made friends with some of the check in employees in long beach, and they always have a bag packed for any last minute booking. Once, they were in our cruise and we saw them being pinged in on board

Many years ago we used to pack our bags, and head out to the port on embarkation day. About half the time we got a cabin, and boarded for the cruise at about twenty five percent of the normal price. Sadly, those days are pretty much gone. I think Oceanlover is correct in his info, but as noted by Sanmarcosman, they don't give the price break that they used to.

"SKY"

We saw this happen once. My SIL was able to book day of cruise for herself and her kids because they were on the manifest for our daughter's wedding. After the wedding, SIL went to guest services and there were two cabins available. An interior and an OV. She booked (had to go back to port to check in) and they cruised with us.

How do you even get to the cruise terminal without a boarding pass? I have only been out of Charleston and Prt. Everglades but in those 2 ports you cannot even get to the terminal unless you already have a boarding pass.

In day's gone by this might have been possible. But these days, ships are sold out in advance and getting on last minute is nearly impossible. And today, which wasn't a factor in past times, Carnival has to provide a passenger manifest to Department of Homeland Security in advance. In year's past, Carnival discounted fares at the last minute to fill open cabins, but these days, that just isn't the case. Most ships sail full, and even if there is a cabin or two available last minute, prices for those are very high. Carnival changed their business strategy where in days gone by they would deeply discount cabins last minute to fill them, but today discounts go to passengers that book way in advance, and as sail date gets closer, prices only increase as sail date approaches.

We made friends with some of the check in employees in long beach, and they always have a bag packed for any last minute booking. Once, they were in our cruise and we saw them being pinged in on board

This sounds a little odd. So Carnival employees can leave their job and go on vacation at will? Most big companies like Carnival you have to request vacation time well in advance. As an employer, i would call that quitting their job.

This sounds a little odd. So Carnival employees can leave their job and go on vacation at will? Most big companies like Carnival you have to request vacation time well in advance. As an employer, i would call that quitting their job.

The people who work at the terminal, at least in Galveston only work part time and during days when cruise ships are in port. I wouldn't think it would be that difficult for 1 or 2 of them to get on the ship and have someone else cover their next shift. I would think this would be the case in most if not all ports.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Not quite.

The cruises are scheduled as standby cruises for port personal. They're allowed a cabin on one short and one long cruise per year, for the cost of port fees/taxes/gratuities. If they do not get a cruise one year, they are guaranteed to get the type they missed the next. If they work the day of embark then their parking is paid for. Not a bad perk when Long Beach charges $19/day.

Over the years we've befriended several, many work this for the vacation benefit and have another job.

For the OP's friend, they'll need to call Carnival in the morning. Nobody says you cannot call from the pier. ;) S/he'll pay the going rate.

I knew about the passenger list being submitted to Homeland Security ahead of time...and several things in what they were saying sounded a little unusual to me... but they were first of all VERY excited...and secondly (and this was the biggie) had a back up plan if things didn't work out. When they didn't get on the cruise, they just spent a little more time in the port city...then drove on down the coast to beaches in the area. They had a nice vacation even if it wasn't the vacation they 'hoped for'....

It all worked out ;)

From what I understand of these responses though...this is NOT something my husband and I should attempt. haha! I would NEVER have done this when we were vacationing with our children...but now that we're empty-nesters with a little more freedom, it seemed like a nice idea - spontaneous.....carefree......impromptu....

Oh well..... Nice thought while it lasted. :)

Carnival employees who have been with them at least 2 years also get not only 2 weeks paid vacation time, but accrued annual Sick Days plus accrued PTO (Paid Personal Time Off). The PTO/Sick Days can be used to jump on a quick 3 or 4 day long weekend cruise without having to schedule vacation time.

Carnival employees who have been with them at least 2 years also get not only 2 weeks paid vacation time, but accrued annual Sick Days plus accrued PTO (Paid Personal Time Off). The PTO/Sick Days can be used to jump on a quick 3 or 4 day long weekend cruise without having to schedule vacation time.

Shoreside personal are now outsourced. Long Beach was the last to change over. Bennies aren't as good.

How do you even get to the cruise terminal without a boarding pass? I have only been out of Charleston and Prt. Everglades but in those 2 ports you cannot even get to the terminal unless you already have a boarding pass.

Good question. I've never noticed anywhere at the port in Galveston where you can get to without having your boarding pass checked first.