Mediterranean in August

Deboralb

Can be very hot but we have never found it unbearably so. Greek islands and Spain can be hotter. Parts of Spain last week were reaching 47'C !

Worth it, but when we were there in 2013 it was a scorcher. I suppose it depends on your starting point. As a Brit anything over 20deg c is hot to me. It is also the school holidays and many places are very busy with tourists. We try to avoid the school holiday periods.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It was incredibly hot our 2015 trip to the point our tour guide in Santorini while climbing up the caldera fainted but last year it was hot but bearable. Still worth it. Don't know your port stops but In Pompeii I would highly recommend early in the day as there is no shade.

In 2013 last week of July, first week of August ... it was unbearably hot & humid. And the walking. The tour buses drop you about 1/2 mile or so from the thing you're there to see. I swore I would never go there during the summer again. Also, the crowds and kids because of summer vacation.

Can you go in mid to late September and not August?

I'm hoping to hear anyone's experience with cruising Italy and there Mediterranean in August. Is it unbelievably hot and humid? Worth it?

It is extremely hot and busy with the school holidays plus you are paying a prime price.

Try second week of September onwards,it will be quieter les expensive but still low 80s temperature.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Worth it - Yes

Hot - Yes

Last two years we were in the Med in August on Celebrity.

Just got off a Celebrity Baltic cruise - 50's F

Just depends on what you think about the itinerary and just assume it will be hot.

Mirage

Worth it - Yes

Hot - Yes

Last two years we were in the Med in August on Celebrity.

Just got off a Celebrity Baltic cruise - 50's F

Just depends on what you think about the itinerary and just assume it will be hot.

Mirage

Where in the Mediterranean were you where it was 50sF?

In the med from June through October you can almost guarantee 80+F and continuous sunshine.

I have had holidays​ here for almost 50 years and that has always been the case.

We were fortunate enough to be in the med twice last summer. In June the weather in Italy and Greece was totally unbearable. The day we left the ship in Athens it was 104 degrees. Consequently I was dreading what the temperatures would be in the South of France in August. However I was pleasantly surprised that most days it was about 85. So I guess you never can tell

We were fortunate enough to be in the med twice last summer. In June the weather in Italy and Greece was totally unbearable. The day we left the ship in Athens it was 104 degrees. Consequently I was dreading what the temperatures would be in the South of France in August. However I was pleasantly surprised that most days it was about 85. So I guess you never can tell

One thing you can guarantee in the Mediterranean in August is it will be 80+f and sunny every day.

I'm hoping to hear anyone's experience with cruising Italy and there Mediterranean in August. Is it unbelievably hot and humid? Worth it?

If you are fairly young, fit and healthy, dress appropriately, (including headwear), tour early morning and drink lots of water you will be fine! If you are older or have any health issues you will struggle. In our 20's we toured day in day out around Florence and Venice and loved the heat. In our 40's we found it hot and tiring but coped....now, August is a non starter for us for touring cruises in the heat!

It is really hot, the city's can be dusty but Italy remains one of our favourite places to visit...

If you are fairly young, fit and healthy, dress appropriately, (including headwear), tour early morning and drink lots of water you will be fine! If you are older or have any health issues you will struggle. In our 20's we toured day in day out around Florence and Venice and loved the heat. In our 40's we found it hot and tiring but coped....now, August is a non starter for us for touring cruises in the heat!

It is really hot, the city's can be dusty but Italy remains one of our favourite places to visit...

The weather is great if you just want to sunbathe but for tours it is very uncomfortable.

I've been once in the summer (July or August, don't remember for sure) and once in early November, and I would choose November every time. Visited Herculaneum both times and in the summer it was hot, sweaty, packed with people, very difficult to really see anything. In November it was a nice cool sunny day and there was almost nobody there--it was GREAT. Same thing in Florence though of course it was still quite busy there, just not as busy as in the summer. Ephesus was amazing in November--couldn't contemplate trying to see it through all the crowds in the summer.

That said, while Athens was hot and packed in summer...the day I was there in November was cold, blustery and rainy--so it's all a matter of luck!

We did a Mediterranean cruise mid December last year. The weather was 60-70s. You don't want to be there in the heat plus the crowds in December were not that bad.

The weather was great. In Sicily I didn't even need a coat. Plus the airfare is much lower.