1st purchases made off my need for cruise list, what items do you make sure you take?

parentsof5

I pack my "dress" shoes inside husband's shoes. Have a long black dress you can't wrinkle if you wring it out and change it out with two sparkly, dressy tops for each formal night and wear one twice if there are more than two formal nights. I make a list of outfits I plan to wear every day right down to the color of socks and jewelry. Then I start mixing and matching pulling out all the "one trick ponies" that will only be worn once and anything else that would be "deadheading." Take dark clothes that can be "spot cleaned" if necessary. If one top gets mustard on it, I have another top that I can wear with the same bottom and vice versa. Each item is scheduled for two wearings and could go three if necessary. I take black and beige dress slacks and change out tops for dinner. Tops go with both pairs of slacks.

After deciding just what I want to take, I make a categorized list of tops, bottoms, accessories, etc. and when I go to pack, I take only what is on that list. No "might wants, could maybe use," etc. I have never wished I had something that wasn't on the list.

I have a collapsible suitcase that fits in the bottom of a regular suitcase. Use that as a hamper and, on occasion have had to use it in an emergency on return. NCL destroyed one on embarkation and denied doing it so they wouldn't replace it even though I pointed out that it would have never been accepted to load in the condition it was in. Another time, I had shopped more than I should have (lol). I pack my outfits in jumbo zip lock bags and put half on one suitcase, half in another so if one takes a different itinerary than I do, I can limp along. I take the "formal" clothes in my carry-on along with bathing suit, a pair of shorts, two tops, sandals, and underwear--whatever else I might need immediately like make-up-- for a couple of days. Packing in zip lock bags makes it easy to move things around and not disturb everything if you need to "dig" for an item. It, also, was very helpful when they ruined my suitcase in that the items in it were not scattered all over the place and lost but contained.

Hope this helps.

That isn't really necessary when most everyone has a smart phone...and then there is also the wake up call.

Excuse me, but who are you to say that what I take is not necessary? Do you have anything productive to offer to the conversation, or are you just going to critique the rest of us as we attempt to provide the OP with actual assistance?

Excuse me, but who are you to say that what I take is not necessary? Do you have anything productive to offer to the conversation, or are you just going to critique the rest of us as we attempt to provide the OP with actual assistance?

I too was told by a different poster that what I bring onboard is also not necessary. CC has become something else in the last year or so. No wonder hardly any newbies post; they're probably scared off by the know-it-alls on here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That isn't really necessary when most everyone has a smart phone...and then there is also the wake up call.

My one cruise with the time change my phone wasn't the right time so that wouldn't work well for an alarm clock

I too was told by a different poster that what I bring onboard is also not necessary. CC has become something else in the last year or so. No wonder hardly any newbies post; they're probably scared off by the know-it-alls on here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ain't that the truth. I have been a bit surprised/appalled this time around. This is supposed to be a place to have fun, help each other, get excited, etc. If one more person says, do a search....good grief. If we all did that, we would be reading about cruise tips from 2001, not to mention we couldn't share the excitement of the one thing we all have in common.

Large binder clips serve a dual purpose. Yes to closing the shades of the room. Yes to weighing down the shower curtain so that it stays INSIDE the shower. I am one of those that always over packs for cruises. What the heck. I'm on vacation and want to be comfortable. Take what you want. I'm the one that takes a shower curtain and magnetic hooks to make a room divider. Yes to an alarm clock. There are no power supplies next to the beds so that the phone can charge and be useful at the same time.

If you have cellular data turned off or your phone is in airplane mode which I'm sure everyone does, the time on the phone can't update should their be a time change during the night. This usually happens on Caribbean itineraries and of course when you are traveling between different time zones. You can change it manually before hand if you are aware of the change.

If you have cellular data turned off or your phone is in airplane mode which I'm sure everyone does, the time on the phone can't update should their be a time change during the night. This usually happens on Caribbean itineraries and of course when you are traveling between different time zones. You can change it manually before hand if you are aware of the change.

We did fine changing several time zones by manually changing the time on our phones. The room steward left a note each time we were changing time zones and I believe it was in the latter too...? We did a wake up call for backup though.

Sorry, the wake up call has failed us more than once and hey! I'm on holiday on the other side of the world and my phone is packed away. Always travel with my own alarm clock.

I pack our Princess travel mugs when we cruise as the one "must bring" item. I'm the early-riser and will grab coffee at the IC and then log-in to the internet, and then refill /get a small plate of pastries which balances nicely on the top of the mug if I return to the cabin.

An alarm clock.

Yes, but we use it as a clock so as to always know what time it is without any effort. It must be battery powered only (small and light weight) and the digital time must be continually displayed.

Battery operated tea lights for at night, finding your way to the bathroom.

Sample size perfume spray or tiny Febreze to keep the bathroom smelling good.

Zippered plastic pouch for dirty undies/socks, keeps them segregated well.

Small suction basket for shower if you have a lot of products. There's never enough storage unless you're above balcony category.

All meds you could possibly ever need.

Plastic rain poncho. Very handy when your excursion carries on in heavy rain.

Small bills to tip tour guides, etc.

Clothes that will still fit at the end of the cruise, to wear home! No tight pants! Been there, done that.

I have taken an alarm clock but found it more annoying to use than my phone. Both will need to have the time manually updated so it's one less thing to worry about. If no smart phone, then yes it's good to have.

I don't bother with the Lysol anymore. Always forget to spray it and we've never gotten sick.

Tide to go pen.

Two things I always bring on a cruise:

1) Medicine or Patch for nausea and/or motion sickness.

2) Someone also mentioned this one, I always take a dental repair kit and I am thankful to say, I have never needed mine either....knock on wood!

Two things I always bring on a cruise:

1) Medicine or Patch for nausea and/or motion sickness.

2) Someone also mentioned this one, I always take a dental repair kit and I am thankful to say, I have never needed mine either....knock on wood!

My wife always takes a dental repair kit also. One year our cabin steward's dental cap fell out and my wife gave him the kit so he could fix it. Princess couldn't fix it on the ship and he would have had to wait until he got to Florida. He was so happy and thankful to my wife. She got extra chocolate every night on her pillow. :D

Tony

My wife always takes a dental repair kit also. One year our cabin steward's dental cap fell out and my wife gave him the kit so he could fix it. Princess couldn't fix it on the ship and he would have had to wait until he got to Florida. He was so happy and thankful to my wife. She got extra chocolate every night on her pillow. :D

Tony

:halo:What a nice thing for you wife to do.

Something I didn't see listed that I am sure to have are flossers - combination dental floss and pick. These might have been mentioned, but we also pack ear plugs (they don't block all noise but enough to aid sleep) and a light weight blanket from home. Having something that smells/feels like home is a big plus for us since ship/hotel linens often have a strong bleach smell to me. The blanket is also nice for the balcony if it is chilly.

I always put a small scissors in my make up bag. I have a small laundry bag from the container store for dirty underwear etc.

I'm of the same mind to lay everything out and then get rid of half. A 2 week cruise would never make it for me in one bag.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.5 HD using Forums mobile app

We always bring a see through over the door shoe holder to use in the bathroom. We store all our toiletries in it. Keeps the bathroom counter clear and you can find anything quickly. When we go to hotels we always save the shower caps. We like to enjoy a drink on our balcony with some cheese and fruit. The caps are a great cover for the plates and keep it from drying out. We saw these tips on many years ago and have always taken them along.